Mini remote, a retrospect.

The mini remote. For years it has been touted as a great and reliable remote in noisy environments after shortcomings of remotes such as vx1 and many other and still makes lists as go-to remote for beginners. After a year of using Ive been less than impressed. Ive given this remote quite an optimism but after many recent accidents i thought I give my retrospect. I suggest everyone to chime in their experience both positive and negative so that maybe we can update existing information on weather this remote deserves itā€™s throne. This thread is not attack personally on anyone who likes this remote. Iā€™m not judging anyone who uses this remote daily. This is serious revisit to remote that is both loved and hated and I want to look into weather itā€™s still safe to use for those who are just getting in this hobby or is it just me getting shit batch.

So what is this remote is a good question. Ive tried multiple times to find origin of this remote, yet my findings have fallen short. Couple of other friends of mine have tried and failed as well. It is unknown who manufactures it or what remote it tries to copy.
My research

• Manual and receiver

Remoteā€™s receiver comes with a manual, however it talks about some mystical ā€˜ā€˜2.4Ghz remote with lcdā€™ā€™, if anyone can shed a light on this it would be great. The channels themselves or their binding isnā€™t explained. Instead I found this random terrible chart on web. My tests with oscilloscope showed that channel 1 is connected to trigger, channel 2 is connected to steering, and channel 3 doesnā€™t provide anything. Maybe RC people here can explain what is ā€˜ā€˜300ohm resistor locking featureā€™ā€™. Channel 4 also gives out nothing and is only there for binding. Receiver case however hints us that at some point channel 3 and 4 could also give out signal, but that feature has been removed/lost.

• Hardware

Opening it up gives us nothing much

A very sloppy job on crystal department, I guess factory ran out of properly sized crystal oscillators and took leftover 16mhz large onesā€¦ The wires are terrible, hard to solder, 5 bends and they snap off. I replaced mine with propper stranded ones right away. Trigger obviously is potentiometer based.

Board department isnā€™t much better. Main MCU PN has been taken off as expected. I Havenā€™t bothered reverse engineering what chip it is, however if I have to guess, I would place my bets on some older PIC or attiny series / their china clones. From many remotes this one hasnā€™t been reverse engineered by many of the open RC protocol projects.
Regarding RF driver chip, itā€™s A7105 a very archaic chip.

• RF
    Iā€™m hoping someone can chime in on this. If I have to guess, this remote achieves itā€™s reliability by ether using high power levels or doing some other illegal RF shenanigans. However I have no equipment to test it.

• My experience with this remote

I have been using this remote for over a year in mostly city - suburban enviroment. Very RF noisy. This is torqueboards edition batch. I have been having random cutouts under different loads. At first I thought it was my vesc being silly. However after further tests I can say for certain that the remote is at fault. It will most certainly cutout if voltage starts dropping below ~2.2v. In cold weather it likes to drop out more. I still run stock setup with replaceable batteries and itā€™s easy to tell when batteries are falling flat (you get cutouts even at 10km/h on flat surface). Remote works fine in common vx1 dropout spots in Riga. However it fails at others with very persistent cutouts but no total dropout.

The trigger while being controversial for being dangerous didnā€™t bothered me. However what did was very bad quality turn of slider switch that wouldnā€™t turn off sometimes and lack of dead mans switch.

Overall ergonomics are better than most remotes on market. However battery department is problematic. The plates that make contact with negative side of battery are very thin. I had an accident where after a cutout remote fell on ground. Battery weight managed to smash one of elastic plates totally flat and I had to manually bend it back for it to make contact with battery.

As for other local riders that donā€™t browse this forum, most had same experience: never hard throttle this remote, always be careful, bad on/off switch.

EDIT: When giving feedback please mention in what environment you are mostly using remote: Urban/Suburban/Countryside/Something else. It will make understanding itā€™s performance lot more easier and objective.

7 Likes

Iā€™m going to force my friend who got this remote to read this post.

I tried my best to tell him about the failsafe and bad power switch and all that, I asked later and he had no idea then I had told him.

1 Like

I have not had great experiences with this remote recently in urban areas like Manhattan, but in rural areas it works a lot better.

The main thing I like about it are the ergonomics and adjustments.

It needs an update.

1 Like

It can be different for each user. Meaning each user doesnā€™t treat the remote the same way. Different results for different people.

I e had 3 of these on 3 different boards and neither of them have never failed me. Never! Maybe a dead battery but nothing mechanical or electrical.

You know the saying donā€™t talk shit wonā€™t be shit? Donā€™t treat the remote bad and it wonā€™t be bad.

My experience

City/suburban

1 Like

About the battery compartment, I really like how you can put a 14500 li-ion 4.2V cell in there (or a 14500 LiFePO4 cell*) and use it that way. Of course you have to jumper/short the other side.

* the LiFePO4 cells donā€™t give any warning when they are about to die

Only problem Iā€™ve had is when you drop it and the AA batteries bend the contact tabs back and isnā€™t touch th battery anymore my a dab of hot glue behind them does wonders.

1 Like

Oh yeah, for this to be more productive. When giving feedback, please meantion the enviroment you are using it in. Countryside/City/Suburban/ something else.

Donā€™t drop it. Problem solved lol.

2 Likes

No, I donā€™t want to.

2 Likes

You forgot ā€œyouā€™re not my daddyā€

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got lots of these and use them daily, and have been for years.

Countryside: no issues

Suburban: no issues

City: mostly no issues

City/downtown: isolated issues, mostly in the same place all the time

City/Manhattan: widespread micro-cutouts

Near an event at a stadium or convention center, like a sports event, or a place with tens of thousands of cell phones: terrible. Avoid.

2 Likes

One bad thing about this remote is the power switch. If you are always gentle with it, and operate it with a fingernail, it seems to be fine. But if you use your finger tips, it seems like it will always eventually fail, at least in my experience.

1 Like

I have had equal issues with every remote out there. But this one seemed to be one of the most reliable, for me. Iā€™ve never used it in itā€™s normal form, though. I donā€™t like the throw of the throttle and brake. So, I have always used it in a 3d printed case. Both in thumb Mini Remote Thumb Drive V2 by jaatis - Thingiverse and trigger Mini Remote Case for Eskate by niak55 - Thingiverse form. I, personally, have never had an issue with the power switch.

2 Likes

I have a fairly high end RF spectrum analyzer that scans 800mhz-6ghz, if someone has a spare that they want to lend me to test Iā€™ll post the results. Iā€™m about to do the same with the VX1/2, VX4, Puck, and OSRR for comparison.

9 Likes

Well I was going to send you one but my Amazon supplier is no longer selling. Itā€™s almost like all of that style remote is no longer on Amazonā€¦

Find another way home pizza boy.

I might have an extra somewhere in the shop though. If I find it Iā€™ll send it.

1 Like

Still available here

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used these for years, since I started eskate. The power switch and internal wires are crappy for sure. Never had a cutout before either rural here in Hawaii or urban back in Seattle. I donā€™t like disposable batteries or not knowing if charge is low so I customize these with 14500 lithium battery, 1s pcb with micro USB charge port, better wires, a rocker power switch and a tiny voltage display so I know when to charge. I also like to flip the stock power switch to on and hot glue it in place so I never have to touch it again! With the mods I love these things!! I canā€™t stand any thumb drive remote so this was and seems to be the only reasonably sized option.
They look like this after I hack em up and make stronger :muscle::muscle:

11 Likes

I use these remotes on 2 of my boards.

I ride city, sub/urban. And country. In small Denmark. Never had connection issues anywhere.

Only thing Iā€™ve experienced is the bad switch. Iā€™m going to change it ā€œwhen I have timeā€ :joy:

I also want to do a 14500 mod. Or maybe dremel the batt case and see if I can fit a single 18650. Anyone done this?

I have done it, 18650 wonā€™t fit without significant modification and removal of support pieces. I donā€™t recommend.

18500 fits with removal of battery compartment only.

14500 fits with ZERO structural modification at all, right in the AA cell holders, and the cells last for a really long time. You could even put a spare charged one in the other side if you wanted.

3 Likes

An 18650 wouldnā€™t leave any room for the better switch and pcb! (Who likes opening that case ever :face_vomiting:)

1 Like