MBNEF 43: Mostly But Not Entirely Flat deck

You should consider adding some of that gasket to the deck on the interior side of the threaded inserts. Right now it looks like your enclosure fasteners holes are a path for water ingress

The inserts don’t go all the way through the deck so there’s no way water could enter.

Through the enclosure holes though

1 Like

Sorry, i mistyped - the enclosure screws/holes are the water ingress pt.

I put rubber o-rings between the washers and the enclosure so that’s all good.

3 Likes

:+1:t3:I do the same thing for my heat sinks

3 Likes

Yeah, those are a lifesaver. They also dampen the vibrations so the bolts don’t come loose even if you don’t loctite them (which I don’t).

3 Likes

@eBoosted enclosure arrived! This thing is a monster. :slight_smile: The fit is pretty good. Similar problem as with Ben’s enclosure. It fits the deck shape very well but doesn’t copy the deck profile well at the font and back (which is not surprising). Apparently, the RE 44 has a much more pronounced drop.

I wonder if I could adjust the enclosure shape a little bit by heating it up. I could use a similar trick as with Ben’s enclosure and print some filler parts though in this case I don’t see a good way for the filler parts to add value, so adjusting the enclosure would be better. Any thoughts?

11 Likes

I don’t get it. Why wouldn’t you put those filler parts to the same purpose with the connectors? I thought that was a fantastic idea. Saves drilling (and re-sealing) holes in the enclosure. Keeps the enclosure connector-agnostic (in case you ever want to change in future). Keeps everything looking slick. Win, win, win. The gaps are big enough, aren’t they? Is it a matter of them being too far off to the side or something?

The shape of those gaps puts me in the mind of the Hoyt:

5 Likes

I thought it would be awkward to route the cables through there but looking at the Hoyt board, that’s actually pretty neat. I’ll look into it as time allows. Thanks!

3 Likes

Looking great man! Cant wait to see the final outcome of this. Not a huge fan of the eboosted enclosures myself, they are crazy large in my opinion but they have a ton of usable space.

Sure, everyone has different preferences. Both Ben’s and Alan’s enclosures are very well made and it’s great that, as it seems, both can be made to fit fairly well. Ben’s enclosure is more compact and can still hold 12S5P 21700 as @Linny has shown. If that’s not enough, Alan’s enclosure is DS and should easily accommodate 12S8P 21700 and four ESCs or 14S8P and two ESCs.

5 Likes

From my knowledge of epoxy, that will not work. Epoxy and fiberglass do not soften and re-form with heat like ABS does.

I tend to agree with you here, the gaps left by the eBoosted enclosure are not really in a convenient spot. If I were you, I would stick with the BB enclosure if you plan to sell a kit. The spacer/motor interface that you printed for the BB is really slick, and adds a lot of value.

6 Likes

Lot of progress yesterday and today!

I finished the NESE battery pack, made the balance leads and installed the FlexiBMS.

Earlier I decided I would keep this build as clean as possible and won’t use any tape…

but… I really wanted to do a test ride today so I took some shortcuts. :slight_smile:

I then quickly threw in a PPM receiver and a good old UART Metr (so that I have some idea about the battery state or actually even about whether the board is on :)).

Installed the eLofty drive from my burnt down board. (I wasn’t sure if it would still work. It still works great!)

Aaaand… I took it for a spin.

No griptape, no DAVEGA, not even a charge port :laughing: but it worked! Here’s the log of my 7km test ride:

I didn’t do anything crazy of course. My primary goal was not to get injured (check) and not to put anything on fire (check). :sweat_smile:

Some first impressions:

• I need some griptape. :slight_smile:
  • It’s loooong. Initially, I didn’t even stand drop-to-drop since that felt as a very very wide stance. I did give it a try later though and it wasn’t bad. I actually started liking it near the end of the test ride.
  • It’s very stable. With no grip tape and on shitty TKP trucks and with very loose bushings I still felt confident above 40 km/h. No problem at all.
  • I like it.

I’ll put on some lucid grip and try some other drives as well. Looking forward to do more testing.

23 Likes

More progress. I installed a charge port, DAVEGA X, Metr Pro CAN (while I’m waiting for the Metr LTE) and I wired the CAN from the FlexiBMS.

Here’s how the cable are routed through the front filler part. (I know I said “no tape”. I’ll better myself. :slight_smile: )

I printed a thin riser to hold the charge connector and also to create a channel for the DAVEGA cable. I added a little hinged cover, which came out quite nicely.

Everything is built into the deck. The enclosure is just a lid and doesn’t carry any weight. This is great for tinkering with the internals since I can open it and close it again very quickly and with no hassle.

Some pics of the finished board. I’ll be testing RKP trucks with a belt drive soon (you can see it in the background on one the picture below).

I’m also testing the new DAVEGA angled baseplate. It’s rather meant to be reverse mounted on MTB decks so that it compensates the typical 30-35 degree tip angle to 15-20 degrees.

On a flat deck, it gives a 15 degree tilt towards the rider, which helps readability since it reduces the sky reflections. It looks a bit bulky though. I’m still deciding whether I like the look of it or not.

I have done another test ride today. I added some lucid grip since the last time which helped a lot. There’s nothing I dislike about the deck so far. It’s comfortable and easy to ride. The feel is very different from my 40" EVO that I use on daily basis. That’s mainly due to the much increased length which makes a lot of difference in the stance. I’m still getting used to it. It’s definitely not bad. I don’t miss the concave. I do like the deck.

25 Likes

That’s a very sweet looking deck :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Reminds me of the Evolve carbon gt at first glance. Great work!

1 Like

Testing a different drive. It was a lot of modelling and 3D printing to make it work. Clamps for the mounts; spacers between the mounts and motor cans. I also needed to customize a model for Evolve pulleys that I found on thingiverse to make them fit the axle. But, finally, everything fits and seems to be working well. I just need correct pivot cups for the trucks, which @Lobap promised to send me but he’s been MIA ever since.

26 Likes

Damn, that’s looking fine! Nice work Jan!

Any news on a batch of these?

8 Likes

I emailed the manufacturer last week about making the first batch but haven’t heard back. I’ll chase it up.

7 Likes