Meepo Hurricane BMS alternative

Hey guys!

So my meepo hurricane battery and esc are dead and the meepo support hasn’t helped me out much while we have been in contact for 3 months.

Since a bit of research and the help of you guys I figured out that probably only the bms on the battery is faulty.

My plan is to replace the bms so I can use the battery again. Do you guys know of a really small smart discharge bms that I could use?

4 Likes

just do bypass, and charge only bms

12s Daly bms is quite small if u go the charge only method

have u open up the battery metal case? maybe u got some pic?

3 Likes

I talked to the battery builder @Simeon and he said that it has to be a discharge bms.

I would have a Daly bms for a 12s battery at home.

I think it has to happen in the next time because my battery already discharged to 38,5V, I would cry if the battery dies :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

how so? @Simeon

1 Like

this isn’t boosted / evolve, there shouldn’t be any communication between bms and esc, just discharge wires, u shouldn’t need a discharge bms

1 Like

there is no, or at least never has been so far. I ran my own batteries with Hobbywing for years. Even Lingyi for a short period.

2 Likes

I would love to put the Daly bms on it if it’s safe!

1 Like

it is safer to have discharge bypass…speaking from experience, i legit flew because of discharge bms cutout on me, i don’t even full throttle any of my non bypass board anymore

1 Like

It’s certainly not build to be opened up easily :sweat_smile:
I have no idea how to get that battery out, i think it’s glued into the frame.

1 Like

I’ve opened the dead batteries from @ridiculed and came to the conclusion, that the stock BMS doesn’t even balance with a few other battery builders.
It seems to fail somewhat regularly from what I’ve seen here.

@xsynatic I advised @Kev for a discharge BMS because there will be no under discharge protection.
For us DIYer’s with vescs it’s not a problem, because the vesc protects the battery from being drained too much. But I don’t know how a shitty lingyi handles this. And I don’t expect from a regular non tech guy to monitor his battery pretty much every time he goes riding.

I will try to fit in a charge only llt for one of the batteries of my friend and have already told him of the risks. He now has to check battery voltage when riding, so he won’t drain the battery past it’s limit.

4 Likes

I do believe LingYi as well as Hobbywing (HW has it 100%) both have voltage cutoffs programmed on their ESC.

Because even running a 10s4p 30Q pack back in the day brought me to a crawl when using HW.

2 Likes

I don’t know for sure, that’s why I recommend a discharge BMS.
If in fact the China escs do cut the power, a charge only BMS will be completely fine ofc ^^

4 Likes

how about a single test run?

disconnect the bms and ride the board (safely assembled ) and check if it cuts power once drained.

4 Likes

I’ll do that with my lab PSU now :grin::ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes

:cold_sweat:

LLT bms should be good enough for monitoring cell voltage if needed, but still bypass tho

2 Likes

so hurricane esc connected to the lab PSU?

1 Like

Yup

2 Likes

@xsynatic you were right!

Lingyi ESC cuts at about 37V (3,08V per cell)

A charge only BMS will be alright. ^^

6 Likes

A friends Hurricane, brand new, was cutting out on him also. He said he connected a different battery and no more cutting out and eventually received another battery from Meepo and ran fine with both/either. I ordered an LLT. Factory BMS is 53mm wide and LLT is 65mm. With a little work it should fit and going to put the BT module outside the battery case.

3 Likes

A LLT smart BMS barely fits :slight_smile:
I had to desolder the UART and Temp sensor connectors and solder the wires directly.

6 Likes