MakerX DV6 Users Thread

i was reconsidering that one a few days ago but bought a different one

Sure sounds like a classic “connection issue” somewhere man. I mean it could be a bad solder joint somewhere on the esc, but it could also be anywhere else in your wiring, causing a momentary short that kicks in some protection, or as simple as a loose connection with your power system (anything between the battery cells themselves, until the ESC).

I’d be much more inclined to think the ESC is the culprit if it was completely random, but that it’s impact/shock related, screams connection interruption of some type to me… YMMV of course.

Edit: saw your reply that you switched to Zenith and it stopped, did you try switching back again JIC? LHB is probably correct that board needs reflow, but you may have just accidentally fixed a connection issue when switching. If it does need some component reflow, if you can look at the board under a scope and find whatever loose solder joint there is, it’s an easy DIY with a hot air soldering station or other more mundane options, if sending it back isn’t an option.

1 Like

No I didn’t. I was pretty sick of it by the end, as a few times it resulted in a crash. I know the rest is a good system. It’s what I have been using to test components. Before this it was the storm core. Before that escapes. All the other connections are sound. I have no wish to fuck about getting it reflowed, if Mr DV6 wants it back to fiddle with that would be the ideal situation. But until he’s contactable it can hang out on my shelf packaged ready to go.

6 Likes

I have clocked up about 70km of really hard and challenging terrain on my DV6. I did have issues awhile back with the Esc, however this turned out to be a bootloader issue that required flashing through vesctool.

Overall I have no issues apart from that. I mean I have gunned my MTB on trails that have serious gradients and inclines. DV6 performs good overall

It does not have the same output of my filpsky 6 dual but maybe that’s comparing apples and oranges.

For me this Esc is solid so far.

2 Likes

Passing my dv6 along to another owner, but for the 50 miles I put on it, everything was better and smoother than my dv4

1 Like

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with the DV6 and have three of them.

I use them all in street setups. 90 motor amps and 60 battery amps per side and not even close to overheating.

The Mini FOC plus on the other hand crapped itself on first ride but I sent it back (to the crazy long address Maker X game me) and got it repaired and returned (I’m still to use it again though).

4 Likes

Wow haha maybe it would be helpful for you to share that address here in the properly formatted shipping address

@BigBen probably won’t send it back but good for the rest of us to know that you successfully sent and received it back

And yeah that’s expected, my friend has one with urethane and he has never gone over like 55 degrees haha it’s the pnummies that stress it out more

I’ll DM you. Not really comfortable sharing it for all to see.

1 Like

Sure, I’ll send it to someone if they ask then.

2 Likes

The address I was sent was completely different to the one that @JeffyJ was sent. :thinking:

2 Likes

I read somewhere that makerX moved place early this year or something like that, the difference between the addresses could be because of that. I can’t seem to find that information now though, not sure where I read it :thinking:

1 Like

Oh yeah that could be. Maybe that’s why they’ve been less responsive. We all know how Timo’s move went haha

Yeah, likely. I contacted MakerX in January, before they moved. They have been very responsive back then. A month or so after someone on the reddit esk8 discord didn’t receive an answer from them when he had problems with his DV4. A few weeks on from that I read somewhere that makerX is moving. Since then they have gone mostly silent.

1 Like

Maybe just moving woes. Hopefully they come back though

1 Like

On an other note though, my DV6 has been rock solid in the roughly 100-120km I’ve ridden it yet. Using it with a single drive setup temporarily, motor hooked up to one side only of course. There have been a few things I noticed as far as thermal performance goes - the heatsink cools down the mosfets really fast, when the heatsink is cold. Once the heatsink gets hot, mainly on 10km+ rides, it cools down very slowly - so some extra airflow and / or extra heatsinking could definitely help if you are pushing the limit of the ESC. On the other hand, my 6384 gets hot pretty fast, but at 20A constantly drawn motor current on an incline at 20km/h or so, the motor temperature was dropping pretty fast from 70C to 65C or so… meaning the motor can cool off a lot faster, when not pushed hard. Because the ESC is not exposed to airflow, during that time the ESC’s temperature just kept rising.

My experience is likely going to differ from the masses because I am yet to use it as a dual drive… So far I am impressed, but once I rebuild my board with a second motor, I am likely gonna integrate an extra heatsink exposed to airflow… On shorter rides thermal performance is excellent, but for my exact scenario with frequent longer rides and no airflow at all, living in a hilly area, extra cooling seems like a good idea. Until the heatsink of the ESC is cold, it sucks the heat away from the mosfets really fast! Then I will only ever have to worry about motor temperature. Which should also significantly improve in a dual drive setup compared to my current single drive.

1 Like

I wish I could say the same about mine. :neutral_face:

1 Like

yikes sorry that happened but i can understand why that happened i had a bullet connector hanging from the vesc on time and when i bench blipped the throttle it caused a spark and i had to change the bullet. i defo recommend to always extend ur wires so u will have more then enough slack so that situation wont happen.

1 Like

Its mentioned a few times that these can handle 100 phase amps per side, but what about battery amps?

1 Like

Good question, I was only able to pull about 50 something amps even with both motors hitting 77 amps each so hard to say

Battery amps can be very confusing

i think that is the limit of the maker 6, being it can pull a max of 50a bat current limit per side when going full throttle since the absolute current is a bit low on it if that as any part of its discharge capabilities. Which is roughly wat a flipsky4.2 plus can do as well.