Legit DIY Onewheel XR build guide

any chance looking at all the interest. A second batch will be made? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Iā€™d wait for the issues with footpads to be sorted out first.

I dont understand. How is the taxes on my motor any different from sayā€¦pei? I would like to understand and solve this issue.

Has anyone received their wheel from Pei? Iā€™m starting to lost hope on the wheel shipping. It has been a month with the fake tracking #. Seller says itā€™s because of coronavirus but Iā€™ve ordered several other parts from China with no problemā€¦

I followed up every single day until they did, ordered 15th of june got it 1st ish of july. Threaten a paypal chargeback or going to ali, solves it fairly quick.

2 Likes

Keep bugging them like badname suggests. I had two orders with them. An original order for a phub-144 and then when I decided to go with the DIYonewheel kit, I ordered a phub-188. Both orders received fake tracking numbers so Aliexpress wouldnā€™t automatically cancel the orders. Started bugging them specifically about the phub-188 order and they gave me a DHL tracking number that seems right but still didnā€™t start moving. After a week after getting the DHL number and asking why it hasnā€™t shipped, they finally shipped. When I received my phub-188, they still hadnā€™t done anything with my phub-144 order so submitted a cancellation on Aliexpress and they refunded my money for that order. So keep bugging them. Just donā€™t let your chargeback period lapse. If all else fails, can cancel your order and order from Fungineer.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, I started bugging more agressively. They read my last message and didnā€™t reply Iā€™ll give them until Friday then Iā€™ll start trying to cancel or chargeback.

I wish I knew about Fungineerā€™s stock sooner, I would order from him right now but donā€™t want to end up with two hubs.

Iā€™m not sure.For some reason I thought you where based in the US?
But now that you ask this Iā€™m not sure anymore.
Usually to get anything from the USA I have to pay something like 20%import tax +VAT. While when itā€™s from China itā€™s free most of the time (and when they bother to check I think itā€™s 10%).
From Honk Kong itā€™s been really random for me. Some package that I should not have, I have paid a lot and some I expected to pay for, just appeared at my door real fast.
So basically if youā€™re not in the US Iā€™m probably gonna buy from you after the next AliExpress wait time from pei is over

1 Like

Hi! Iā€™m about to start my first onewheel build and had a question for all you experienced builders. How do I make the footpads activate the motor controller when pressure is applied. I havenā€™t seen any wiring diagrams yet so I thought you guys would be the ones to ask.

look 10 posts up

1 Like

I have been researching building a onewheel since all the issues with latest FM hardware. It would be awesome if we could really build something open source that can compete with the XR. @Enginir your controller looks really promising. Do you have an eta yet? I have been looking at hub motors and spotted a peipei scooter motor rated at 800w 60v would this be compatible? Look forward to seeing more awesome diy onewheels and building my own!

Most people use the pei hub 48v 800w one. Youā€™d want a high voltage vesc if you were to use the 60v (i dont think his works above 12s) so youā€™d be looking at a stormcore for that. Or the new 84v focer.

I ordered the Pei Scooter wheel on June 18th and still nothing! They gave me a bogus tracking number and they sent me a picture of a cardboard box. I have messaged them about 10 times now and will again today. If you want to get pissed off, then order a wheel from these assholes!!

Thatā€™s sadly their modus operandi (and kind of the AliExpress shipping model for some big shippments)
I think they donā€™t have much stock. So they send once theyā€™ve produced. In the meantime they provide random numbers. If you spam them enough theyā€™ll send you a viable tracking number. (Which at that point means they have paid for shipping and now have an actual tracking number and the shipping sticker).
And the funniest part is to come. Usually ups take care of the package once it as reached the destination continent. (So once out of the cargo ship, or plane). In the meantime youā€™ve got an uncertain time where your package could be traveling already, or not at all.

Youā€™ll probably get your stuff at some point. Keep and eye out and bugging them from time to time, to be able to fill a claim with AliExpress if this get out of hand. And maybe speed things up a little

As far as most people have been able to tell different voltages are the same motor. The only difference is 600w or 800w versions. My brother and I got different voltages versions in 800w and the kv tested the same.

2 Likes

Could you specify ā€œdifferent voltagesā€ version?
I thought about running the Phub 188 48V 800W with 60V.
I did not get any information from PeiScooter if the 48V version can withstand 60V.
Still hope to get some data if the 48V & 60V has the same kv rating and wiring.

1 Like

I think what he means is that on a one wheel, battery space I quite limited. So youā€™ll be hard pressed to manage a pack that supplies 60v in such a little space.
I think most people have managed 12s1p, some up to 12s2p. So 48v if I didnā€™t miss something crucial

In the enginir frame 12s2p is easy, and i think some have done 3p.

Yeah I tried to get detail from Pei as well and that didnā€™t work. Iā€™m sure either motor could handle 60V or more. Heat and current is the enemy of the motor, not voltage. Usually the differences in voltage mean a different KV (number of turns) and maybe wiresize. On the Pei that doesnā€™t appear to be the case, at least in the motors Iā€™ve tested.

What unloaded max RPM can you reach at what voltage? That will tell the KV.

I had picked the lower voltage in the hopes of getting a higher KV / faster top end.