La Croix ¥ MBS Matrix II ¥ MBS 5*9” ¥ eToxx helical 1:6.25 ¥ 30Q 12s7p ¥ Unity?

Cláirseach Trá beach wood louse

Mock ups, using extenders back and front, went to be with the manual and came back and removed the lock nuts :grin:

The 12mm grubs go deeper in the drive axle, is this ok @Nowind

There is a 12mm copper shim, not sure which side of the 3D printed spacer it goes?

16 Likes

The extenders with grubs fitted

@Riako: "Did you got an extended version of the extender !?? :yum:

Those 230 x 65 look sick !!"

Would you believe they still have mold lines on them! but probably old and gone off. Still light so will give them a go.

T2’s are a bit heavier for sure, maybe a third more but also really chunky. 5* share the same bolt pattern as the Rockstar’s so direct fit the the drive

Tires have N.H.S on them so maybe off a hospital trolley

@Riako: Nice, thanks for the feedback :wink:

> 5 share the same bolt pattern as the Rockstar’s so direct fit the the drive*

Yes, Rockstar, R2, R Pro and Fivestar have the same pattern but not the same deepness?

Jens make the test with my Matrix 2 new hanger length last summer because I ask him if I could set 9" wit 5, and it was not possible, maybe the extenders are longer now …*
Its why I was curious, because it’s the setup I want :blush: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If I make this layout like I already did, the extender didn’t go out of the 5 rim, as they are wider than the Rockstar2 …*

(As my board didn’t roll anymore, I will unset and measure them. But the 5 wide is around 39/40mm, Rockstar is less, around 37.5mm if I remember. And Trampa are 35mm deep, they will need washer…) I will make it just like you ^^ (with T2, after finishing my Primo Stricker I guess)*

Witch motors will you choose?"

To be honest I don’t know if the rear extenders with the drives should be as far out as they are, maybe because it’s not fully threaded to the axle.

I think I should examine more before loctiting, this is a mock-up

Mr. @Nowind probably knows the answer

4 Likes

Here’s what we looking at on disassembly

The extender is inside by 6.3mm

Bearing face to bearing face on the hub is 36.5mm

There is I guess a 3mm gap between the 3D printed spacer and the extender

2 Likes

Life goes on

1 Like

@xsynatic : How did you balance your wheels? Mine wobble quite a bit (because of the valve?)

I haven’t yet but was thinking of using beads

Quick template before sneaking off for a spicy pizza, sprayed in 3 of the 1.5mm silicone

Titanium Age metalwork

If you’re wondering how I’m getting time to make progress like this, the truth is I made a Fritzl type underground living quarters for my wife and two girls, or they went away visiting family on school holidays, you decide

5 Likes

Let’s just call that a practice run

With coffee instead of beer

Oopz remember bend not hammer a little late

Maybe I can make a @moon surface to hide mistakes :joy:

5 Likes

@Nowind : IMO its not save to use the Truckextension with the wide Fivestar Hubs on Matrix2 Trucks. I told @Riako last year about and i still think the same!

1 Like

Weighing up MBS F5 binding vs Freebord S2, yes I know but they are still the best open system to buy…come on community!

These aren’t just for looks, I ride goofy so I want to be able to switch them on the fly for the other persuasion

Summary

That is another win for the S2.

Redaction: community foot hooker is here thanks to @danile

5 Likes

I hear you, thanks for confirming Jens, I’ll maybe just run 8” in the rear and 9” on the front j/k :joy: I will think of something to make it happen

Beautiful machining all around but you can just gaze at helical all morning

If only I had the wherewithal and the machinery to turn this 16mm rod into a longer extender reality :laughing:

Choice of either furniture threaded inserts in mild steel which take a M4 bolt : you can see one at the front lying loose, it’s 6mm long. Needs a 5mm hole

Or what is on the M5 bolts, brass self tapping inserts, they need a 6.8mm hole, they are 8.2mm long, deck is about 9.6mm thick

I am going to use 4 bolts on each side configured per picture, still allowing adjustments.

Are 4 x M4 bolts strong enough, I am leaning that way as prefer to drill as small as possible while keeping strength #1

Hey @Arch what type do you use? Hard to see the M3 version for the enclosure, they are such so would guess self tapping like the brass ones above

Also those knurled knobs are M5

One mounted successfully, no threading! Using HK TL-609, the strong green stuff on the outside of the inserts

5 Likes

@arch: We use M3 Self tapping but if you are going to use a lot of pull out force (for the bindings) I’d recommend using M4 and higher.

Thanks, that worked out mostly good, all done on that part, went with the self tapping M5 brass inserts, 4 on the back, 2 on the front, probably will add another 2 on the front

5 Likes

Going into No Man’s Land :smiley:

wrong size...not M12

It’s just a M12 threaded rod with 15mm OD, 50mm long. Plan is to drill into it on one side to have the same amount of smooth bore as the regular extender. Then it should pass through the hub the same way, obviously I will fit at that stage and see how much protrudes, mark it tight and bump up with a 12mm shim or two, on the end a M12 bolt

It’s maybe a way to get a hub with a wider space between bearings to work in this case.

I think maybe Megastars would work with the regular extender but I do not have them, also they would need a different drive adapter wheel for Trampa pattern

Printed what I thought could be the orientation of the cells in a jig printed x2, I will make some kind of divider

Messily glued together with one cell needing a small wrap repair, see how this goes in each segment so far so good

Alessio should have my extenders pretty soon so hopefully will be able to get the drives mounted properly to the 5* soon

Also printed some SK3 covers I think it was John Albrecht that put them on thingiverse, I like ‘em. Probably need to clear a partial block but not getting 3D diverted now!

1 Like

The power button thingimajig is something I stole from from @philvanzu

Here’s the link to my mod of Phil’s work

1 Like

So…we’re back in business after @rey8801 shaved the nuts of those extenders for me, big thank you Alessio

@Riako @Nowind

You can see the 10mm grub, it is fully seated against the end of the axle now & the extender is fully threaded. Bonus is that a 10mm bolt is not necessary and you can even still use a socket on what’s left of the nut

@nowind: holy shit dude its not much left (-;

Hey! If bending happens to what’s left I would be surprised, but I have hardened M10 bolts with washers to replace the grub and reinforce if needs be

@mobutusan: That is awesome. Way to make it work. Funny how just a little bit of material can make all the difference. I was also going to try to get my hands on a set of five stars so I can run 9" tires until I saw this, but now that I know it’s possible, I’m wondering if I can just shave my nuts at home using hand tools or a drill or something.

Those extenders are tough steel, we’ve all seen mcgyver type rigs with a press drill and an insert clamped to the bed but I seriously would not

A lathe that can cut steel is needed to make any kind of precision

6 Likes

Some alu spacers I had made for the hubs to run on these 15mm extenders were waiting for me when I got home from a very boozy trip to France with some old buds, hope they fit! :sweat_smile:

15x20x23.5

They fit grand, with a 16mm bolt threaded in there is about a 1.5mm gap to put a couple of washers between what’s left of the extender hex and the M10 bolt (or cut the bolt down a little)

4 Likes

You could have put a bit more effort in though Alan.

2 Likes

edit: irrelevant.

yep the 5star hub is wider, the hole pattern is the same though. Do something like this and you are on your own.

Plus a 4:1 drive will have a terrible time driving a 9" wheel, you want a 6.25:1 gearing or 5:1 anyway

3 Likes