Let there be ESK8 lights

Whaaat? Are you telling me I accidentally shorted two 12V converters for no reason while running around in the dark like an idiot with that light? :man_facepalming:
In any case, the product description page on Amazon says 10V - 30V DC. You sure it can handle 50V ?

(And yes, that light is amazingly bright, perfect for esk8 use imo)

Edit: Nevermind, looks like your model is a bit different, mine has thicker heat pipe wings, and is 40W :grin: (And yeah, also supports up to 60 V :man_facepalming: )

Yeah it said 60v on the box, I want sure but I found the datasheet and it also said 60v. Tried it on current limited power supply then on my board. Seems to be working great.

1 Like

We had played around with a light system free from the battery pack. That unit is self-contained with battery pack 3s w/BMS and BT RGB LEDs, it will also support headlights and tail lights and has a long battery life if everything is at reasonable volts 9v

The converted shred lights are old ones that the battery craped out on and we removed it and installed direct connectors, you can run 4 lights and the LEDs off the 3s pack with about 6 hours of run time, depending on the brightness, etc. The shred lights retain their function through the button on each light but power on all at once when power is applied

2 Likes

Would I be able to wire those shredlights to the same battery?

1 Like

yes, you would need to tap in off the bms, but in order to power on from the switch on the unit it would have to be in series with the BT

2 Likes

You need thicker stronger mounts. The weight of the light on that thin metal with esk8 vibrations is obvious. A bushing alone wont help you need stronger mounts.

Anyone in the US wanna split with me on some lights? Its $50 for 10x :joy:

PS. I kid…I don’t need this many

11 Likes

This wont light out streets but ill be seen at night
for the rest im using a led flashlight or a head torch

20 Likes

Welp I might be getting in over my head a little…
5m of rgb 5050
15ft of icy blue EL wire
On top of my 2 addressable strips
Might be going overkill on my “there’s no fucking way you didn’t see me coming”

1 Like

The best you can do is make it all run on the same 12v or 5v set up then use a step down from the battery…otherwise you’re gonna have hella switches

1 Like

I have everything planned out for parts…only need to figure how and where :smile:

2 Likes

…wall-e? Is that you?

Nice, I’m also doing some of lights on mine. 1m of 144 pixel/m addressable underglow with a power boost line and a massive head light, not as extreme as yours but it should be pretty cool

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: yeah right looks like ir somehow

How are you guys reading throttle position information from UART for brake light?

1 Like

I highly recommend these light mounts (super stable) and the victagen lights they are designed for! https://www.nubx3d.com/shop

1 Like

Have this running on 32V dropping to 5V with buck converter.

At the bench power supply shows 32V and 0.012-0.014A (lights are flashing different patterns). Hoping to modify my riser to cram this in there and run power from the battery input that goes to the VESC.

Buck converter is rated for 60V input so hopefully it works.

1 Like

My last build.

No beam shot of the front unfortunately, but believe me that it’s BRIGHT as fuck.
Cree XHP35 LED at about 8 watts puts out some serious lumens. Tail light is about 1 watt at full power.

I set up a microcontroller to allow me to vary the brightness based on PPM signals, to give me high/low beams from an aux channel, and brake lights that come on brighter when you apply braking with the remote.

11 Likes

And it’s a hell of a piece of work to do. I’ve been researching about all we’ve talked about. You have went out into a whole new league for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes