Metr Pro Updates

Please don’t worry. Nothing is end of life. You can see the situation as following: current generation Metr Pro modules are out of stock. But they are perfectly capable and those who managed to grab them recently for the price, that hasn’t been changed for several years are actually lucky.

New generation hardware is currently being worked on. We now have the prototypes that we will be sending to select beta testers any time now.

The software is compatible with both current and new generation hardware. In fact some people are still using HM-10 based modules that I sold in 2018 and those still work! (apart from uploading the records)

3 Likes

Let me know of you are still looking for testers, been using metr for years and years, would love to help you guys work out kinks and stuff! My mtb is still running metr + davega, which I think is the ideal board setup.

3 Likes

Came to check for a status update on this thread; found no links to:

2 Likes

https://voyagesystems.eu/

IIUC

minnie’s available.
megan is only available to testers.

EDIT. oh, nevermind ur cross linking I think. not looking for voyage system link.

4 Likes

Ive got a unity raptor hubs and a metr Pro can.

Running 10s4p are there spesific settings for Hub motors, right now metr is maxing out at 30kph and not going any faster - should reach 55-60kph on the bench.

2 Likes

I suppose your drive settings are incorrect. For a hub drive you will want to have “Motor pulley teeth” and “Wheel pulley teeth” set to the same value in Settings > Motor. That way the gearing ratio is 1:1.

1 Like

turns out my motor poles were set to 28 instead of 14…edit:18 forgot it was a different motor

Set it to 14 and had quite a speed boost but past 25kph was slower.
set it to 18 counted the poles on the inner motor. (not sure the name)

Set to 18 poles and preformance was insane. (so i guess the silly question is what does that mean to set more poles/less than there are.

3 Likes

im back, pole pairs, the sator has 18 the motor has 20… does that mean pole pairs are then 20?

I believe the number of stator poles is relevant. It’s probably 18 poles, not 18 pole pairs, isn’t it?

Motor poles are the number of magnets. This is what the VESC uses under Motor Settings → Additional Info → Motor Poles.

Pole Pairs are the number of magnets divided by 2. This is useful for calculating ERPMs which is (voltage * Kv * pole pairs).

So for this motor you would use 20 in the VESC tool if there are 20 magnets on the rotor (the part that rotates)

1 Like

thanks!

this is helpful, whats weird its a 10s4p pack with 1s dead.

when set to 18 the motor reachest 50kph, when set to 20 reaches only 44.7kph. could that be the battery settings at 9s casuing the loss in speed since the true speed with 10s should be 50-55kph?

Actual speed is dependent on voltage, kv, gearing and wheel size, provided there is enough power in watts to get there. You can do the math on the esk8 calc at the top of this page. This means a fully charged battery will have a higher top speed than a partially charged battery, and it’s a fairly significant difference.

The pole setting is just how the vesc calculates motor rpm, which is needed to display an accurate speed, since it only knows electrical rpms. So if this value is adjusted the vesc tool will show different speeds, but an independent gps app would still show the same speed provided the battery is at the same voltage.

More concerning is the battery with “1s dead”. What are your p group voltages when fully charged? How about when empty? Is the discharge bypassed and will it get over discharged by relying on a vesc cutoff voltage that assumes a pack with a balanced p group? How did 1s die? Is this battery still safe to use and charge or is it a fire waiting to happen?

1 Like

well 9 groups are balenced and 1 is dead down to under a volt. the battery was still 38.8v fully charged rather than 42v. but normally when on the bench top speed easily was 50kph… weird that it goes from 44-50kp from wrong pole settings since the correct settings on the rotor are 20… tried even setting the motors in config the same way.

Battery still seems like it shouldn’t be used and is probably causing speed issues as well.

4 Likes

Setting the number of poles in vesc tool doesn’t change the physical speed, just the calculated speed.

Continuing to use that battery will likely result in a literal fire, you should dispose of it properly as soon as possible

Also, @xsynatic from post #2121 onwards is solid derail

4 Likes

you say that after like 3 years that the packs been 9s without much concern to surprise it’s a raptor potter pack. guess some of that raptor stuff did last long. still never figured out what killed that group i suspect the bms

i did try a fresh pack, same results. but im starting to suspect it’s the HFI/combo with cables that are sorta loose. (phase wires)

wow its EOL did not know tha- for what reasons, originally years ago, a metr was the best simple upgrade for a board