Mark I - Iron Man Esk8 - World's First Smart Electric Skateboard With A Talking AI (Jarvis)

Done printing the enclosure and lid. About to print the 2nd floor:

About to print v2 of taillight+turn sig mount. There are two identical taillights. I think I will either have 1 always on (so always visible) and the 2nd turns on when braking - brake one tilted up 30deg so easier for cars to see when I brake. OR I will have both be at half brightness and full when braking. Not sure how I will implement the brake light, I have multiple options.

4 Likes

Printed the 1st taillight. works. printing the 2nd. Do you see the resemblance? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

There are a lot of stray wires that I will plug in soon but this is so much better than the mess I had before! Everything has its own spot and is secured down! This box is really big though :grimacing:

The next step is to plug everything in and fill up the whole box with everything. I will probably have to do a bit of tweaking to fully finish my OS but nothing new needs to be done besides a little bit to implement the brake light (hopefully).

I covered my enclosure in a coat of jbweld steel epoxy to strengthen it :crossed_fingers: After I make sure everything works, I will spray paint and wrap the enclosure in a clear vinyl wrap like my battery enclosure. Then I will replace the DuPont connectors with soldered connections and seal everything with silicone like the opening for the accessory wires at the back and the xt90s. After that, I will take my battery off of the board and print top covers (that I originally had designed) to completely seal off the battery with silicone to make it waterproof to a certain degree. With all the taping/wrapping I did to the p groups themselves, sealing the battery enclosure will really seal the deal :wink: and I shouldn’t have to worry about riding in rain or snow. I sealed my old board and rode in the rain+snow successfully.

6 Likes

My enclosure is spray painted and wrapped. I already tested the fit of most of the components. Need to put everything in and test the software I made. I sealed my battery today.

It was a challenge to apply silicone between the segment gaps.

Should be pretty waterproof now. I 3dprinted covers for the top and sealed them with ge silicone II.

I hope to go for a ride tomorrow :crossed_fingers: more pictures coming :grin:

Also charged the battery for the 2nd time. Group 3 tends to charge to higher V and deplete to lower V but it’s usually within 0.03V of the others. The other 15 s groups are usually within 0.005V.

10 Likes

I just spent another 5 hrs today working on the board. I thought I’d be riding in 3hrs :sob: the main thing I did was put inserts in my enclosure and put the front truck and it’s accessories back on the board. Lots of other little things. Still more work to do but I’m hoping to ride it tomorrow. Again. At least everything I did today was successful. The biggest thing is testing my software and all the accessories together :crossed_fingers: I plugged in a couple things a few days ago and that went well but I haven’t yet tested everything.

4 Likes

Unexpected detours. I had to extend all my balance wires, one of my motor hall sensor wires, and some other wires. They were just short of reaching the spot I needed them to be inside the enclosure. Total approx 30 wires. It’s taken several hours. The longest per wire was the hall sensor wires because they are so thin I had to do it very carefully. First floor is launch ready and tested. It’s rideable rn with 0 of my accessories, just davega and horn. Putting in the 2nd floor now…

10 Likes

Hall sensor fragility is the bane of my existence

6 Likes

I want to nominate this build for the Most Ambitious BOTY. This thread never ceases to amaze me :sweat_smile: really cool stuff dude

15 Likes

That means a lot @glyphiks! I remember you weren’t sure if was it going to be rideable because of the 3d printed battery enclosure :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This right here is the bread and butter of a diy board. Glad to hear the battery is working as it should dude. In the spring when they shut down Lakeshore for active TO head down w ur board. Lots of pev enthusiasts and such a sick way to see the city. You’ll rightly get to show off this absolutely ridonk build :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Gets my vote too

1 Like

:open_mouth: I didn’t think of this :smiley: maybe we can go together on a Saturday or something :hugs: though I ride pretty slow (30kph) but we’d probably have to ride slow anyways to avoid the ops?

Beyond 30kph I feel uneasy unless the road is perfectly flat and smooth, but you know how the roads are :joy::sob: it also may be because I don’t have much practice. I’ve only ridden for 40km this year!

Though I also don’t like going faster than that maybe because beyond that I can’t bail by running off. I think I’ve bailed at 30 once and a few times at 25 on my old board I used to have (my first esk8), none on this. I’ve never fallen :pray::crossed_fingers: maybe I’m a conservative rider :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I put in a special function specifically to show off Jarvis. I don’t think I’ve mentioned it before. Will debut it soon :grin: like an Easter egg

1 Like

Hahah. Funny thing is that this way you will charge your board once in a year or two :joy:

Amazing build. So much stuff going on

1 Like

I had to charge my old tiny board too often.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement! It gets me out of bed literally to go back to finishing the board! Ttys :blush:

6 Likes

More time on the board will change this but I don’t ride super fast either. I like a good cruising soeed of about 25-30 kph generally. Speed is fun but also scary and can be major danger. The Lakeshore is pretty good re road conditions tho.

Absolutely. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Oh I still have my doubts :sweat_smile: doesn’t change the fact that its a sweet ass build

1 Like

15 Likes

Finally :tada: went for two 5km trips.

I keep forgetting to turn off my turn signals after I’m done the turn :man_facepalming::joy:

9 Likes

Blasting Uzi, respect. Build looks bad ass, if you think about it. Every little thing you’ve done makes people know that it’s unique and you can’t find it anywhere because you’ve made it. Very good job and enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you! Speaking of things that are unique… the 3,6,8 mile sound tracks work. Also I will film the 1 Easter egg I have so far…

5 Likes