La Croix ¥ MBS Matrix II ¥ MBS 5*9” ¥ eToxx helical 1:6.25 ¥ 30Q 12s7p ¥ Unity?

Thanks, that worked out mostly good, all done on that part, went with the self tapping M5 brass inserts, 4 on the back, 2 on the front, probably will add another 2 on the front

5 Likes

Going into No Man’s Land :smiley:

wrong size...not M12

It’s just a M12 threaded rod with 15mm OD, 50mm long. Plan is to drill into it on one side to have the same amount of smooth bore as the regular extender. Then it should pass through the hub the same way, obviously I will fit at that stage and see how much protrudes, mark it tight and bump up with a 12mm shim or two, on the end a M12 bolt

It’s maybe a way to get a hub with a wider space between bearings to work in this case.

I think maybe Megastars would work with the regular extender but I do not have them, also they would need a different drive adapter wheel for Trampa pattern

Printed what I thought could be the orientation of the cells in a jig printed x2, I will make some kind of divider

Messily glued together with one cell needing a small wrap repair, see how this goes in each segment so far so good

Alessio should have my extenders pretty soon so hopefully will be able to get the drives mounted properly to the 5* soon

Also printed some SK3 covers I think it was John Albrecht that put them on thingiverse, I like ‘em. Probably need to clear a partial block but not getting 3D diverted now!

1 Like

The power button thingimajig is something I stole from from @philvanzu

Here’s the link to my mod of Phil’s work

1 Like

So…we’re back in business after @rey8801 shaved the nuts of those extenders for me, big thank you Alessio

@Riako @Nowind

You can see the 10mm grub, it is fully seated against the end of the axle now & the extender is fully threaded. Bonus is that a 10mm bolt is not necessary and you can even still use a socket on what’s left of the nut

@nowind: holy shit dude its not much left (-;

Hey! If bending happens to what’s left I would be surprised, but I have hardened M10 bolts with washers to replace the grub and reinforce if needs be

@mobutusan: That is awesome. Way to make it work. Funny how just a little bit of material can make all the difference. I was also going to try to get my hands on a set of five stars so I can run 9" tires until I saw this, but now that I know it’s possible, I’m wondering if I can just shave my nuts at home using hand tools or a drill or something.

Those extenders are tough steel, we’ve all seen mcgyver type rigs with a press drill and an insert clamped to the bed but I seriously would not

A lathe that can cut steel is needed to make any kind of precision

6 Likes

Some alu spacers I had made for the hubs to run on these 15mm extenders were waiting for me when I got home from a very boozy trip to France with some old buds, hope they fit! :sweat_smile:

15x20x23.5

They fit grand, with a 16mm bolt threaded in there is about a 1.5mm gap to put a couple of washers between what’s left of the extender hex and the M10 bolt (or cut the bolt down a little)

4 Likes

You could have put a bit more effort in though Alan.

2 Likes

edit: irrelevant.

yep the 5star hub is wider, the hole pattern is the same though. Do something like this and you are on your own.

Plus a 4:1 drive will have a terrible time driving a 9" wheel, you want a 6.25:1 gearing or 5:1 anyway

3 Likes

How are your nuts holding up with your 5 stars? I had my buddy with a lathe help shave my nuts (he’s a reallly good friend) and I think they look great. Left about 2mm, which is what I think you ended up with, correct? What do you think?

4 Likes

Nice! 2mm is what I ended up with as well thanks to @rey8801

But you get to test first :pensive:

I have the Unity’s but have been balls-out busy for last couple of months.

2 Likes

You fartknocker! I thought you’d have done all the hard Guinea pigging by now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’ve been crazy busy too, but I guess I need to pull some late nighters to test pilot these things.

And on another note, I just had an idea of using the grub screw hole for a bolt on fender that goes on the outside of the wheel. I don’t know if that makes sense, but I bet @riako could make or adapt a design that works.:thinking:

1 Like

That could work fine, there is already a fender design on thingiverse afaik

Could you not adapt it yourself? It’s 95% there, just some cad work

2 Likes

Thanks @Venom121212 this is nice, found a couple of Ti fasteners in the bolt :package:

5 Likes

I need to work on my CAD skills so I can mix this design up a bit! Nice work @Venom121212 is it on Thingiverse?

2 Likes

sure is

2 Likes

Is that a gold davega? :star_struck:

2 Likes

If you can draw poorly what you’re after, I’m happy to design something for you… I lack creativity. Fellow mtbs gotta look out! Pm me though so we don’t derail this beautiful thread I somehow missed.

1 Like

It’s true, a derail here would be a shame… but perhaps it would encourage @magharees to finish the build!

slinks away to procrastinate further on own build

3 Likes

Not really, it’s a Proton Monitor with a wood pla case. It connects to UART of ESC, can drive some low powered lights, has a couple of USB ports. The dev @wadji (search .builders)

Seems to have lost interest in connecting with the community & improving it. However it does support the Unity which is cool.

The case is a derivative of @LR-designs model for the 1st DaveGA, it’s on thingiverse.

But given I don’t know whether you can actually buy a Proton and if Wadji plans to keep on developing it or answer any support queries I cannot recommend it really :confused:

My experience purely on the bench so far is that it is promising but DaveGA raced ahead in features and I don’t see this coming back as a competitor unless some work is done to release features like endless ride, geo stuff, ride data in the cloud etc.

Also it has a flakey f/w updater tool which makes you feel like you’ve bricked it, documentation is scant and dev. has left the building.

I hear you!

2 Likes