Mboards Flowstate vs Hoyt St Tabor

Hi everyone. I am currently looking to sell my DIY board for around the same price as these two boards. I have my eye on these to replace my DIY. I am selling my DIY because it just doesn’t suit the kind of riding I like to do, and I really do not want to not want to build another board myself. I would like a board, however, that I can upgrade parts on unlike typical prebuilt boards.

The kind of riding I like to do is more casual speeds, typically between 15-25 mph with lots of carving. It needs to be good for tighter corners as I ride in a downtown city setting often (Tampa and St Petersburg FL). Florida is very flat so no hills, and little off roading. Basically it needs to be a good street board with pneumatics preferred.

I want a board with a 12s8p battery size or bigger, motors in the 3500 - 4500 watt range in the 170-190 kv range, vesc compatible, and good for turning / carving. The rest is not as important to me.

As mentioned in the subject, I am looking at Mboards Flowstate and Hoyt St Tabor. Which would you guys recommend? Any other boards I should consider?

1 Like

Tabors turn radius is nuts. Turns on a dime. Raced it at esk8con and rode the fuck out of it during my internship there. Really wish I had one right now, but I can highly recommend it. It’s fun to ride at any speed too.

7 Likes

There’s also the Metroboard pathfinder, which has the same internals (and deck!) as the Hoyt Tabor, but with a different drivetrain:

Might be the better option if you ride slow and like to carve :smiley:

7 Likes

Appreciate it! If I go that route, I might go with this one instead. Someone I know already has the Tabor so I can get this one to be different. Personally I like to stand out from the pack :grin:

5 Likes

You might consider a used lacroix. I love the lacroix jaws/nazare decks for carvey street riding. They have a very nice flex that most other decks do not have.

I think people are selling them on FB because they are worried about no support from lacroix, but if you have DIY skills, that isn’t really an issue.

1 Like

Same deck concave**

Tabor is bamboo and Fiberglass

Pathfinder is Carbon fiber and maple

6 Likes

You could also consider a Flux AT2. The battery is 12s11p molicel m35a (1500Wh), which works out to a little more capacity than a 12s8p p42a pack.

I’m not a huge fan of the flux deck because it is quite stiff, but others like them.

Flux AT2 – FluxMotion

Honestly, just go ride as many boards as you can and see what you enjoy the most. The Hoyt tabor is a fantastic board, but I found the deck too short for my riding preference.

3 Likes

If you want to stand out and for that kind of riding I don’t think you can go wrong with the flowstate

1 Like

So on my way out of Hoyt I nabbed a dadbod. Turns out it’s too long for my riding preference haha I end up standing so far in the front of my Dadbod my rear foot is on the logo in the center of the deck lol

6 Likes

I’ve kind of realized this with my flux lol, I stand all the way at the front going fast and shift to the back of the deck making slow turns.

2 Likes

Is mboards still just running motor detection wizard and leaving all settings stock? That’s how the first 5 endurances I’ve inspected were set up.

3 Likes

I have looked at that one and like it but it’s so close to my current board. I have the matrix 2 trucks and it just isn’t carvy enough for me and riding city blocks results in to many 3 point turns. Appreciate the suggestion and interest :fist_right::fist_left:

2 Likes

Do you have any idea how well the matrix 3 trucks carve? I know it has the smaller set. My matrix 2s on a longer deck carve like a school bus

1 Like

You will never need to do that with a Tabor it’s amazing

4 Likes

Better than the 2. The stock white blocks allow them to super carvy.

I had an at2 with Matrix 2 and I could never get it right for the street with tight turns.
Matrix 3 are great.

1 Like

lol yah it’s super personal. I suspect I’d get used to the size of the Tabor and enjoy it if I spent more time on one. It’s nimble, and Hoyt 5 are some of the best tires in esk8.

Coming from a Nazare deck and a re44, I’m accustomed to a wide stance. Always been like that on snowboards too

6 Likes

It ain’t about the size but how you use it

3 Likes

This can easily be changed with a +5’ riser in the front and some softer RT bushings.

I’m running the Blue 60a RT bushings on my M2 trucks and they are crazy carvy at slow speeds. I can do full circles in the length of an average car parking spot.

3 Likes

On that exact same setup without touching the bushings at all. How fast can you go without getting speed wobbles?

2 Likes

With the orange shock blocks I hit 37 mph and stopped. Probably could have hit 40+. I don’t need to go that fast and am not into speed like that. With yellows riding loose for carving, I feel unsteady around 25.

5 Likes