Lone wolf | landyachtz ten2four | single 6374 | TB 4.12 vesc | mini remote

I built a low budget single belt kit over the holidays for a friend. Turned out nicer than expected :slight_smile:

Specs:

• Landyachtz tentwofour deck
  • Single belt (dicky ho kit)
  • 10s3p 7.5ah battery
  • TB vesc 4.12
  • 97mm flywheel clones
  • Top speed 32km/h

Ended up being cheaper than expected because half the parts were what I have collected over time on sale/good deals.

Build log:
Parts arrived! I was originally going to use a diyeboard enclosure off aliexpress. But that will be changed later on.

Assembled the dickyho kit:

And mounted it on the deck:

Hooked up the electricals to test it with a crappy 10s bench battery:

And took it out for a test ride!

I was originally going to use a bigger battery and a hard enclosure, but decided to go with a rear top mounted smaller battery for portability and ease of the build. I got the idea from @TheDude’s budget build thread and like how simple it was.

• Super cheap zipper pencil case that looks decent.
  • Able to quickly hot swap batteries on the go
  • Don’t need to figure out an antispark/loopkey solution. (Just unzip and unplug the battery)
  • No holes drilled into the deck!

I 3D printed a support base, and mounted it directly with the truck hardware:

I also printed some side supports for the bag.

I put some foam on the bottom to protect the battery from vibrations and the screw heads:

Perfect fit of the battery!

Also 3D printed a lid support to keep it un-wrinkled:

Installed the vesc and receiver. Lots of room:

And the completed build!

Managed to test it for a little bit the 1 day it stopped raining and got a max speed of 36km/h. Not sure if its suppose to go faster, but seems to check out for a single belt drive.

This was my first time building non-prebuild/deckswap and it was really fun!
Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Do you have a link to that cheap battery? Any idea what cells it uses? Does it have a BMS?

1 Like

Don’t know what these cells are “AED 18650 2500mAh”. But @TheDude has gotten 23km (14.5miles) range out of it so I’m not complaining.

Another advantage is that you can very easily hot swap batteries on the go to extend the range.

2 Likes

I like this build a lot! Cheap parts, but beautiful execution and attention to detail! Definitely the cheapest way to get an esk8 if what you’re after really is just having a push board you don’t have to push :smiley:

Keep us updated on which parts break / need maintenance first!

3 Likes

Thanks!
Will do!

I love this piece in the battery description:

• Configuration: 10 sets in series (10S) of 3 cells (4P) in parallel , Built-in BMS protection,With overcharge, over discharge, short circuit protection
2 Likes

Cool little single drive, well done

1 Like

I noticed that the battery is capped at 20A? Is this verified or can it push out more?

This battery is so cheap, I was honestly thinking of getting 2 to save on shipping

Alternatively, group buy? :stuck_out_tongue:

They also make custom batteries, just ask them

1 Like

What about the cost for the trucks and wheels/bearings? Or did I miss something.

Dickyho sells a kit with the trucks, wheels, bearings, pulleys, motor mount and belt. You just need to slot in a motor onto the mount. Thinking of using it but upgrading to better wheels (blue cagumas).

1 Like

I don’t have metr or any way of measuring max amps. But for a single belt build, it seems to have enough oomph. If you put two of these in a build, you’d get 40a discharge which is plenty for budget builds. And two of these only cost $160

1 Like

yeah arj is right. The kit comes with everything you need except a motor.

4 Likes

This is great! Nice work!

1 Like

Hell yeah! Looks awesome! Welcome to the pencil box club haha

2 Likes

Small update:
I changed the wheels to 90mm because I needed the original 97mm wheels for another DD build. And I ended up getting a HIGHER top speed at 36km/h! :slight_smile:
I think its because a single speed with a 15:36 gearing didnt have enough power to get the full speed of 47km/h. So it was inefficient.

Right now the no load top speed is 43km/h, and loaded is 36km/h which check out with the calculator. Changing to 90mm made it more efficient, and also has better acceleration.

I took it out for a range test with the new wheels and got 20km out of the battery which is awesome! And the number checks out with my other build with the same battery.

1 Like

Could you explain why you don’t use an anti sparj switch?
Also, how is the acceleration with that 600W limit?

Since its easy to just unzip the pencil case enclosure and unplug the battery manually, there’s no need to. The charge jack is also inside the case and requires un-zipping to get it out. (Or you can dangle it out the entire time, but not recommended)

The battery is 20a max discharge (20x42v = 840w at max charge)
It’s plenty for a single drive budget build and didn’t find it lacking at all. The fesc 4.12 can also only handle ~20-25a max continuous discharge. So all the specs match up pretty nice.

If you want better performance, you’d need to upgrade to dual drive, better (dual) vesc, better battery which increases the cost by 40%

1 Like