MBS Matrix iii (3) discussion

If this got moved into Green Room can we make sure @MBS is bumped up to Regular?

I’m not sure members can see this category.

3 Likes

Green room is level 2 which is the member rank.

2 Likes

Perfect, just wanted to make sure we didn’t accidentally lock Joel out.

3 Likes

You can probably wedge a small Allen key in between the wall and the nut. When we get a stuck screw, we grind its head off and push out the nut with the thread still inside it.
If it screws up and you can’t do anything about it, send an email to support and I’m pretty sure they’ll have a satisfactory solution for ya

1 Like

Maybe this will sound like a crazy request from self-entitled users, but could it be possible to include speed rings with the trucks?

On the Matrix II, I ended up with some ~2mm slop once the nut reached the end of its thread, making the use of a speed ring (or two) mandatory.
Maybe it’s my fault for using 6001 bearings 12x28x8, whereas 62001 12x28x10 would have been better at eating that gap.
Anyway, providing speed rings with the trucks (like every skate truck co is doing) isn’t gonna make the cost skyrocket, whereas not having them can be a bit of a show stopper.

4 Likes

Silver would just be polished and clear anodized - likeas our rock star pro hubs.

11 Likes

Axles are removeable. Standard will still be 12mm, but planning a 9.5mm (3/8") axle option as well. I’ve wrestled between 10mm and 9.5mm, but we have history with 9.5mm axles and already offer bearing options for 9.5x28mm (MTB hubs) and 9.5x22mm (PU wheels), so that’s definitely easiest for us. Thoughts?

9 Likes

Is the current outcome of voted colors as you expected?

2 Likes

Seems fair. To me

+1

Despite what video the Loctite marketing team makes, I still prefer a nylon-insert lock nut to adhesives any day. Loctite is great and has great uses, but IMHO Nyloc nuts are better. And that’s not even taking into consideration that you can ride right away instead of waiting 24 hours for a cure.

13 Likes

Pretty close… but love having the actual data. Thanks for your help with the poll. Expect more.

6 Likes

If you’re already outside of a standard size and the weight is lighter or in the same ballpark as an existing one (so I’m guessing like 850g for the whole truck?), why not push it a little bigger and heavier for a properly noticeable gain in strength? Haven’t exactly seen many stories of people ruining Matrix IIs so it’s probably not a big issue, but a 100-200g gain on a board isn’t exactly gonna break the bank when it’s not a rolling element

3 Likes

Ah oops I didn’t see this, great minds etc etc :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, understand that for sure. The other constraint I gave myself was to weigh no more than the Matrix II (ideally less), and I achieved that. I know that’s not a big deal for esk8, but it’s still a major factor for freestyle mountainboarding (spin weight). I’m pretty happy with the strength to weight ratio of this profile. With respect to mount fitment maybe 22x22mm milled ends for the esk8 version is a good option, especially since you guys want good tolerances in that area anyway.

23 Likes

IIRC wasn’t the shape of the Matrix II optimized for grinds? What was the driving force to switch back to a square profile, given that regular mountainboarders would still probably prefer the older profile?

Not complaining because it makes esk8 easier, but I’m curious. I don’t think we outnumber regular boarders in sales yet, but maybe we do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, the weirdness of the Matrix II was driven by a few constraints, grinds definitely one of them. The square profile started with you guys in mind. Penance for the tyranny of the MII profile. The fact the square profile is on an angle makes it pretty impressive with respect to vertical (and frontal) loads. I have been known to over think/design things in the past. Sometimes simple is super. PS. I gave the bottom corners of the square a bigger fillet than the top corners to make sure it still grinds really well with plenty of meat to go through.

24 Likes

20 Likes

Nobody asked yet but guessing from that pic the kingpin is the same, more or less the bushings location and the distance from the kingpin in respect to the hanger and base seems the same.

So you would be able to use MII hangers with the MIII base? Therefore we could use the esk8 matrix hangers we have already.

2 Likes

Unfortunately… not. I tried, but a few new features (which you guys will like) and fixes of old issues prevented backward compatibility. I can explain more later when I release more details but in short it’s worth it. If anyone is wanting to stick with the old MII hangers they’re better off with old MII bases.

8 Likes

Cool with us, we got no problem adopting new standards. I think even for people who want an upgrade to their board they could use only a front Matrix III and keep the rear drive the same.

3 Likes