MakerX GO-FOC Retro dual drive ESC

MakerX dv4 has no issues foc mode?or bldc? What is your current is current setting?

1 Like

I am running my DV4 (different than the model in this thread) on ~34 amps motor, 25 amps battery, each side. It’s on hub motors, 4wd build on my profile if you want more info.

Edit: forgot to answer all your questions. It’s in BLDC mode but when I configured it, it auto configured in FOC. I just prefer BLDC sound on the motors so I changed it once it was configured.

2 Likes

I guess go foc v6 has issues running foc mode but MakerX found the problem. Waiting for him to reply back if the new batch been fixed.

1 Like

Gotcha. The only issue I had was that the firmware didn’t want to update. Yutw suggested updating the bootloader but I didn’t feel like accidentally messing it up and it was already working fine so I never updated it from the firmware that it shipped with

1 Like

Hopefully, he drop by give us update. Planning buy two go foc v6 but there was a setback.

1 Like

Can’t wait.

1 Like

SALE

1 Like

Greetings @YUTW123 I am in need of your assistance. I think the only solution to this problem is having you send me a new ESC, but I’ll explain the issue in full detail here.

I’m in possession of a MakerX Go-FOC Retro that I put into someone’s board. I am also running this exact same ESC in my own board, except in much more extreme conditions.

The board in question has a 12s6p LifePo4 battery that I built along with two Maytech 6374 190kv open can motors. These motors were running fine on the previous battery and on the Torqueboard 4.12 single ESCS. In interest of saving space and upgrading, the client decided to upgrade to the dual esc with the heatsink.

The ESC was set up as follows:

Motor Max: 80A
Motor Min: -80A
Battery Max: 50A
Battery Min: -12A

This setup was replicated on both sides of the ESC. This should not exceed any current limits according to your rated spec on your website. Addtionally, no voltages on the board are nearing dangerous levels, as 12S LifePo4 voltages are about equal to 10S LiPo voltages.

We purchased the ESC quite some time ago, but it has been sitting unused for about 5 months while we built the battery and performed some other upgrades. This board went on about three rides, totaling maybe 25 miles. At the end of the second ride, the dreaded DRV error reared it’s ugly head. There is no reason that a DRV error should have happened, there were no high speed events, there were no extreme current events, literally nothing out of ordinary. The ride was a testing ride (the third one on the board ever), so we averaged a pretty low speed and this DRV error was a terrible surprise to end the board’s first testing ride.

Here’s the order receipt from back in July when the esc was purchased.

I’ve done everything I can to try and revive the esc, flashing firmware and bootloader, but to no avail. Below is a series of media that shows the ESC in full detail. I could not see anything visibly wrong with the ESC on the board or in the wiring. There is no possible way that the phase wires shorted as all of them were wrapped well with electrical tape and isolated from each other. The motors are both perfectly fine, we actually took them apart to check for shorts and there was nothing to see, everything was normal.

The photos uploaded kind of out of order but there should be plenty of information available here.

Video showing confirmed DRV error via “Faults” command in the Vesc PC tool.

What I would love to see as a resolution is if @YUTW123 would be able to replace this ESC for us. I would love to keep using MakerX as my main ESC but this is kind of unacceptable for one of these to die within the first 30 miles of use. If you could send a new one, we would love to send this one back in the packaging if you provide return shipping. If that would help you diagnose this so it won’t happen again, that would be great.

One final note - the CAN wires did indeed have the fabric tape on them, I just removed the piece of tape to take a picture.

We do actually have a metr log from the ride, but it’s being finnicky and not uploading properly. I’ll put it here later if I can get it to upload.

1 Like

In response to this one, my SR-71 build is still running this esc just fine. However, I do end up with serious thermal throttling issues. I can’t really push more than 40A continuous even with the heatsink. Kinda sad, I really can’t make it up more than two hills at a decent speed before I cap out at 80C. This is on pnuematic wheels.

It’s been running 12S FOC on 190kv motors. This setup maxes the speed out at about 40mph. Addtionally, I have each side set to allow 80 motor amps and 50 battery amps. However, like I said, it throttles before I can really get to those numbers.

2 Likes

Oh, VESC4-based hardware lacks protection like VESC6.
It is easy to go wrong. It may be too much current, too high temperature, the motor has no normal configuration, or it is an inappropriate motor type.
Solution: If you have the ability to replace the damaged components yourself, I can send you new components.If not, Please send it back to me,I will send you a new one.

I think you need a higher current DV6.:flushed:

6 Likes

Haha maybe the higher current one may be better for this application. Thanks for the quick response!

I don’t have a solder reflow station and I am not well versed in scoping out a board like this so I would rather send you back the broken one and have it replaced :grinning:

3 Likes

Great to see this excellent customer service. Makes me feel even better about my two Maker-X purchases. :+1:

6 Likes

Good news :slight_smile: David is helping us out big time and sending over a DV6 to replace the failed Go-FOC Retro.

Thanks so much @YUTW123

8 Likes

Love to see a vendor earning more of our money.

4 Likes

when i retire all my v4 esc next year, makerx will be my first choice :rofl:

1 Like

would this work with a offroad setup? my lingyi blew and i want to upgrade. my friend has one he never used and hes asking 180, only issue is i dont know how to wire this

1 Like

It wouldn’t be my first choice for an MTB ESC, but should be fine as long as you set reasonable limits. It will be wired like your LingYi, but requires setup through Vesc Tool–which has a bit of a learning curve.

Folks here will advise.

Makerx sells a better ESC for less. Pick up a DV4s. This ESC is old news now

2 Likes

do you know its top speed? The current lingyi is rated at 70a and does “39mph” somehow

Top speed has very little to do with the power of the ESC. Obviously you need enough to hit the speed, but it’s mostly dependent on your wheel size and your gear