MBS Matrix iii (3) discussion

If the brakes threaded hole is still there we can use that like with the moon drive.

3 Likes

This tolerance stack up doesnā€™t work well for motor mounts that need to be aligned to a specific place, unless MBS tightens up the tolerance on the brake hole

There arenā€™t many mounts that I know of that use the brake hole at all. I heard that tolerance was like 0.2mm since it didnā€™t matter at all for brakes

1 Like

I like the brake hole as a way to mount lights or mud guards. I wouldnā€™t use it to mount the motors only because there are better ways to do it. Being able to take an entire drive assembly off via the axle nut is a killer feature imo.

@MBS Please consider milling 0.5mm off the ends <3 Maybe charge a premium for versions with milled ends?

8 Likes

100%

10 Likes

It really has to do with the complexity factor, tool changes, and other factors.

I bet they can make the hanger part pretty cheap and then separating it from the upper makes the operations much more simple

1 Like

if 0.5 gives such an increase in strength compared to 22mm maybe all the hangers should be bigger, like a few grams more wouldnā€™t be noticeable, would it? I can bear carrying a heavier board if it means the robot wonā€™t bend them.

Guys like @boardnamics can probably adapt pretty easily to these specs once the trucks are out.

1 Like

@MBS Since the 22.5mm profile is hollow, would it be worth downsizing to 22mm and adding wall thickness to compensate for the smaller area? Strength to weight ratio is not quite as good but should be very very close. Weight would increase slightly.
I donā€™t know how far you are in production so maybe this is completely not possible.

As for the mounting holes, my mounts have two halves that come together to get rid of the whole gap issue. The gap from set screw mounts isnā€™t critical, but the profileā€™s size tolerance being tight is, of course, desirable.

An important tolerance for (for ESK8 only) not mentioned much is the positioning/straightness of the axle relative to the hanger profile. On my hangers for example, I have GD&T on perpendicularity and positioning on the axle in attempt to keep the axle close to the center so gear drives run concentric.

Also, any chance Matrix III will have longer axles? :open_mouth: Or at least no 1/2" diameter step that cannot be utilized?

19 Likes

Skatan I hope weā€™re not too late! This sport is growing so fast, and Iā€™d love MBS to be one of the leaders (of course they already are, but competition is coming)

I really like how they do business, seem like good people.

10 Likes

I agree, big love for MBS. I would just love it if the supply chains were a bit better, bindings being out of stock almost constantly is a problem!

13 Likes

I like that we have a discourse here so mount makers and truck makers can collaborate :grin: this makes the best situation for consumers :partying_face:

10 Likes

Do you guys want me to split this into its own ā€œmbs matrix 3 discussion threadā€ in the green room?

Done

4 Likes

:+1:

7 Likes

Wall thickness? Like the hanger is actually hollow?

1 Like

Yes. Matrix II is hollow.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s right and we should deffo use this to encourage as much standardisation as we can. I know it isnā€™t going to be possible for everyone but if we can do as much as we can then everyone wins a little.

13 Likes

I might be the only one, but I would honestly prefer not to have the captured nuts in the baseplate. Nylocks are easy to use and itā€™s really not that much of an inconvenience. Plus I donā€™t have a single Matrix 2 baseplate that still has them in it after removing them from decks a couple times the seem to just fall out.

5 Likes

Just came here to mention this also. 9" tires clip my toes on those hard hard leans.

Iā€™ve had both versions on matrix 2s. One that had all captured and one that had only 2 recessed for smaller than standard headed nuts. You are not the only one who desires this.

@MBS any change to kingpin pivot point area? Metal on metal rotating always made me nervous.

Iā€™ve had no issues other than needing to double nut the kingpin to keep them from coming loose on some of the wider toleranced baseplates.

5 Likes

+1 to this. You cant really run wedge risers without having separate nuts to allow bolts to sit on an angle.

Also nylon lock rings are more effective than loctite in general, and people like to use both metric and imperial hardware

4 Likes

At the same time? That seems really confusing

4 Likes

Not at the same timešŸ˜‚

2 Likes