MakerX DV6 Users Thread

200 (5)

1 Like

The DV6 can pull 80A battery / side comfortably, the absolute current is a changeable software limit anywhere from 1-130A but is in no way indicative of the performance of said VESC.

3 Likes

okay i didnt know

sidenote has anyone tried or even trust the focbox tenka since ya know thats a thing now

:fire: :fire: :fire:

Rumor has it that the Tenka is an RMA-ed Unity potted to hide obvious rework/repair.

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

5 Likes

That may be right, the shape and size of the PCB is the same as the regular unity.

1 Like

That’s a phase wire though. That’s quite a bit different from a sensor cable.

Where did you get this info?

1 Like

true but both phase wires and sensors wires are live when the board is in use so thats why i made the comparison to my experience

1 Like

is this self tested? with or without exposed heatsink? a physical hardware limit? Or a guess because its based on a VESC 6?

1 Like

Just by running FOC openloops and determining what triggers ABS overcurrent (regardless of set value) / heat saturation within reasonable time frames.

@mynamesmatt, without an exposed heatsink, just self tested. Hardware limit should be around 150A for both the mosfets and current shunts but you’d be spending more time fighting errors and faults than actually riding.

3 Likes

A man of science :heart_eyes:

64D43A5E-2477-4D71-8B8C-03E9F2F6E508

Thanks dude!

2 Likes

so with a heatsink you probably could run 80a battery and 80a motor per side hey

1 Like

Anyone run HFI start with no sensors on their DV6? I’m experimenting now with it. Yes I know a temp sensor is required for optimal performance but haven’t got around to it yet.

As expected (due to what I’d read), with the temp sensor missing it can’t take off from stand still and needs a little kick. It bleeps a bit on take off and when coming to a stop but performance seems ok. I can’t work out if it’s beneficial over plain sensorless?? I’m still to do a full test as had heaps of rain lately but curious to hear others experiences.

So as stated above, anyone run HFI-start with no temp sensor on their DV6 and want to share their experiences?

1 Like

Hmm I haven’t ran HFI on it as of yet
HFI takes some tuning, are you sure all your settings are tuned up alright? I don’t know much about it really but I feel like the esc shouldn’t make that much of a difference

ESC is the one doing precise measurements, so I would think it matters a lot.

I guess I figured since most of the hardware is similar - but that also makes sense.

My friend’s sensors on his board just died so my first go with hfi will probably be on 4.12 TB escs haha

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I thought HFI-start was different. It’s for sensorless starts without pushing (if the temp sensor is connected). I thought I read no extra settings needed playing with. I’ll try find where Ì read it.

Also read that not all ESCs are capable hence why I posted in this specific DV6 thread.

It’s possible I’m dead wrong on all of this haha

3 Likes

HFI start is part of ASS (or is ASS, not sure). Doesn’t need playing with the values like regular HFI. Only available on FW5.3. Works best if there are filter capacitors on the motor phases iirc (might be wrong here), which I am not sure the DV6 has. Even if it doesn’t have those though, HFI start should be an improvement over sensorless, just maybe not by much. Without temp sensors though, it will be largely ineffective, especially after a few minutes into the ride when the motor heats up. You could somewhat get around this by adding a 10k NTC thermistor into the motor, or very close to the motor (not ideal but hey, better than nothing!).

I haven’t tried HFI start yet but if noone does it I might give it a try when I get around to rebuilding my board with a second motor. I am also quite interested to know how well it works.

3 Likes