Make VESC ™ tool in different languages!

Hi all, I’ve been using vesc tool for years and I’m pretty familiar with it now.

BUT, because of the language is in English, most of my friends have not a single clue as to how to use it.
So I’m thinking about translating it to Chinese but i have no clue where I should start. I’ve been snooping around in the code and found the values I want to change but I’ve got no clue how to compile it for windows or Android. (Running windows 10btw)

Help appreciated😂

as a person who can read and write both languages, i won’t even know how to translate some words. i don’t think its that simple, especially u need to translate everything including all the descriptions and also explaination very accurately, so the user will understand how to use it.

Also, some words aren’t exactly translatable…i think :joy:


Yeah I know lol.
The Userbase it’ll mostly target is the people that don’t know what they’re doing, so I’m going to put "打死你也不要动” in for the advanced stuff


if i were u, i would find a way to mask it over, so noob user can’t even change those settings. vesc tool is OS, it should be doable to some degree

I think the idea being that the setup is so basic and you are mostly understanding what each box is and knowing the correct number/app config.

Even if it was not in English for some reason Volts, amps, duty cycle and poles all should get across fine once the basics are grasped.

1 Like

that’s the problem

1 Like

sounds like a esk8 drivetrain parameters tutorial in your language is more the issue than VESC tool not having more than EN

1 Like

More like all knowledge needed for diy is an issue. There just ain’t much info here😂

1 Like

In this case you shouldn’t use VESC at all



Time to recommend lingyi to everyone :smirk:

1 Like

I can help with editing and compiling the VESC tool if you can provide the English to Chinese translations.

It would be great to get a bunch of language translations and submit them back to the main github

1 Like

That’s fantastic news! I’ve had trouble understand how to work with QT, managed to translate some UI. I guess I gotta get back on ripping the terms outta QT and translating them.

1 Like

Google translate photo feature lol

It really is pretty neat honestly haha

Fairly accurate from my experience as well

1 Like

Way too time consuming, also all google stuff is blocked by the grate firewall. Surprisingly this forum isn’t


Ha that’s great

1 Like

If you can get me the terms (strings? It’s been a while) I can get to it as soon as I wake up. Or I can spend a few hours figuring it out again🥲

If you’ve got the spare time of course

It got “neat” wrong😂 not surprising at all, it’s hard to get sayings in translation apps

1 Like

If these XML files are translated into Chinese, that should do it.

For example, the Motor Current Max Brake setting

The longName and description tags in the XML motor config file would need to be changed. Specifically the part in bold:

<longName>Motor Current Max Brake</longName>

and for the help text

<description>&lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN&quot; &quot;;&gt; &lt;html&gt;&lt;head&gt;&lt;meta name=&quot;qrichtext&quot; content=&quot;1&quot; /&gt;&lt;style type=&quot;text/css&quot;&gt; p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } &lt;/style&gt;&lt;/head&gt;&lt;body style=&quot; font-family:'Roboto'; ; font-weight:400; font-style:normal;&quot;&gt; &lt;p style=&quot; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px;&quot;&gt;&lt;span style=&quot; font-family:'Sans Serif';&quot;&gt;Maximum (braking) motor current. The is the maximum current that will be fed back to the VESC and when braking, thus negative. The energy from the braking current will be fed back to the battery.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/body&gt;&lt;/html&gt;</description>

The rest is HTML formatting and can probably stay the same.

For the tab names at the top, that’s the subgroup tag in the same XML files


For the menu on the left side, that’s in the mainwindow.cpp file under addPageItem

addPageItem(tr("Welcome & Wizards")