Let there be ESK8 lights

Didn’t get a notification that you mentioned me :confused: how do you control yours?

nope, My smart BMS allows charge and discharge through the same port. because if this its also bms protected. This means if i leave it on it wont kill the battery and if there is a short the bms will just disable the output. I can also turn it on or off in the app if i need to. figure i will never need to use the light whilst charging so its perfect.

@Flasher i just wired the led light directly into a barrel jack that i plug into the charge port. the amazon said worked on 12v or 24v but when it arrived i looked up the part number on the box and found that its actually rated up to 60V input voltage.

4 Likes

@ducktaperules No sparks when you plug it in? I decided to follow my original dream plan of controlling it with the ch2 button on my aps remote and got the picoswitch @deckoz linked me :slight_smile: you are the second person to say it works great with the charge terminals on the bms so I’ll give it a try that way

I was just gonna have a switch on the side of my enclosure, one side gets the charge and loop key while the other gets a pair of press buttons for the head/tail light and underglow. Since it’s only an amp or so on the high voltage end its fine to have a small switch, also they don’t spark

1 Like

15 Likes

Love the headlights. Tail light seems tiny.
Do you have a link to the lights and a file for the mounts?

Will be first to admit the little LEDs I mounted into a riser isn’t enough to illuminate the road more than a foot or so in front of my board but I have them slowly roll through different colors so it’s obvious to a car something weird is going on in the dark street, generally my eyes adjust enough in the dark to see well enough to not run into the curb and I just don’t go at blazing speed where I’d eat shit if I hit a stick.

1 Like

Ii do this alot, but i think its because ive skated for years without ever having lights. But going 20+ without them is a trip. It gets really dark here. Minimal light pollution + lots of trees and or overcast weather. Lights really are a must.

2 Likes

Yall need to start wearing an eye patch. When it’s night time, switch the patch to the other eye and boom, night vision enabled. Works great for getting up in the middle of the night to pee too.

11 Likes

Lol, i might as well wear a patch over my right eye. My left eye does most the work.

I’ve got a pair of those lights I’m not using if you want, they are usually around $15 each from eBay

1 Like

The tail lights are small but really bright, supernova brand, a little on the expensive side but quality.

The headlights are the ebay specials, great bang for the buck.

I’ll dig out the CAD, stl file for the MBS mounts. Printed in flexible TPU filament at 100% infill, so you can stretch and squeeze them over the bar for a snug fit.

2 Likes

I think it’s these ones

3 Likes

Yes, same brand I used but the smaller option with the two leds/headlight.

If you order them, quick tip, first take them apart and stuff some hot glue into the cavity to help support the coil and absorb the shocks.

1 Like

Yeah I had both die in the first 50 feet so I had to resolder them and “battle harden them”…definitely secure now though

1 Like

now all i have to do is mount everything…

3 Likes

@drone001 Can I see that ring without the lights on? Intrigued on how you bent the pcb so easily :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Ah ya cheated :rofl:

1 Like

indeed…I did. :sunglasses: