Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

You can pass two of’em to me and I’ll compare them to the 20S MakerX and 20S Trampa in an escooter and/or MTBoard and if you like with a BAC8000/Nucular 24F 20S Surron.

Currently normally open latching switch. Although ik the future I might implement a toggle based On/Off function that you see in other vesc based controllers

2 Likes

I’ve already got beta testers lined up but I’ll let yall know if an opportunity arises.

2 Likes

No problem, I’m also happy to give you feedback for the production version.

2 Likes

Please do. The intent is to always improve this controller and make it the best it can be

3 Likes

Using a normally-closed momentary switch with one press to turn on and another press to turn off? Is there a minimum press time?

1 Like

My vote is for a permanent type switch rather than a momentary type switch. That way I can still hook it up to a relay then an ebike alarm to remotely turn it on.

If the switch pins are shorted, the control electronics are powered off (power stage is still energized)

If the switch pins are open, the control electronics are powered up.

That’s how it currently is.

Most other controllers use normally open (at least I’m fairly sure they are NO) switches and require a short hold (~1sec) to turn on and long hold (~3 sec) to turn off.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Some Trampa VESCs use NC contacts, the VESC 6 Mk3/4/5 and HD60T. Not sure about other VESC-based controllers

It has been a nightmare trying to sort all this out (what each controller needs)!

1 Like

I would prefer this myself.

I didn’t use a firmware-based on/off function that technically is more of a standby. The way I do it results in a true OFF state where the parasitic drain is very small. About 100 micro amps. Should have minimal effect on your battery

6 Likes

Is that amp draw when the controller is off or standby? How much when it’s on but not in use?

1 Like

It’s when the controller is turned off with a switch implemented in the way I’ve described.

Current drawn when just turned ON depends on the battery voltage. It doesn’t draw as much at 84V as with 36V. It’s more accurate to answer this with watts rather than current. If I remember right, it’s something like 0.7W but I have to check later

6 Likes

Got it. Thank you.

1 Like

Does anyone have pictures of their focer mounted? Anyone mounted it PCB facing down?

5 Likes

how much did you pay for yours?

2 Likes

He’s a distributor. He created the website everyone bought these from

3 Likes

Can you share schematic of hall sensor

2 Likes

which, the lil focer?

if you search “little FOCer pinout” it is here

1 Like