MakerX DV6 Users Thread

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification. I’ve only got FW5.2 which I’ve just updated to. Looks like I’ll be re-configuring to regular sensorless for now. Definitely interested in trying at some point in the near future though.

2 Likes

Anyone running the ol flipsky ‘enhanced’ 200a antispark with a dv6?

Necessary? Can’t decide if it’s needed / with/without loopkey

yup, DV6 + FS smart enhanced 200A @ 10S
no loopkey

No issues at all so far, roll to start works as expected.

1 Like

You don’t need it if you have a loopkey. But if you don’t have a loopkey then you absolutely need it.

1 Like

has anyone managed to get 5.3 running on the DV6 or DV6Pro?

I have a SV6 on a flipsky 6384 which I just put together and ran for my second test ride. I was 3 miles in and lost power completely to my motor (brakes and accel) while coming down a bridge going over highway (minor grade). My motor I had felt a few minutes prior and was warm, not near hot. After motor cut I removed loop key and powered off remote. Checked BMS app and said battery (10s4p) was at 100% but after putting loop key back in, remote (VX1 pro) battery indicator light read battery as dead and trigger was unresponsive.

BMS App:

When I got home and opened up enclosure, the board for remote that connects to VESC had blue LED light turned on, BMS light was on, but VESC light is not turning on (see image).
lights

I then proceeded to plug VESC into computer but VESC tool could not connect.

From here, I opened VESC to observe any potential fried stuff. Looked all clean to me (pictured is VESC board while loop key is plugged in but no other connections are attached)

So it appears battery is fine and fully charged but VESC is not receiving power in some way.

Please let me know if you have any ideas how to troubleshoot and if you need any more information.

1 Like

That’s odd. Send makerx an email

2 Likes

Yeah real odd, the SV6 has LEDs on right? Like any other vesc does? I wonder if something fried the logic stage, nothing seems to look amiss other then the LEDs not lighting up

2 Likes

Emailed MakerX a version of this post.

If the LEDs aren’t lighting up and you can measure at least 36V from your battery I think you fried the VESC.

Sounds like too high of brake current coming down a hill at full battery.

Wouldn’t there be visual evidence of it frying when opening it up and looking on the board?

Not always, and not in this case in my experience.

And idk if that’s what actually happened, just from your description that’s what it sounds like.

I’ve fried a couple VESCs before this way.

Either way you should email MakerX about it.

1 Like

I’m just curious why this wouldn’t be prevented by restrictions in the vesc tool settings such as motor current max brake?

And the VESC probably only had 3.5 miles of what felt like easy riding as I didn’t even come close to fully accelerating or topping out on speed since my trucks were so loose

When you brake your motors create BEMF (Back ElectroMotive Force) and that power needs to go somewhere, usually into your battery.

Brake max current only does what it says, it limits the current applied to cause a brake.

Max Regen dictates how much current can go to the battery.

Any other power gets absorbed by VESC components, this is what can damage a VESC when braking, especially at full battery where the VESC doesn’t dump BEMF power into the battery and just dissipates it all as heat.

Ok that makes sense. But also was a extremely minor slope I was coming down and was probably going ~12mph.

Hmmm, I’d still email MakerX about this.

Yeah hopefully they help me out here and don’t kick me to the curb. Either way looks like I’m gonna be waiting awhile before getting back on the board unfortunately

Even at 100% charge there is nothing stopping a vesc from dumping energy into a battery, I do t think this is a settings thing

2 Likes

Isn’t the only setting to allow a higher brake regen current?

Thanks for the correction I was unsure of how correct I was.

My understanding of this is that the vesc will just keep pumping the energy back to the battery but its possible that the components in the vesc may see voltage spikes above what the components are rated for.

1 Like