Mini remote, a retrospect.

I have done it, 18650 won’t fit without significant modification and removal of support pieces. I don’t recommend.

18500 fits with removal of battery compartment only.

14500 fits with ZERO structural modification at all, right in the AA cell holders, and the cells last for a really long time. You could even put a spare charged one in the other side if you wanted.

3 Likes

An 18650 wouldn’t leave any room for the better switch and pcb! (Who likes opening that case ever :face_vomiting:)

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll lean on your experience Brian :+1::blush:
Save myself some headaches

1 Like

This is what started the legend of Trollsnot

All the city cut-outs made @whaddy try butt boarding and now has become a staple in his quiver.

3 Likes

Any chance you can open one of these older boys open and send a picture of front and back if pcb. Maybe something has changed in newer units.

How to bind the Mini Remote [Serious]

It didn’t come with a 1s pcb with micro usb, I put that in. I can open up my dead one and take a pic later on so you can see what I did

I’ve been using a case modded mini remote for most of this year.

I love the form factor and feel in the hand. It has a big Li-Ion battery in it, 800-1000mah I think. It will last a few days if left on accidently, and it gives it a bit of heft for its size.

I added some throw to the remote, and that adds a lot of control. I bought a Magneto Wand hoping it would be amazing, but the throw is tiny and it makes the ride kinda jerky. It just sits in a drawer now.

ezgif-4-73017f6b77

I built a few GT2B remotes, and when I was building this mini remote I was really underwhelmed by the PCB and build quality.

The GT2B has an external shielded radio module, an external antenna, comes with a lithium battery, wires are twisted by default, robust on/off switch, and the throttle pots have a metal housing that feels a lot more durable.

The Mini has none of that, and the GT2B is only about $10 more.

The only drawback to the GT2B seems to be the size, which is where the mini shines.

I live out in the country and ride mostly on bike paths or subdivisions, so performance wise the Mini remote works fine. When I’m riding in the city though I get the occasional dropout. I’ve also tested it through a few walls and it has a hard time keeping connection compared to the Z.Mote which may become my new favorite remote. Curious to see how it compares with the Unfancy remote once that’s built.

5 Likes

You going to try the ZMote trigger?

Nah, I’m a thumb guy. That last pic is his thumb version of the Z.Mote

It looked a lot better before I crashed with it :smiley:

4 Likes

Yup, I first saw those on eBay last year. Looks great. I’m just breaking in the trigger version, and I’m pretty happy with it.

2 Likes

1 Like

Plan is to watch it burn

2 Likes

I used a mini for roughly 500km on my nimblestiff build. I thought it was great. Used the same case mod as @jaykup

Only had one micro cutout at a busy shopping centre.

Majority suburban riding.

Been using the mini remote for just over a year now, on and off over 2 years. Been loving it. Only ever had disconnects in one spot in downtown.

These days the internals live inside this shittily printed rehousing.

And yeah 2xAA still going strong. Have recharged them maybe 4x in the passed 2 years.

2 Likes

1 Like

Please do, while I’m a bit too far to send you spare remote I have. Maybe there is someone else near you who can lend theirs.

Overall looking at the current reviews I can see 2 significant patterns.
1.Remote works very well in countryside, rarely cuts out in suburban environments, and cuts out often in urban places with noisy RF spectrum. However, no total signal loss for significant amount of time.
2.Older remotes seem to be more reliable. I’m looking for pictures of older mini remote units, main board front and back. @b264 said he would open is older units, if anyone has unit bought before 2019/2020 (even modded) please send a picture. When posting pictures please include information from where you bought it roughly (ali express, amazon vanpro edition, torqueBoards etc).

3 Likes

I have heard this as well. They seem to have changed something for the worse at some point in time and i’m not sure if it ever got better again. @Pottsy can probably elaborate

2 Likes

I want to get in on this chat.

I have 10 set ups of various types that use the Mini remote.

It is my to to and I have been totally happy with it.

But I may be thinking of breaking because of some recent weirdness.

If you haven’t got one yet I can send you one.