Lacroix Introduces: The Barrel

if you come from popsicle decks I would think you would like smaller, tldr there is no point in going further than an athletic stance width, and shorter = tighter turning radius. The example he gives of the turning radius is weird/misleading because I have ridden a prototipo & lonestar and the turning radius should be way tighter.
He also appears to have a bandage wrapping on his hand / arm, I wonder if he got hurt riding the board and got pissed.

7 Likes

Betcha he tried going full throttle with a ham fisted approach right outta the box being used to hobbywing esc’s and got chucked. Dude spent a solid 2 hours arguing about how he absolutely has to floor it with all of his boards and yet wont turn up the power on the VESC settings (i wonder why)

3 Likes

Yeah, blows me away how many people ride with these spread out stances, locked into the ends of their board. I’m 6’4" and have zero issues riding the Prototipo- athletic stance is spot on- your legs should be aligned to your shoulders and knees bent. If that feels wrong, you need to practice more and build balance & strength in your legs.

I started boardsports with surfing and DH, some of the locknee cowboy stances folks use in Esk8 crack me up. It’s a crutch one should be trying to overcome.

11 Likes

@TheBoardGarage the onewheel guy :joy:

1 Like

Bet the parts and electronics on the barrel will last longer then the chinese brands.

1 Like

My exway would like a word.

8 Likes

@evwan 's exway just shat out on him while riding around a campus apparently :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a 2 year old water damaged exway flex with a motor that sounds like hell. I’m not surprised. The only reason I didn’t fall was because I was literally expecting it to give out. I have some fresh motors I’ll throw on there to give it a new shot at existence

2 Likes

How’d you even end up with that?

Anyways, before i get too far off topic - I dont doubt lacroix is gonna last a hell of a lot longer, i’ve owned my share of other budget boards and there’s a reason that’s past tense haha. Only point of concern i see is the little enclosure washers/gaskets, if those deteriorate too quickly they could lead to undue wear

1 Like

It was free

Anyone else in here receive a barrel? Would love to hear more feedback on how it is.

my exway would also like a word

Mines been stuck in customs the past few days - should hopefully get it tomorrow but just in time for a full week of rain :cry:

I’ve had my Barrel for a few weeks. I’m really enjoying it. For me, it’s a Proto-two-po. My last board was a DIY Subsonic + eBoosted + 10S5P 18650 + TB Direct Drive. I’ve got a Flux v1 build I’ve been procrastinating on, so this was a nice out-of-the-box option. The alternative was trying catch and/or bid up a Prototipo unobtainium.

My rubber washers on the enclosure screws are fine. The take torque on mode 3 of the Hoyt Puck suits me, but I came from a direct drive board, so I lack a good frame of reference. The good thing is that I don’t need to love the stock acceleration. I’ll end up tweaking all sorts of settings in VESC Tool.

I feel like the Barrel isn’t about an initial impressions video. For me it’s the combination and options around speed versus carving. I find the Hypertrucks Lite setup a nice happy medium between the two, but I’m sure I’ll play around different bushing combos in the future.

In addition to being a Prototipo alternative, I’ve got a set of nice components (enclosure, ESC, trucks, etc.). None are throw-away.

19 Likes

Watch out, youre going to trigger @TheBoardGarage talking like that :kissing_heart:

3 Likes
2 Likes

nice review, I def agree that there needs to be better videos/instructions out there on how to use the vesc tool, app is not intuitive.
Also, I will get to try a barrel on the tack this week, well see how it does.

3 Likes

funny how ONE more barrel review comes out and basically confirms everything i showed as results, and everyone is quiet :joy: hahahahaha . anyone wanna make a barrel review and do something different than me and jared, no one stoppin ya… the negativity is just ridiculous. never seen a forum so hateful before in my entire life. mad weird

sorry if i used ur last post as a “reply”. wasnt aiming that at u exactly. dont use this forum at all and its a little funky to me. :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

Haven’t watched either video, but maybe the other guy isn’t a knob :man_shrugging:

6 Likes