Let there be ESK8 lights

It does a similar thing to what a relay does, except without wasting energy on a coil, and without moving parts.

1 Like

Like these?

They flash but as you decelerate the go hard on…

3 Likes

The mosfet uses idle energy though? Can I just add a 2nd relay switch to the ubox? Would this work? I am having a hard time finding a single relay for 60v most of them are 30v dc with 10a and 12v controlling. High quality Car Auto Relay With Relay Socket DC 12V 60V 80A 5Pin Waterproof Car Relay|Relays| - AliExpress If I were to use a mosfet, is this okay? 10pcs IRF3205 IRF3205PBF MOSFET MOSFT 55V 98A 8mOhm 97.3nC TO 220| | - AliExpress How would I connect the +ve/-ve of the battery and the +ve/-ve of the esc switch with the 3 pins?

Are you going to embed a arc -reactor into the deck?

1 Like

Yes this is the same as the bike one. I want it without the battery so i can connect it to my esk8 battery

1 Like

I am going to connect it like this: 16s flux deck build - #16 by Ean.esk8

2 Likes

Has there been any sort of consensus or highly recommended front lights for mountainboarding, which are perfect for attaching to a bull bar? I just received a bull bar set from Trampa and am in the market for a strong/powerful light coming from my bull bar which will thus allow me to finally add my davega where my previous light solution was.

1 Like

Bump

No. A relay does.

general consensus is that any 20W-120W light from aliexpress will do. Note that most of the smaller lights will likely overheat after a certain period, and some of the bigger lights sometimes need taking apart so you can add thermal paste behind the pcb to increase heat disipation.

The No.1 thing that breaks on mtb lights is usually the mount funnily enough.
Usually cast metal or cheap aluminium, it cracks and breaks under vibration, but this all depends on the manufacturer and isn’t a big deal to fix so i wouldn’t stress about that.

To calculate how many Amps your light will pull is very simple.
you take your volatage, usually 12-24v on a buck or 44v on a 12 battery, and you divide that by the amount of W the led pulls.

Take this light for example that seems good

so if you have a buck running at 24v
24V ÷ 50W = ~0.50A

I think 5A is really the max you want to pull from a light, otherwise it starts becoming a bit much.

And the last thing is wide angle is favourable over spot light
Why?
Having a light on a skateboard is just so low that the spot light isn’t effective… or at least not without blinding everyone but the FOV really isn’t great from so low.
Having an ultra bright light low to the ground also isn’t great because the glare will blind you (mine does this). So no point getting a 200w light, 50w is plenty already!

Hope this was a helpful guide

3 Likes
4 Likes

Thank you much!

1 Like

Mine hit a speed bump and broke might have lived with at wheels but the tb110 no chance. Now using 80v scooter light that bolt to kingpin.

Interested to see how it holds up. I’d imagine the kingpin sees similar vibrations to the hanger or bull bars.

I’m still loving my removable helmet light. Started getting dark the other day, stopped, bolted it on with the one thumb screw, and was off in about a minute.

1 Like

Does anyone remember what the lacroix headlights were?
I know for sure i found exact clones at some point but i can’t seem to nail the keywords on google anymore

1 Like

Maybe I missed it - did you say you built this? As in, had the custom pcba built and shipped?

The majority of the components on the BOM show as unavailable / no match found via the LCSC link. I’m curious about your experience building this.

2 Likes

Yes I ordered the PCBs from pcbway and assembled it myself it’s all through hole so easy as. Will do some pictures and guide if you are interested.

6 Likes

That would be excellent! I’ve never pulled the trigger on ordering a pcb, but I’d be comfortable soldering components and whatnot with a guide.

2 Likes

Yes! I want to make this too but I noticed it was out of stock too! I’d love a guide!

I was looking for mosfets with 12v Vgs,th because I will use 12v to turn on the mosfet but I cant find any. It seems that the Vgs,th is the very minimum for the mosfet to turn on and higher will make it even more on? I was going to get the FQP50N06 60V N channel mosfet. Is this okay because it says the Vgs,th is 2-4V so I don’t want to overwhelm it. I will use max 60v2A I guess because the stepdown converter after it will use 12V10A.

Shall I get a heatsink for the mosfet?