Metr Pro Updates

Yo, where is my shoutout. I asked for that 25 days ago :joy::joy:

Also, sick update! Canā€™t live without metro pro anymore!

EDIT: appreciate it :heart: :laughing:

3 Likes

Fixed, thanks! Short memory :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

That looks awesome! Well Done.
@rpasichnyk would it be possible to add a voice-note (voice to text) that goes into the logs and shows on the graphs. This would be pretty handy to add a note about conditions when testing and riding etc.

1 Like

Another thing. Due to the bug from last time, iā€™m still in the Play store Beta program. Should i leave it before i download the update or is it not necessary?

I was literally waiting for this sale for so long! :sweat_smile:
I tracked back to last yearā€™s Black Friday and saw that you did one the week before it. So I was refreshing that page all that time to see if you would do one again this year.

2 Likes

OMFG SO AWESOME @rpasichnyk!! Thank you so much!!! Man, you work quickā€¦ even though I may not ride tonight I am super pumped to start making some super custom modes, probably right now :grimacing::grinning::smile:

And the discharge feature is awesome! Iā€™ll be using that this winter a bit for sure, no more full charge the night before and getting unexpected snow for a week and worrying about sitting on a board with a full chargeā€¦ mmmmm YES!!!

3 Likes

Is the update live on the play store?

Looks like it is pushed and should be available pretty soon.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Then we need a tutorial on adding those sensors to motors ! :smiley:

No harm to the battery when discharging at a very low current for a long time ? And what is the max discharge current we can use (or how to calculate it so we can know how long it will take for your own batteries) ?

Thanks guy for this awesome feature ! Gonna buy another module to help your business.

2 Likes

This is a killer feature, brilliant, canā€™t wait to try this out, no more sitting on a full pack remorse.

1 Like

Epic!

This is interesting, thanks for the idea. However the feature needs a lot of time so probably wonā€™t be coming soon.

@xsynatic you can leave the beta program if you donā€™t want to be the first getting updates :stuck_out_tongue:

The recommended motor current is 15A. This results in about 0.5A battery current in my setup. You can start from there and tweak depending on your motors. Discharger feature is still experimental and you need to pay attention while using it. The app will not allow you to use motor current higher than 30A. It will also stop discharging if motor temp reaches 60C or VESC temp reaches 70C

You will see Wh value increasing on the discharge screen. By observing that value over time you can estimate how long it would take to discharge your battery.

4 Likes

The update is now out in the stores!
There was one more thing included

DieBieMS expert configurationšŸ˜Ž

13 Likes

Just wanted to make sure i donā€™t get unstable beta updates. If it means iā€™m early then iā€™m staying haha

1 Like

Hey Roman, Iā€™m having some issues with the latest update. I am running Acks and he has some custom PPM control modes other than default. These PPM modes read and write correctly on Expert settings mode:

In the modes section I can write settings adequately, but if I read and then write I get a timeout during app configuration writeā€¦

ā€¦ and the PPM control modes listed in the modes screen seem to be different:

I thought maybe if I donā€™t add an advanced setting that it wonā€™t read or apply that particular setting, but it seems to try to read and write all these settings in the backgroundā€¦ setting values are already populated when adding, and writing any mode after reading presumably tries to apply all these values causing the app write timeout (maybe because itā€™s trying to change to a mismatched PPM control mode for me?)

Are these settings a static list of variables separate from the expert settings variables? Would it be possible to query the installed vesc firmware for a list of additional variables (like how the expert settings pane seems to do)?

Would it be possible to only read/write only the settings added to the modes screen?

Just spit-balling, let me know if I am hitting somewhere on the dart board or if Iā€™m hitting the wallā€¦ I am only guessing how the app is working based off my observations.

Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Keeping an eye on that. Iā€™m running Ack too. Havenā€™t updated yet.

1 Like

This is how changing mode works:

1. Metr app reads motor / app configuration from VESC
  2. Changes ONLY those values specified in the mode screen and ONLY if they are present in motor / app configuration. Older firmwares do not have app_ppm_conf_smart_rev_ramp_time for example
  3. Writes back motor / app configuration

It might feel a little slow, because there are no incremental command to change only some part of configuration. Currently whole motor / app configuration must be fetched / sent every time.

Thanks for detailed explanation, I figured it out. The issue happened because there are differences between official and Ackmaniacs firmwares. For Modes I just took latest from FW 3.62. And it doesnā€™t match with ackmaniacs FW 3.100+

In fact, the parameter you are interested in shares the same name app_ppm_conf_ctrl_type with a different set of values:

"Off;Current;Current No Reverse;Current No Reverse With Brake;Duty Cycle;Duty Cycle No Reverse;PID Speed Control;PID Speed Control No Reverse;Current Hyst Reverse With Brake;Current Smart Reverse"

3.100+
"Off;Current;Current No Reverse;Current No Reverse With Brake;Duty Cycle;Duty Cycle No Reverse;PID Speed Control;PID Speed Control No Reverse;PID Speed Control No Acceleration;Cruise Control Via Slave"

This is a problem because these values serialize into a number and sent to VESC when applying configuration. So you might think you are applying Current Hyst Reverse With Brake, but if you are using Ackmaniacs FW, it will be PID Speed Control No Acceleration

I renamed this parameter (and some others), they are now prefixed with ack_. Maybe I will come up with a different solution later, but I always keep in mind that Metr app should work with all firmware versions and modes can be shared.

I pushed a new version v4.1.1 to Google Play Store, it should be available soon, please give it a try!

11 Likes

Hot damn, metr is the gift that keeps on giving. :+1:

7 Likes

Just tried this and it works for a little while until my phone screen goes off and it stops. When I use the normal metr live view my screen stays on.

Second thing I run into is my diebiems has auto off enabled. This discharge function doesnā€™t seem to overrule this.

iPhone 7 by the way.

Thatā€™s normal your screen goes off. The app still runs in the background as long as there is bluetooth connection. Discharge consumes about 0.5A battery current. DieBieMS has ā€œNot used current threshold=1Aā€ by default. Thatā€™s why it stops. I recommend changing it to 0.3A. What DieBieMS firmware version do you have?