Mboards Flowstate vs Hoyt St Tabor

Can you link the riser kit?

1 Like

You can either print your own risers or purchase them from a few places

MBS Matrix 2 angled risers by ablairlamb | Download free STL model | Printables.com

Riser MBS Matrix III | MECHANICS | Sabre Dynamics (sabre-dynamics.com)

1 Like

My voltage and gearing have the board pegged out at 34mph. I hit that top speed pretty regularly and don’t get speed wobbles.

Keep in mind I also have a -5’ riser in the rear with the White 70a RT bushings.

Pics of my setup:

4 Likes

It’s not the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean.

No kit, I just printed these files:
Matrix 2 +5 Degree Riser No Cutout.STL (71.5 KB)
Matrix 2 -5 Degree Riser No Cutout.STL (71.5 KB)

Ooooo I love the way that build looks, so clean dude.

4 Likes

It’s such a fun board, currently my favorite.

2 Likes

Super clean build and simplistic :sunglasses: :fire:

3 Likes

It’s the reason for my Bro conversion and full grip job. Sooo nice :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

maybe it was bushings? or angles?

i still have matrix II’s on a prototipo. (shorter, 30/30 angles) i put the softest riptide bushings in it. and I can do almost 3 foot diameter circles. like @tuckjohn on his tynee.

I think anything you can change the angles on you can get to turn super tight. shorter wheel base of course having the advantage.

2 Likes

Just to keep things on the up and up before I shell out opinions, I am currently working as a consultant for Hoyt.

These are both really cool boards, actually! I personally lean more to the Tabor, I find its trucks and general feel to be exceptional, but something to note is that if you have an exceptionally wide stance it may take some adjusting to, the standing platform is a couple inches tighter than most boards and while that keeps the whole thing feeling really tight and nimble, it can be a bit weird at first. If you’re able to get over that hump or it doesn’t exist for you though, the Tabor is super responsive, powerful, and built like a tank, all while being relatively compact and agile.

The big thing going for the Flowstate, however, is that it can rock MUCH larger tires, and for some people that’s a big deal, especially those in areas with mega shitty roads. While the 5" tires on the Tabor are remarkable and I love them, if you’re regularly crossing railroad tracks or live in a place with massively shitty roads, you might be more comfortable on the 6" or 7" tires that the Flowstate can equip. Also, if you’re the type of person who misses the Prototipo glory days, my understanding is that this is a very, very nice spiritual successor.

It’s also worth noting that the trucks these boards use are very different; if you’re coming from a build with channel trucks, it may be easier to adjust to the Flowstate, and if you’re coming from a DKP/TKP/RKP setup instead, it may be easier for you to adjust to the Tabor instead.

Hope that helps!

10 Likes

I think this is the key right here.

@BrennanPhelps Just curious to know… what deck are you running w/ the M2 trucks?

2 Likes

I forget the brand name but it’s the mountain board deck that says bro 96 on it. Pretty sure mboards has a prebuilt on it. It’s composite wood and carbon fiber

3 Likes
1 Like

I have channel trucks on my main and DKP on my backup so both should feel great for me. I naturally have a wide stance so it should be adjusting won’t be an issue.

What do you think of the Metroboards Pathfinder? I know that one is DKP

2 Likes

The difference in carve and turning circle between matrix 2 to matrix 3 is night and day.

It’s like comparing hypertrucks to DKP’s

2 Likes

Word out of DC is that the Tabor will accept 6" tires without modification (ie risers). I have not personally confirmed this.

3 Likes

And if you want 8in tires the Pathfinder has you covered @BrennanPhelps

I rode this Tabor with 6in tires in NYC, worked well!

3 Likes

That’s awesome! I have to deal with train tracks in Tampa and lots of brick roads so the Pathfinder would be better for me than the Tabor for the 8 inch wheels.

Question: do you know anything about the Pathfinder trucks? How do they carve and how is the stability? I am torn between the Pathfinder and the Flowstate that has the Matrix 3s

The Pathfinder has DKP trucks but feel very different than the white-label DKP that brands like evolve and mboards use.

People riding them have told me they are way more stable than those off the shelf generic DKPs at high speeds. They also have less slop, I’ve been told.