Meepo Hurricane Discussion

This is true. The guys smashing it on their dkps on the race track were not in this boat. I rode their boards too and found them easier than mine in bends. But yeah, TB 4wd DD not exactly setup for racing. I modified it as best as I could. Ran 5° wedge on front to change to 55° overall and went as soft as I could with bushings running a barrel/cone combo. Had my motors hitting the baseplate so was maxing out my turning ability haha. Rear I ran a 5° de-wedge so 45° and a fat cone/barrel combo. Oh and 115mm airless rubber, which is not bad but also not as grippy as pneumatics obviously.

Racing is so much fun! Hope the sport keeps growing!!!

7 Likes

How much of a difference do your think the bindings make when it comes to sharp turns?

2 Likes

Massive difference

6 Likes

Yeah I’d argue you can put nearly twice as much force into a turn with bindings

Even half bindings I’m sure would make a big difference. There’s a reason the Stooge riders have a front binding

3 Likes

Loose trucks rule…

Do you guys think I can put the MBS F5 bindings on this wheel? Also, what are the chances I can use lacroix trucks?

If you wanna drill holes, sure

Nope. Board only works with angled baseplates.

2 Likes

This seems like quite a silly question on the face of it so I’m probably missing something. I’m curious what you had in mind?

2 Likes

Tried it, not even close in terms of manuverability around those tight continuous corners. They required much more significant braking as well.

Very much agree. I personally prefer DKP because my use cases for boards never exceed 70km/h and up till that I can stay stable on my board. I also use my board to commute a lot so maneuverability at lower speeds is a must for me.

Of course you got your other trucks which makes more sense in other scenarios, but for the race, I think it was clearly the choice that made most sense.

These go-kart track races are more about corners than straights (unless designed differently). Manuverability, leanable angle (involving truck angle as well as traction on tires), matters the most, braking, acceleration and launch speed are next, top speed matters the least. Keeping other variables the same, a more maneuverable board would beat the time of a less maneuverable board every single time.

There were like 5 trampas in the event, had amazing launch speed and torque, but lost to the hurricane at corners. The racers weren’t novices as well, most people in the race had ridden esk8 for 3-6 years. After lockdown ends you are very welcomed to come and compete, I’m curious to see the results.

That’s so true. I really feel bad for DKP because most of its problems that people are experiencing results in bad tuning. With the correct bushing setup, I’m able to have maneuverability, stability at high speed as well as handle-able high torque launches.

I agree, bushing don’t do any of its good work unless they aren’t pre-compressed. They are supposed to bounce back after compression, what good will it do if you tighten the trucks so much that it’s basically compressed almost to its limits?

And I do think DKP should also have loose setups AND definitely right weight distribution plus a pair of chrome ankles :wink:

7 Likes

maybe these are your jam…not really bindings…
grafik
maybe yobis (?)/freeboard if you can use the truck holes (not sure)

1 Like

well, looks like meepo win on the chinese prebuilt board battery catagory :joy: ain’t nobody putting a 100a discharge bms in any board

5 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the meepo 100a bms and 70a ESC mean it comes stock at ~3,500w and can max out to ~5,000w with vesc ?

1 Like

It comes stock with 1500W per motor and it is capable of more than double, or even tripple of that with an aftermarket ESC. It’s hands down the best bang for buck on the ESK8 market.

4 Likes

if only their motor wires isn’t thin like hair

5 Likes

Is that the case on the hurricane?

Very likely
Hurricane esc:

Picture is not really representative. Motor wires have always been smaller than the esc phase wires.

Heres the thickness of current/,past meepo hub motors (older photo with different connectors)

6 Likes

The wires in that screen cap, presumably from Dkwan’s video, look to be at least 1 or two sizes bigger than those hub motor ones. Also, hub motors always have smaller wires in my experience

In the top pic it looks like maybe 14awg wire?

2 Likes

Here is a 12Awg vs meepo hubs comparison i took a while back. My guess is that the hurricane wires are not as thin, but still not thick enough.

t

2 Likes

Anyone here thinking of getting a Zeus or a Hurricane just for parts? Replacing the deck, and the ESC, and be done with it?

2 Likes

Replace the deck? That’s like a $300 component. Just build from scratch at that point :sweat_smile:
Usually its not worth doing something like that. There are still components which you’re better off sourcing from the DIY scene initially.

6 Likes