MBS Matrix iii (3) discussion

Some rough maths shows a 140kv 63100 motor can produce up to 10Nm torque. After 5:1 drive reduction that’s 50Nm

So on a 22mm profile, the force on that interface is 4.5kN, which is equivalent to 460 kg.

Don’t under estimate how much force this is, especially when our use case frequently involves quick changes between forward and reverse.

16 Likes

Sorry for the trouble. I got stuck in a numbers game. One of my constraints was that I needed the new profile to be stronger than the MII profile. I tried a 22mm square but it didn’t make the cut. It was lighter, but not as strong. The 22.5mm profile was the smallest I could go to meet my constraint. Same weight as MII, but stronger. I can’t find my original calcs right now, but here are some quick ones that are close (coordintate system not quite right, but gets the point across).

Out of curiosity, what is this community’s experience with slightly oversized motor mount holes?
If most mounts use 2 x set screws on adjacent sides of the square then doesn’t that push the hanger into the opposite corner of the square hole? If it’s anything other than a press fit there will be a little gap, right? If so, I’m wondering in practical terms how much it matters if the gap is .1mm or .5mm. The set screw is still taking some load right? Not preaching. Sincerely wondering. You guys have the experience. Do mounts have problems if the fit is anything other than a press fit? Or do the set screws take the load?

17 Likes

Empirically, I’ve had two motor mount hanger clamps that have been slightly looser than a press fit (didn’t require gentle tapping to fit).

On both of these clamps, the set screws were loctited and cranked down.

I have yet to retighten any hanger clamps that were press fit. I have had to reloctite and replace grubs on both the ones that have had gaps. They were both mountainboards as well.

10 Likes

I think the issue is tollerances. Say a given hanger is 22mm Square, that will usually be defined as 22 +/-0.2 and I’m sure you are working to similar tollerances so potentially the difference can be up to 0.9mm.

But hey man it’s your truck and everyone will have to work with it. We have been trying to create some sort of standard really, to increase interoperability.

16 Likes

I would agree with this. I’d rather have to sand/file for a tight fit rather than have any slop

14 Likes

Gonna get all scritchd up anyway

4 Likes

I would remove material from the mount hole so that nobody could bear witness to my savagery

6 Likes

Yeah… Er… That’s what I would do too

3 Likes

My motor mounts are designed to work with wide variations in tolerance. I allow 0.5mm oversize to account for varying hangar sizes. It doesn’t really matter if the gap is 0.1 or 0.5 unless the clamp comes loose in which case a smaller gap will stop the motor mount tilting as much…

7 Likes

Thanks for the real world feedback @Venom121212, @glyphiks, @Tony_Stark. All good food for thought.

@Lee , I do feel a bit shit with respect to lack of standardization. Despite what it might seem like (i.e Matrix II profile - haha), I do appreciate it and strive for it when I can. But strength was the trump card for this one. I’m anticipating these are going to need to be stronger in the future, not only for Mountainboarding, but for you nuts going big on electrics now (especially with the wider trucks you guys are craving).

32 Likes

I’m all for making products the best they can be without compromise🤙

18 Likes

I’ve got massive respect for you, @MBS, openly sharing delicate pre-production specs and even openly consulting with us bunch of bozos. That trust and cooperation is a credit to you and it’s really appreciated.

Now stand by for Trumpo’s imminent product announcement. :tired_face: :unamused:

29 Likes

I am not smart like you guys but isn’t that like the opposite of what a shim does. Step down shim to bring down 22.5mm to 22mm?

I’m not exactly sure what you’re saying but shims can only decrease the size of a hole

You could theoretically use like aluminum can shim to increase a 22 mm apex profile to fit in a 22.5mm mount I bet but if it’s press fit it might be annoying

Matrix 3 sounds pretty dope, looking forwards to it, but as @TheRef said, Oil slick? Yay or Nay

Will there be color options otherwise? I think a gunmetal would be super cool

4 Likes

I was replying to that lol.

2 Likes

I should have read the reply post lmao :roll_eyes:

I bet it would work, but it would really work best on deformation clamps rather than set screw ones

Lowkey I’ve developed a large dislike for any kind of setscrew clamp. They always loosen in my experience

3 Likes

Why not mill the ends to the standard? Leave the rest of the hangar the same? That’s what Trampa does.

Also, is paying a welder really cheaper than CNCing the entire thing? You already have the hangar in the mill. How do you make sure this is straight

ALSO

We dont do this anymore. We use precision now. Any mount that relies on a big grub screw digging into the hangar is outdated and not worthy of these hangars or anything with more than 1kw of power.

11 Likes

Seriously, I am sure I can gently convince that 22mm clamp to slide on the 22.5mm profile :man_shrugging:

You would be surprised, 0.5mm is a lot in fitment world. Would need to get the file out

8 Likes

Yeah you think 0.5 isn’t that much and then when you look at it, you realize its metal and that you’re going to be sitting around filing for a while.

If the clamp is built strong enough you won’t be able to convince it lol

0.05 would be a different story

+1 just something to think about @MBS

When @Boardnamics designs press fit mounts to use with his AT gear drives for these, they will slide right onto the hanger.

It is a valid question but all of the matrix II are welded so I feel like they have this process well developed by now

5 Likes