Magnetic gears because why not

“normal gears are 98% efficient” blah blah blah blah I want the silliness.

8 Likes

Nah man

12 Likes

not necessarily for esk8 drivetrains

the low noise aspect seems good if you used them for something like a camera gimbal, although rigidity would be a must there.

Cough

I could push that project again. I’ve kept a gear drive unit at home to measure shit and be able to make a proper mount too. And now that I finally have my new printer at home :man_shrugging:t5:

Worst part is, it’s freaking easy to make at bike or kart size or even scooter, and a hassle at esk8 wheel size.

Well anyone wanna buy me some magnets? :joy:

5 Likes

I just wanted to tag @Vanarian

3 Likes

My man :heart::joy: @Andy87

4 Likes

Haha bro I think i had the exact same youtube recommandation, and I thought about posting it here
funny

1 Like

Your old project slipped my mind oopsie, to be fair it’s a little dead.

1 Like

Yea I put it on hold over whole 2020, wasn’t able to carry too many projects at once and the year was a roller-coaster.

This might be a good year to give it a restart :checkered_flag:

2 Likes

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Biggenst problem would be the torque transmission which would be very low I reckon.

1 Like

The idea is to be used for a endless push assist thing. Push from a stop and cruise with no roll resistance.

3 Likes

Unless you somehow disengage the gears you will still have rolling resistance from the motors though, which will be significant more than analogue free roll. :smiley:

2 Likes

Exactly the thing, the gears here do disengage.

Anyways the idea is only to have the least rolling resistance of all options. This drive could probably also be 3d printed due to not having vibration transfered through the drive.

Do they? I didn’t notice any moving parts besides the gears.

I’d love this idea, but the torque transfer would be so weak, I kinda doubt you could transfer more than maybe 500mN… But I’d be happy to be proven wrong. :smiley:

Disengage meaning you could push without the motor doing anything like if the board was completely dead, and when it is moving you would get basically no rolling resistance (amps used for maintaining speed) usually caused by the drive system resistance.