Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

The little forcer has a very interesting shutdown circuit, you can use any latching switch that suits you, you don’t need antispark

2 Likes

this is a point for power buttons that doesn’t get mentioned enough.

1 Like

Not available anywhere and seems no plans to make more :disappointed:

For what?

You don’t need antispark even for the first time you connect the battery? MacIack add one just for some problems he had lately, right? I am lost now.

1 Like

I thought u said above u had not plans for awhile or something till making them. I don’t see them in stock at those two distributors

1 Like

That’s not what I said at all. My goal is to restock ASAP.

While we’re on that subject, the next batch of Little FOCers is about 3 to 4 weeks away from being restocked. Had another delay in the production. Working on resolving it now.

9 Likes

So, a lot has happened in the past 6 days. Two fried little focers and a bunch of headscratching. Here’s what you should look out for if you’re using a LF with a large hub.

Lesson 1: Hub motor temp sensors are shit. My windings melted at “77C” RIP hub. It was the TC4080 hub from this build STOBA Bomber 5kW "eBike"

Lesson 2: Vesc motor detection is good for our size of outrunners, but for hubs its not perfect. You will have to tweak some settings like observer gain, and if you’re using hall sensors you will have to tweak your sensorless ERPM. I was getting nasty cogging if I floored it until I messed with my observer gain (cut it in half) and raised my sensorless start erpm. Its unfortunately not as plug and play as we’re used to. I found that halving the calculated observer gain yielded good results.

I had tried 5.2 on the second LF and it did a bit better. NOTE: this is not the firmware available in vesc tool. Shaman compiled it for me to test with.
focer gore:

I’m hoping one of the two focers are repairable so I can continue trying to figure out how to get good large hub performance on vesc. I’m also switching to a QS205 hub which is just a better motor.
Also good cooling is imperative. I’m going to figure out some system to have a big external copper heatsink on this bad boy.

10 Likes

Yep. Little FOCer too strong for motor

3 Likes

Thx for the update!

Sadness but the exact same thing would have happened to me. Haha also I beat you to blowing up this ESC

1 Like

lmao

6lsurf

9 Likes

I think I see where the resistor needs to go, but I’m not sure which resistor needs to be moved. Do you know? Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah give me some time to provide details. Should be later today

1 Like

Gotta move the circled resistor over to the blank footprint. This will bring the external antenna connector into play but also disconnect the PCB antenna. You can only have one or the other. Not both.

3 Likes

@shaman I guess v3.1 will not need external to work perfect

Can you elaborate on that? What exactly are you referring to as external work?

1 Like

surfdado was reporting that sometimes the signal of the bluetooth was not the best on the lfv3 that’s why he opted for an external bluetooth module. And I was asking that as a new revision is about to be released, maybe this was fixed/improved.

1 Like

The outcome of the bluetooth signal integrity depends on the amount of metal surrounding the controller and the proximity to the motor. I’ve mentioned this before and I’ve tested this myself. The motor noise can easily drown out the BT signal if the controller is close like in a OW setup. An external BT module can be better placed. Even a few mm can make a huge difference due to noise intensities operating on square laws.

1 Like