Let there be ESK8 lights

Looks very nice. The Maxkgo Buck converter is insane, 9-90V to 12V and 3A. Seems to run well, but this is just a 6s lipo so I’ll have to see once I hook up the 16s battery. Had to add another buck and LED driver as the lasers are only 3-5V. Despite having to fidget with multiple parallel connections and rushed soldering, it works.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Final product of this lights project!

11 Likes

Anyone know of a dead-simple UART brake light controller? Maybe even a PPM-tap to a microcontroller?

I’ve got 12v accessory power, and I just wanna open/close 12v positive power when braking is active. Are there any known solutions for this or am I better off going a custom route and working with ESP32’s or Arduino?

Unfortunately there isn’t much out there. Ubox has a break light output but thats it afaik. I use it on one of my boards and it works well. Zmote guy is working on something for lighting control but it’s probably a little while out.

I am working on an esp32 as a lighting controller that I could grab the pwm signal or maybe tie it to the can bus to grab a break signal except that this is my first microcontroller project and I have no programming experience lol so i am not making rapid progress. Im meeting up with my friend who is a competent programmer and does projects like this often and we are trading labor so maybe he can get me a bit further along.

Probably grabbing the pwm signal will be the simplest solution - say input from -1400 triggers the output. The buck that the zmote guy makes have a 5v logic input for on off so that could simplify the process a bit, i had to modify the 100v to 12v one he offers as it just has a switch and not a logic input but v1 works as advertised

3 Likes

It sounds like the Externally Powered version of the TelTail Lighting System would work well for you. It runs off 12v and can control the brake light based on UART or PPM input. I have 1 left and can work with you to customize the kit to include only the parts you need for your build. You can read more about it in the thread linked below or on the documentation page of my website.

Webstore: TTL Control Module EP – Solid Circuits

Thread: TelTail Lights (TTL) - Interactive eSkate Lighting System - Esk8 Electronics / New Tech & Development - esk8.news: DIY Electric Skateboard Forums

1 Like

I am a TTL user on my other board! Love the system. This is the perfect solution for what I need, and I’ll purchase it now. That’s pretty cool how there is just one left, but I hope one day the project can be revived considering it is fully open source, DIY esk8 is missing a solid go-to lighting controller. board lighting is personally one of the most important factors to me when it comes to a build.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Can I run an arduino nano and 4 LED lights off of the 5V pin on a VESC or is that risky? Just had the idea and wanna make sure I don’t fry another VESC

1 Like

I’m not too sure, but check your max output first. My vesc could only do .25 amps from it’s 5v aux, so I’m not sure if you can get much lighting from that. However I am thining of running a little fan off of mine, so I am wondering the same thing myself.

Depends on the esc.
The lf3.1 cannot supply that, if you try you’ll lose your imu and 5v rail.
Ask me how i know :slight_smile:

I have a stormcore 60d+ that I would be running it off of. Im not sure how to check how much current it can supply. I also have a UART receiver and a power button that has an LED running off of the ESC.

1 Like

I was told by Charles from Lacroix that it was 1 amp from all ports combined, 3v and 5v included. Be careful though! You might just be better off buying a $40 step down converter rather than a replacement $250 ESC.

He also said that it’s recommended to be way under the 1A limit, so definitely be sure you aren’t pulling anything crazy, and use some fuses if you go that route.

1 Like

Don’t use the 5V pin on VESC to power lighting. Even if it works and you’re in-spec, it’s a bad idea.

2 Likes

Oh sorry, I didnt recognize your username :sweat_smile: I know you know the TTL system real well by now lol Thanks for your continued support and for the order. Ill follow up over email to iron out the details of the kit.

Btw I have some Universal Power Switches (UPS) back in stock. I had to build one for someone last week and figured I’d build some extras since you asked about them months ago lol

1 Like

Ok, sounds good. Ill try to get a buck converter or something to run off of the smart BMS for the lights.

1 Like

All good. I’ve got plenty of room in this new build so I used a full on solid state relay from digikey. Your UPS units were quite amazingly compact, though!

1 Like

Kamen who does the Z.motes is working on exactly this, a lighting controller/switch that can be powered by the board or externally and interfaces with his remote.

I was actually just talking to him last night about how that’s a niche that needs filling in our market…

Super exciting stuff. I asked him to join the esk8 forum and make a vendor thread, we’ll see what he thinks.

11 Likes

Kamen hasn’t made a forum thread for it but he responded a few times in the Zmote thread, he’s @Zyb

I’m running a receiver with a high-low trigger in combination with an Alpha kit DBS switch, works great.

4 Likes

Pedego ebike lights. Good for 48v. 40$ each.
road specific (I.e. shaped light cone that doesn’t make you that guy with bright fuck-off lights aimed at other riders and cars eyeballs)

2 pin Juliet connectors stock. E-bike mechanic at Temecula Pedego threw in a Juliet connector harness for me to cut and solder on. Cool guy, showed me a bike trailer, told me his neurotic Australia shepherd wouldn’t tolerate it. No way George would then.

Mounted in 20mins to matrix hangers. I approve.

6 Likes

And then the Lezyne 500 lumen 52v e-bike single light, (60-70$ for one). Not shaped, gets hot to touch in 2 mins if not riding with airflow. GoPro mount.

3 Likes