Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

Diodes, fuses? Not pinout, need to see schematic hall input.

@Fosterqc can you share .step of controller?

hall

1 Like

you kind of have to be clear enough to show that you are not someone who just is using the wrong word lol.

3 Likes

I dont understand, I have to prove myself worthy of your 3d file? :grin:

1 Like

i thought I uploaded it here lol

hmm nvm

1 Like

LOL FOCER STOCKER.STEP (3.7 MB)
here u go jesus

Any pictures of the new creature?

3 Likes

Yep. One of the betas for the latest version. Ugly but functional.

12 Likes

So far bench testing has gone well. Was a bitch to tune up correctly though. A lot of trial and error. One nice thing about the DRV was that I could change gate drive strength with just a vesc terminal command and do tuning pretty quickly. This DRVless design requires the manual soldering/desoldering and swapping of 18 components in order to tune correctly.

14 Likes

so have your SMD reworks skills gone from Pro to SuperProMode?

3 Likes

Meh. These 18 components are mostly 0805 so it wasn’t super hard. Just tedious and time consuming. Thankfully there’s nothing as hard to solder as the DRV was.

4 Likes

A few beta units have been shipped out and I’ve done more testing in the lab. I’ve found the relationship between deadtime distortion and the quality of the current sense waveforms which affect motor control smoothness at lower rpm. A lot of this behavior I have somewhat falsely attributed to some weird dependency on switching frequency. Really its that switching frequency affects deadtime distortion. The DRV always had inserted deadtime on it’s own regardless of the firmware value so I had less control over deadtime. The DRV is gone now and the architecture resembles some of my more powerful designs. Now the game is figuring the optimal deadtime value that offers the best smooth control without causing MOSFET shoot through events which at best cause excessive heating and at worst blow up the controller.

12 Likes

i feel like the extra connectors really cleaned up the wiring, especially the 3pin power jst and the 3 pin adc jst… it also freed up my com port to add a metr.at module which isnt in the picture but also fit easily.

The large mosfets act as spacers so i feel like it mounted more securely and without any fear of torqueing the pcb and causing pressure around the imu like i think i did sometimes with the rev1 and that spacer situation.

7 Likes

Looks awesome!! Any ETA here?

3 Likes

Field testing is still ongoing. I’ll let y’all know once we’ve moved past that

2 Likes

So far so good in OW testing and ebike trials. Esk8 stuff will be under way very soon.

I can’t tell you guys how much I want to get this cranked out. I’ve had to be agile in dealing with the chip shortage but I think I’ve found parts that can be supplied more reliably for higher volumes.

11 Likes

Can’t wait man!

2 Likes

I’ve been testing what I refer to as the big little focer. I was so excited to test out the larger mosfets I forgot to electrically insulate them from the heatsink and killed it dead :cry:. @shaman was very patient with me despite my noob mistakes. Anyways, got another unit yesterday and put that bad boy in my kids dirt bike. My goal as a parent is to make the most dangerous toys possible :laughing:. I was able to push it to 200 phase amps, 300 max amps and 100 battery amps. It’s so fast my wife won’t ride it anymore, see vid in google link. Compared to the little focer it’s got way more low rpm torque. If I can figure out how to make an interesting video I’ll post one. Not a fan of going 60kmh with only one hand on the handlebars though. I also put it in my stealth bomber clone. For its size I was very impressed with the performance. Got up to 75kmh with a 16s 60v battery. I was pushing it to the max and think I need a better cooling situation. One shitty 5v fan wasn’t quite cutting it when going up long hills. Still very impressive nonetheless. I was even able to get my 5,000 watt rated motor with ferrofluid and hub sinks up to 60c with -200a of regen. Chirped my tires with that much regen and they are very grippy tires, like the bicycle equivalent of racing slicks. Anyways, hopefully this won’t cause everyone to get a bad case of blue balls but it’s going to be fucking awesome. Thank you for all of your hard work @shaman.

8 Likes

This controller looks amazing!, can i buy it in the future from Europe ?.

2 Likes

That’s the idea. The plan is for @Flux to handle Europe

2 Likes

Still going strong in the field testing! testing the latest 5.03 beta firmware will be next. There seems to be some nice improvements in 5.03 that I want to check out

12 Likes