Dickyho Motor Repair 6354 (DO NOT BUY THESE MOTORS)

A flat head screw driver and patience if you don’t have c-clip pliers.

1 Like

same
I’m running a dickyho 6473 on sensorless BLDC with vesc 4.12 single belt. And I’m surprised at how smooth it is on startup!

1 Like

I’ve never really thought about it, but mine are also really smooth on startup comparatively

1 Like

Well I couldn’t get the c-clamp off, and left the hall sensors disconnected. I must say, it does ride pretty smooth.

Side question: does anyone know what size grub screws that dickyho’s motor mounts use? can i buy replacements anywhere?

1 Like

How fast are you able to go, and what battery setup are you running? Thinking of upgrading to something similar to what you described.

Heres my build thread: Lone wolf | landyachtz ten2four | single 6374 | TB 4.12 vesc | mini remote

• 10s7ah battery 20a max discharge
  • 15:36 ratio
  • 36kmh top speed with 90mm wheels

I repaired a very similar motor. Was easy but I do own a pair of circlip pliers.

I found the reason my sensor wires pulled off was because the stator shaft was rotating because the locating pin either fell out or wasn’t there. I epoxied a new keyway in when I reassembled it as well as soldering on new hall sensor wires

I was actually lucky the former epoxy let go because it made repairing it much easier

4 Likes

Thank you! Really appreciate your sharing these photos. Once I get my circlip pliers. I will investigate the locating pin when I open it and potentially epoxy a new keyway as well.

Finally got around to this repair today and I cannot for the life of me remove the stator. Any tips on how you got it out?

Got the stator off the shaft, but cannot get the stator off the back motor casing. Looks like the locator pin is missing on mine too and the designated ridges on the motor housing and inner stator bore are misaligned. Do I just torque-twist this thing off?

1 Like

Pics of where you are at now?

1 Like

I’d probably heat it up with a heat gun to soften the epoxy but I’d make sure I had the thin attachment to try and localize the heat, then twist,
Mine obviously twisted with torque and broke the epoxy seal for me so I guess in a way I was lucky

1 Like

Better? I gotta read into this

Thanks. It’s slowly coming loose. Confirmed that my locating pin was missing altogether. Did you find your missing locating pin or did you insert a new one during re-assembly? Any tips on where I might find a replacement pin?

1 Like

Fixed it… I’ll post photos and details on the solution after reassembly.

2 Likes

Well, not quite out of the woods yet. I opened the other motor and entered a nightmare.

These motors are big heaping piles of absolute shit. I wasn’t expecting these motors to be this bad. Stay FAR away from these motors.

The omission of the locating pin in both of my motors makes them completely defective. I’m outside of my PayPal coverage, so I’m S.O.L. on this. What an utter disappointment.

I have no idea how to fix this these copper windings. Can I just resolder them?

2 Likes

As mentioned above, @dickyho sells defective motors that will fail shortly under load. If you were unfortunate enough to have purchased from him in the past, there is a simple DIY fix–provided your phase wires were not damaged like mine.

The missing pin for the stator/motor shaft keyway can be replaced with an M1.5 grub screw or shaft of some kind.

I discovered this by inserting an M1.5 allen key into the space.

I happened to have some nails that were the same diameter, so I hacksawed off the end like so and inserted it into the void keyway:

This should hold up well and won’t fall out as it is flanked on each end but the motor bearings. A small amount of torque will also lock it into place.

I wish I had know the severity of @dickyho’s motor defects when I first created this thread last month, as I could have saved the motor if I had opened it at that point and performed the repair.

Despite this fix, I do not recommend purchasing these motors. Only purchase them knowing fully that they are defective and need to be opened and repaired. Since they are not sold at a discount for the defect, they’re not worth the price that they cost. It’s misleading and bad business for anyone to sell these motors in this state.

3 Likes

Ouch sorry for your loss I regards to the second motor.

yeah I just made a new keyway from some welding rod I had the Allen key looks even better for the task than what I used.

You could buy some magnet wire and re do them by hand. Tedious but a fun project I reckon

My motors were not from dicky but I assume he purchased them from the same vendor in China as I did

2 Likes

Oh boy… That’s pretty bad. Those are a pain to solder because they’re usually all epoxy coated, so you’d need to sand the ends of every strand before anything sticks to them

2 Likes