Let there be ESK8 lights

Again, a remote must produce that ppm signal in the first place. I really don’t know how his remote works but i doubt he can make the lights/horn thing with just ppm signal.
Your best bet might be to learn to listen to the canbus connection as that contains everything needed to drive any number of vescs with just 2 wires

2 Likes

Alternatively, get more UARTs:

4 Likes

Shipping is as much as it costs! That’ll end up costing me $100cad. Is coding with ppm possible? Also it doesn’t say it supports ubox and fw 5.1, he doesn’t have that to be able to fix a bug if one arises.

That is an unfortunate reality for international shipments I am not able to get around at the moment and one the stands in the way of many people from ordering.

Just to add some clarity here, FW 5.1 is supported by the uSplit. The uSplit supports the general VESC UART communication scheme which does not vary between VESC based ESCs. It could vary between FW versions but that is unlikely at this point in the project’s life. You are correct that I do not have a ubox ESC to test with if something specific to that goes wrong, but it is also unlikely that there would be an issue specific to that particular ESC.

5 Likes

Thoughts on this? Nlpearl 4'' Light Bar/Work Light 72W 126W Led Work Lights for Off road Tractors SUV Trucks Spot LED Light Bar Fog Lamp 12V 24V|Light Bar/Work Light| - AliExpress
I want to run 2 of these 72w (36v 2a?) ones in series (72v 2a?) for my 16s battery (67.2v).

Depending on where you read those lights have a 30V, 32V, or 36V limit…be careful.
Depending on the circuitry inside you might not be able to run them in series successfully.

Bottom line…not worth the risk IMHO.

4 Likes

Yeah I was confused. Would it be worth it if I message the seller to double check? They usually respond

If you are going to buy those then I would think it would be a very good thing to find out if they will burn out if you use them. :grin:

3 Likes

They said it can’t be used at 36v. Their 126w 4 inch leds are only 20-18w. How disappointing. I think I will go with auxbeam straight from their website. I will also get 2 additional mounts so hopefully with 3 it will be okay on a skateboard. The 3 will be connected to a 3d printed mount I will make to attach to the truck.
I’m not worried about 9 inch wide because that’s the same as the warren deck and I’ll use mbs ii trucks.

These look almost too bright! Probably be less if I hook up to 12v instead of 24v (guessing the video was 24v).

1 Like

alright who can ID a smallish footprint HV buck for me? all those small ones on AZ can’t handle 75V from what I can tell

thanks in advance to anyone that helps

There are some here that go up to that voltage

2 Likes

those are all relatively big no? like def gunna need to externally mount them I think

This one is 58 x 40 x 22mm

https://fulree.en.alibaba.com/product/62152877158-805343022/Shenzhen_Manufacturer_30_90V_to_12V_3A_5A_DC_DC_Step_Down_Power_Converter_36V_48V_60V_72V_to_12V_for_Golf_Cart_Car_Radio.html?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.28.386554bfM9WQ1r

2 Likes

thanks man!

1 Like

Yep, I was going to point to this Fulree:

90V in, 12v 3A/5A out, potted IP67. May need the heatsink version if you pull a lot of current

1 Like

high voltage buck converter, see posts above :arrow_up:

(for ease of searching this giant thread)

4 Likes

You the heatsink version would be necessary if I’m running 2 of these from it? (I think I’d need to find a 8.4V version rather than a 12v)

Bike Light, Bicycle Light USB… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXKQ9RG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Those run on 2x 18650s, at 2.1A, according to the reviews. So you’ll need a buck converter that can output ~8.4v - 6.4v at 4.2A.

Depending on your battery size, you could try something like this: DC-DC Buck Converter 10-72V to 7.5V 5A

No guarantees. Try it on the bench first.

FYI, Pololu has some options that are better quality than the aliexpress stuff. More expensive, of course, but also smaller and more functionality

D36V50F5 - up to 50V input, 5V 5.5A output - 25x25×9.5

D36V50F12 - up to 50V input, 12V 4.5A output - 25x25×9.5

2 Likes

If you need more power, I like these. YPG 20A HV SBEC for RC Model Airplane No Programming Required Model Remote Control Toy YPG Series 20A SBEC Brushless ESC|Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress
12s max, 20A output 5-9V

1 Like