Marathon Falcon | Landyachtz Evo 40 | 12s5p 21700 | Esk8Supply Direct Drive | MakerX dual | cloud wheels

Thissss. Take the $$ you got from the TB40 refund and get eboosted’s evo 40 DS. Add a small spacer for your batteries and you will not regret it.

Gotta keep the lines on that Evo.

5 Likes

the battery and makerX esc has arrived! =D
I’ll be making progress this week :slight_smile:

Which cells you got in that 12s5p? I got the 30q from samsung but only have 645Wh.
Nice build nevertheless, looking forward for the end result.

21700 4000mah liitokala cells from accrobrandon :slight_smile:

Haaa, makes sense then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally had time to work on it more after the holidays, relatives coming over, vacation, etc are over.

Started programming the VESC yesterday and I have a few questions. @mishrasubhransu @BillGordon If you guys can help that’d be much appreciated!
(Screenshots of my settings are below)

My current setup:
elofty 58kv direct drives
120mm cloud wheels
makerx dual esc
I want to run it in BLDC mode
They are connected via internal canbus (I think?). It is NOT split ppm

1. Is “current Hyst reverse with brake” correct? [Screenshot 1]
  2. Where do I limit the reverse erpm? Right now my “reverse” mode is still at full speed. I tried changing “max erpm for direction switch” [screenshot 1] but it is still reversing in full speed.
  3. What should my erpm be if I wanted max ~5km/h? [screenshot 7]
  1. Does this apply in BLDC mode as well? I tried to change the “minimum erpm” from 150 to 4,000 and 10,000 but the motors made screetching sounds and didn’t work. [screenshot 5]. Am I changing the wrong thing?

2. Does this VESC act like it’s programming two esc’s over canbus? (It seems so from the above tests and it says its over canbus) Do I put 60a or 120a for motor max? [screenshot 3]. I want 60a/-60a max per motor.

3. right now I am using a temporary RC car remote until I have my VX1 setup later. When I turn the remote off, the motor goes full speed! :o Is there a way to make it “disconnect” at 0% throttle? Or is it a remote/receiver issue and it’ll be fixed when I install the VX1 remote?

Thank you so much for your help. This is alot more technical than programming a single belt 4.12 I did a while ago, and its all getting a bit over my head.

Thanks!

Screenshots:

1 Like

I highly recommend getting some Riptide bushings. I can’t even begin to stress how much of a difference you’ll feel when carving

3 Likes

That’s on the list of things to get! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How much do you weigh? I might have some spares

2 Likes

155lbs

1 Like

Yeah, the wrong thing :smile:

For BLDC:

For FOC:

Use this to limit the reverse speed, you can calculate it, but it’s easier to just test, start with something low like 1000, if it just stutter it’s too low, increase until the response is smooth

As far as I know only if they are connected over CAN and only when doing the wizard, the individual settings, like the sensorless ERPM you have to change on each VESC, you can just enable CAN forward when programming instead of plugging in the other USB, also the current settings are for each side of the VESC

4 Likes

Thank you so much!!

Where can I do this?

1 Like

First connect to one the VESCs as usual, the hit scan, select the other VESC and hit the CAN button, and just go programming as usual, don’t forget to always read the settings before changing anything so you don’t mix between VESCs, even more the app part were one side will have your remote and the other will have nothing configured

2 Likes

Thank you!
I’ll try that when I get home tonight :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might have some extras for your weight. At 6 payments of $0.00 you can have them lol, I’ll pm

4 Likes

More updates:
I did everything @Pedrodemio suggested and it seems to work great! Thanks! Theres still a lot of snow outside so I wont be able to do ride tests for a while :frowning:

I got my VX1 set up and working :slight_smile:
with the “current reverse with break” mode I am experiencing this:
(Steps are in chronological order)

• full throttle to full reverse: motors brake. (DOESN’T start reversing)
  • set thumbwheel to neutral: motors neutral/coast
  • set thumbwheel to full reverse: motors reverse slowly (-1000 erpm for now)
  • set thumbwheel to full throttle: motors coast from -4km/h to 0km/h, and then suddenly goes full speed

@mishrasubhransu is this what we want for DD with hard brakes?

I’m currently thinking about making my own enclosure from folded 1/8"ABS sheet

2 Likes

Pedro did a great job at explaining the steps. I use current mode not “curent with brake” This also allows you to be stop on a downward hill.

1 Like

if you kept holding “break” on a flat even after you’re stopped, would you end up going backwards? (slowly)
@mishrasubhransu

Only in ‘current smart reverse mode’ but it feels weird, should be the bottom option on the list

1 Like

ok, ill try all those out in person when all the snow melts