Loaded unlimited hub motors experience?

Yes the neo hubs were slightly smaller than the unlimited hubs and the orangatang sleeves did not fit properly. @KfromtheBay had some experience with it I believe…

I had a hissy fit and sold my neo hubs after finding out about this discrepancy :expressionless:

5 Likes

Watching (with neoHUBS in the workshop)

Have spare sleeves but they’ll wear out one day and would be good to have a backup plan…

4 Likes

I haven’t had any issues with it. Nothing noticeable anyhow. I’m running it them with VESC 6 and the most recent firmware. Apparently, sensorless motors were smoothed out a bit in the most recent firmware.

casting our own would be fun!

Wonder if we could cast directly onto the hub or something, when worn out cut/peel them off and cast new ones on.

2 Likes

You are correct about the slop when trying otang sleeves. This was heartbreaking for me as well

3 Likes

NeoHubs run hot anyways so unlimited might be the way to go

5 Likes

I have the loaded race kit, wouldn’t use any other urethane. I even hit a screw that went all the way through and I unscrewed it out, and the sleeve still works fine sliding. Also here is a video of me using them LOADED RACE KIT - ELECTRIC LONGBOARD - YouTube

5 Likes

I am thinking about using these on an upcoming build and was wondering if they are safe to use at 12S and how many amps people are pushing. @M.Hboards @tomiboi

2 Likes

I’m running 12s2p p42a on mine and so far so good. I just set mine up with the FOC wizard and went with the results.

3 Likes

So can you get a higher top end speed? Or just torque from increasing voltage?

Increasing voltage definitely gets you a higher top speed and from my non-scientific experience I believe it also yields additional torque but I am going to tag in somebody with way more knowledge about electronics than I to confirm or deny that theory: @MysticalDork

2 Likes

I emailed loaded unlimited and they confirmed the hubs are good to use with 12s

Stock unlimited package setup is 10s = 26mph. So 12s should give you a pretty quick board

2 Likes

Thanks for checking with them! I had always thought that most hubs are safe to run at 12S but it is great to confirm that before overvolting a $400 pair of motors.

1 Like

If you pull same amps at higher voltage, yes additional torque because you’re pulling more watts in total

1 Like

Additional power and speed, but not torque.

3 Likes

How does ‘power’ differ from ‘torque’?

2 Likes

Power = torque x RPM

Power = amps x volts

2 Likes

Voltage is related to speed and current is related to torque. Changing the voltage doesn’t change torque and changing the current doesn’t change top speed.

With that said, with geared drivetrains like belt drive, you can trade the gained top speed from higher voltage for more torque or the gained torque from higher current for more speed and vice versa by adjusting the gear ratio. On hubs your only option to change the torque is changing the current and your only option to change the top speed is changing the voltage.

8 Likes

So would running this hub at 12s increase your top speed lol ?

2 Likes

I made a comparison in a calculator, and I actually have to take back partly what I said above. The higher voltage board can hold out the max torque for longer, as demonstrated on the graph below. This is duty to the dutycycle which is basically speed but in percentage. The controller holds the motor current setting (50A) until a certain duty cycle (in the graph until 60%, can be calculated by battery current divided by motor current), after 60% duty cycle has been reached the current gradually decreases until it hits the battery current setting (30A). The thing is the controller doesn’t care about the speed of the motor, only the speed in percentage (duty cycle). As the top speed gets higher, the speed where the current starts to decrease also gets higher.

Credit to @fessyfoo for making the calculator!

On the Y axis there is the torque, and on the X axis there is the speed in miles per hour. The solid line is your torque. The dotted line is the power, but you don’t have to care about that.

So back to your question

Yes, it would increase the top speed by 20%. The maximum torque would stay the same, but it would be possible to utilize that maximum torque until a bit higher speed (20% higher speed).

5 Likes