Larger motor pulley = more efficient?

According to Lacroix they can keep your money and ship parts after you’ve requested an order cancellation. Unless I’m misunderstanding their terms page. Seems really shitty

And you can immediately dispute the charge, and put the box back outside marked return to sender immediately on arrival. And there is nothing they could do about that.

At that point I’m relying on my credit card company to agree to a charge back dispute in my favor, and I have very little faith in credit card companies. Have you ever won a chargeback? I hear it’s rare.

If Lacroix refuses to cancel the order, I’ll probably just eat it, but I’ll be sure to make other people aware of their policy.

Huh i actually have like a 90% success rate on those if i dont lie. With a lil documentation of refused refund and sent back package though? You golden.
I agree though, shitty policy. I just wanna make sure people know they can be shitty right back<3

3 Likes

Especially the wording. The way they put it, they could sell you a non-existant product that was nothing but a render, never produce it, and leave you in limbo indefinitely. Thats legalese trash.

3 Likes

I’m going to wait until their response tomorrow before I bitch any more. Their official terms don’t look great but most vendors are reasonable in situations like this.

I placed an order from TB a while back and then realized I wanted to get something different. 1 easy email and the order was cancelled. Should be the same here.

1 Like

I assume their customer service is more reasonable than their lawyers until proved otherwise. Regardless, they make quality shit, stormcores in particular are the esc i trust most out of everything currently on market.

But… For the official record…

https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/ferrari-roma-test-drive

You can abso-fucking-lutely test drive a ferrari, al pacino doesnt know shit about fuck.

3 Likes

Getting back on topic. This guy did a dyno test and showed that the motor he was testing only increased efficiency as he applied more throttle.

1 Like

There is a difference between core losses and copper losses, and under the right conditions a motor can be more efficient at a lower rpm due to core losses surpassing copper losses.

I haven’t seen a case yet for normal eskate drivetrains where this is the case. It is technically possible.

But generally it’s going to be more efficient when the motor is spinning faster, all other things equal. (The side effect of limiting top speed also contributes to some additional range beyond that.)

2 Likes

Efficiency is not subjective at all, it can be quantified into hard numbers with enough effort.

8 Likes

It’s not rare at all, I would guess most chargebacks are won by the consumer based on my limited experiences.

Follow the money trail. The card issuer (debit or credit) makes money when the consumer uses it to buy things. They take around 3% of the purchase price from the merchant. If the consumer doesn’t want to use that card, they don’t make money from the sale. It has little to do with the merchant. The card issuers work for the spender, not the receiver.

3 Likes

If you double the motor tooth count, the motor spins half as fast for the same constant ground speed so you need twice the torque to maintain it which quadruples the I^2R=W losses.

6 Likes

now that we’re on the subject of efficiency, I’m in the process of building a 16s board with 205kv motors with a 6.42:1 gear ratio. That should be very efficient, right?

2 Likes

The more I learn about these motors, the more it seems they are all very efficient in the ranges we use them, and the kind of efficiency differences we may be chasing are relatively small.

Equal Load is a 2s or 3s Brushless Motor More Efficient on the Dyno? - YouTube

If you want the most efficiency then set your gear ratio for lowest no load ground speed you are willing to accept.

3 Likes

My understanding is the bigger pulley won’t necessarily help increase range, its how you’re using the board with the new pulley.

With a smaller pulley(more torque) you’d be using more battery accelerating hard off the launch, but with the bigger pulley if you are exceeding the new top speeds then there won’t be any battery savings.

its only if you accelerate the same way as before with the bigger motor pulley, then it should be more efficient at the cost of torque.

I think that’s backwards actually, the motor would be doing less work for the same acceleration thanks to the increased mechanical advantage.

4 Likes

It is entirely dependent on how you ride.

If you ride fast and hard, then bigger motor pulley is going to hurt you.

If you ride chill and cruise, then it is possible because outrunners have a whole lot of magnetic losses, and it is very possible those losses can dominate at lower speeds. Bigger motor pulley means motor spins slower which reduces magnetic losses.

This can only be the case if you a lightly tapping the throttle throughout the ride.

1 Like

@rafaelinmissouri shared some interesting findings here The Carver... My final frontier - #210 by rafaelinmissouri

Very surprising that 200mm Kenda tires result in better wh/mile efficiency than 155mm metros. Seems like bigger tires with more rotational mass should be worse on efficiency. I don’t understand it.

I might swap kenda’s onto my TB AT wheels to see if I get the same result.

I’m also coming around to the idea of doing some real world testing / science.

1. 12t vs 20t motor pulleys
  2. 10mm belts vs 15mm belts

Both tests would involve cruising at 20mph for a couple miles, starting from full battery pack to control for voltage. Anyone have predictions?

1 Like

this surprised me as well.
mind you none of it was very scientific.

but metros may have been softer and more contact and yada yada yada!!!

1 Like