Loaded unlimited hub motors experience?

Depends, if phase amps are fixed and limits reached in each case I agree with you but irl you don’t always max out.

What I meant was that if you keep your max levels but raise voltage, you raise power. As such you’re most likely pumping more watts with same throttle amount, and esc will cover your extra power into more phase amps…

Thus in theory yes you don’t gain more torque but in practice your Will feel more torque because you are pulling more amps within your max limits.

At max for both yes you only gain speed and power relative to that speed.

Maybe I worded that confusing :joy:

1 Like

Huh actually you explained it way better than I did :beer:

2 Likes

Torque is static, power is dynamic.

You can have X amount of torque at any RPM, including zero (e.g. torque on a bolt), which takes zero power, or X amount of torque at Y RPM, which will give you (X*Y) power. Given the same torque, more RPM gives more power, and vice versa.

7 Likes

I run mine at 10s at around 40 motor amps. I see you already got confirmation that they’ll work at 12s👍

2 Likes

Can run them at thousands of volts and the motor doesn’t care just as long as doesn’t go so fast tires fly off or bearings go too fast

2 Likes

What about the maximum voltage of the wire insulators?

It’s hundreds of volts.

2 Likes

this is sarcasm correct? There has to be a limit for overheating reasons

No sarcasm, voltage doesn’t heat up a wire, it’s just a potential difference between two points xD

Power dissipated in a conductor is:
P = I2 * R

The limit for voltage in a wire is arcing and insulation degradation, but it’s pretty high.

3 Likes

What I would like to add is that you compared a 12s2p vs a 10s2p that’s not really a representative comparison. The 12s is obviously more powerful because it has more cells. If they would have the same mount of cells you only gain top speed nothing else.
The maximum torque for longer is just a result of the bigger battery not the higher voltage.
The battery size in this graph is just so you can have 10s and 12s with the same mount of cells.

3 Likes

So if current kills a brushless motor due to heat dissipation and we cannot change the gearing on a hub motor. How do you find that limit ?

With my belt drives I take the super unscientific approach: If I can lay my hand on the motor for at least 5 seconds without it becoming uncomfortably hot after sustained riding, say at the top of a hill after 20 minutes of gunning it, I know I have headroom regarding amperage with my motors.

Not sure if most hubs have temp sensors, but that would help figure out how hot they are getting under the thane. Maybe use one of those IR laser temp guns and point it at a metal part of the motor?

3 Likes

gotta love some hot hand science

7 Likes

On top of temperature, I would add that if it smells funny, feels like it’s losing power without the ESC being weak, or starts making suspect noises, you know it’s taking a toll

2 Likes

Depends on the temp rating of the winding insulation and the magnet max temp or currie point at which they lose their magnetism permanently. But rarely are those ingredients revealed. Without knowing what the material limits it’s a guess. The magnet Currie point is a hard limit and the winding temp rating is for 20,000 hours at that temp and will be cut shorter with higher temp or repeated temp shocking.

If you end up with a motor that now goes faster with a higher kv its magnets have passed the Currie point.

If you have extra heat or it won’t even turn you likely shorted it (although knowing eskate u likely didn’t finally get to the end of the insulation lifespan and instead rubbed through it with vibration shorting through the phase leads or some other loose wires)

Both the higher kv and increases resistance will show on bldc tool…if u can even get it to spin…if u can’t then it’s likely shorted across the phases vs in the windings of a phase.

4 Likes

well let’s see if we can get this hub motor to 40 mph lol, if it could I don’t see any reason to use anything else for a urethane build

2 Likes

Id at least test it on a bench to see how the pu does first. Even then when it gets hotter or ages it won’t be as solid.

4 Likes

Ahh cool thats brave. You want to try them on 18s for real?

I’ve got a set of cast ronins gathering dust on a push board. Any idea if these loaded hubs will fit? The ends are approximately 19mm square, but they tapper up.

2 Likes