Mboards Flowstate vs Hoyt St Tabor

It’s the reason for my Bro conversion and full grip job. Sooo nice :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

maybe it was bushings? or angles?

i still have matrix II’s on a prototipo. (shorter, 30/30 angles) i put the softest riptide bushings in it. and I can do almost 3 foot diameter circles. like @tuckjohn on his tynee.

I think anything you can change the angles on you can get to turn super tight. shorter wheel base of course having the advantage.

2 Likes

Just to keep things on the up and up before I shell out opinions, I am currently working as a consultant for Hoyt.

These are both really cool boards, actually! I personally lean more to the Tabor, I find its trucks and general feel to be exceptional, but something to note is that if you have an exceptionally wide stance it may take some adjusting to, the standing platform is a couple inches tighter than most boards and while that keeps the whole thing feeling really tight and nimble, it can be a bit weird at first. If you’re able to get over that hump or it doesn’t exist for you though, the Tabor is super responsive, powerful, and built like a tank, all while being relatively compact and agile.

The big thing going for the Flowstate, however, is that it can rock MUCH larger tires, and for some people that’s a big deal, especially those in areas with mega shitty roads. While the 5" tires on the Tabor are remarkable and I love them, if you’re regularly crossing railroad tracks or live in a place with massively shitty roads, you might be more comfortable on the 6" or 7" tires that the Flowstate can equip. Also, if you’re the type of person who misses the Prototipo glory days, my understanding is that this is a very, very nice spiritual successor.

It’s also worth noting that the trucks these boards use are very different; if you’re coming from a build with channel trucks, it may be easier to adjust to the Flowstate, and if you’re coming from a DKP/TKP/RKP setup instead, it may be easier for you to adjust to the Tabor instead.

Hope that helps!

10 Likes

I think this is the key right here.

@BrennanPhelps Just curious to know… what deck are you running w/ the M2 trucks?

2 Likes

I forget the brand name but it’s the mountain board deck that says bro 96 on it. Pretty sure mboards has a prebuilt on it. It’s composite wood and carbon fiber

3 Likes
1 Like

I have channel trucks on my main and DKP on my backup so both should feel great for me. I naturally have a wide stance so it should be adjusting won’t be an issue.

What do you think of the Metroboards Pathfinder? I know that one is DKP

2 Likes

The difference in carve and turning circle between matrix 2 to matrix 3 is night and day.

It’s like comparing hypertrucks to DKP’s

2 Likes

Word out of DC is that the Tabor will accept 6" tires without modification (ie risers). I have not personally confirmed this.

3 Likes

And if you want 8in tires the Pathfinder has you covered @BrennanPhelps

I rode this Tabor with 6in tires in NYC, worked well!

3 Likes

That’s awesome! I have to deal with train tracks in Tampa and lots of brick roads so the Pathfinder would be better for me than the Tabor for the 8 inch wheels.

Question: do you know anything about the Pathfinder trucks? How do they carve and how is the stability? I am torn between the Pathfinder and the Flowstate that has the Matrix 3s

The Pathfinder has DKP trucks but feel very different than the white-label DKP that brands like evolve and mboards use.

People riding them have told me they are way more stable than those off the shelf generic DKPs at high speeds. They also have less slop, I’ve been told.

Funny… that’s the same deck I have (as shown in my picture above).

This post could be a bit misleading. The matrix 2 & 3 have the same exact pivoting mechanism. The only difference would be the bushings and the bushing position adjustability.

I think the same results could be achieved with the matrix 2 trucks with some RT bushings and the Radium bushing adapter.

1 Like

Put a good few hundred miles on one, and a metroboard x has been my daily beater for the past few months (same truck geometry)

I run really soft bushings for my weight, no stability issues. The board turns and carves HARD, but it also has no trouble just going in a straight line. The trucks return to center well, and don’t want to wobble. Trying to induce speed wobble in the high 20s with my bushing setup yields nothing.

5 Likes

Not really. The matrix iii have inner and outer bushing positions, neither of which are equal to the spacing of the matrix ii bushings.

On the inner position and soft bushings, you’re gonna get far better turning ability than just running soft bushings on matrix ii, as well as a lot more tuneability across the board.

To say that the same results are achieveable for matrix ii isn’t really real.

5 Likes

I was merely responding to someone saying that the difference in carve between the M2 and M3 is night and day.

If the OP is looking for more carve out of the Bro deck, the M3 trucks are going to provide a similar experience to the M2 truck w/ Riptide bushings.

1 Like

Happy to confirm 6in Metroboard tires fit the Tabor stock. This was at group ride in NYC.

10 Likes

I’ve got both M2 with Radium adapters and Stock M3s and It really is night and day between the two.

4 Likes

I’m the guy you rode with that has the tabor. You are welcome to ride it any time you’d like. There are some cons to I’ve noticed with the tabor but the pros far outweigh the cons. It sits a tad low for group riding Tampa and I feel this board really comes alive when you push it. That maybe because of the trucks or the whole setup. I haven’t figured that out yet. All I can say is that it performs better when I’m pushing the limits (fast through corners). My last board (Zeus pro) was just ok at most types of riding. The tabor really wakes up when pushed as opposed to casual riding.

5 Likes

This. I was having trouble adapting first ride and then it all just clicked. I thought the tabor was too short but I got used to it very quickly. Once your feet are locked in there really isn’t a need to move them. Sometimes I do when hammering down but that’s it. I’m still pretty new to esk8 and have only ridden about 5 boards and this board is nothing like the others (that I have ridden).

6 Likes