Magnetic gears because why not

You know what, magnetic bearings and bushings. Cuz why not?

1 Like

Generally we aren’t complaining about those resistances but valid idea.

1 Like

Magnetic bearings are already widely used in specialized industry, although they are lot bigger than your standard skateboard bearing.

I’m still not convinced that this would work, but maybe someone should build this. :smiley:

1 Like

The bearings would probably do wonders for free roll, but I don’t know if we can effectively manufacture magnetic bearings that small, and to really be worth it, you’d need to put them in the motors as well. Which, probably would be problematic, magnetic fields and all.
However, magnetic bushings would be a whole other thing. Instead of springs, or urethane, magnetic force is what you would be leaning into. I don’t know what that would feel like. I want to try it. For science.

Is there a source for these spiked magnets they are using in those clips? I might give this a shot if they are not breaking the bank.

1 Like

I found 2 inch cones, for $200 each lol.

Link?

Cone Magnets - Neodymium Magnets - SuperMagnetMan they probably have smaller ones, I haven’t looked around. I think the important part is that the magnets are pointed. Concentrates the field.

1 Like

China I bet… they don’t look super cheap.

1 Like

The smallest ones are 13mm, still way to big. Also they would need more of a square shape on one side with a pointy on the other side. Cones would lip away from each other while turning.

Good magnets are never super cheap.
But Japan did just find an absolutely massive amount of neodymium last year iirc. So that might help drop prices a bit.
I fucking love magnets. Keep a pack of a thousand around for weird lil stuff.

seems maybe custom.

2 Likes

You can very well calculate the power transmission of these gears if you know the magnetic flux density. Why would they say that? Weird. Also, custom = expensive, so yeah. :smiley:

2 Likes