Kweld spot welder

Could you explain that import regulation ? Is it the item or sender country based ?

It’s one part in the kweld which is restricted to import into Russia and maybe other countries, but I can’t tell you about that.

1 Like

@tatus1969 Dear Frank, could you tell which component (or a general component family) creates that problem ? Is it only applied in Russia or any other countries too, Turkey for example ?

Resistance spot welders fall under the “dual use” class of instruments and are regarded as potential tools for building nuclear weapons. Even though nobody will be able to weld together titanium sheet metal for a centrifuge for uranium enrichment with a kWeld, the governmental regulations are made this way. Even when I export to other countries like US, I have to basically swear by god that I don’t sell the tool for such a purpose. And Russia is, among a few other countries like the Iran, explicitly put under embargo for these “dual use” goods. That’s why I decided to exclude these countries, even though I made rightfully be able to sell to them but I don’t want to risk trouble from some stupid EU official who knows nothing about electronics but everything about his right for law enforcement.

It should be the same story for Malectrics, and I’m not sure if he is aware of this potential risk.

edit: the same story holds for the Maxwell ultracapacitors, my guess is that you could use them to build railguns. That’s actually which made me aware of this problem, as I get them from Digikey and they put corresponding warnings on their invoice in that case.

7 Likes

I’m sorry but I might have lost track of this as we have just moved to a different place with my entire family and business. I recall having received a kSupply module with a broken trim pot and had put that to my shelf of stuff for later salvaging or dumping. Haven’t I sent you a replacement module? And I can’t find how to relate your forum id here to your real name/address/email. No finds for “darkie02” in my email archive. Sorry for that. Please contact me via email (frank.boeh@keenlab.de) with reference to this thread, and I’ll sort that out for your asap.

2 Likes

I see your point and that situation is really sad. I checked the aliexpress and sunkko models are continuously being shipped to Russia and US. So the problem is caused by the EU officials in your country ? No allowable power interval or etc. is given then, just “spot welders export” is forbidden ?

I’m not sure that adhering strictly to export regulations is cause for concern. It is someone abiding by the regulations which apply. We all know Chinese companies don’t really care about that kind of thing at all.

Are you on an export embargo in turkey and affected?

There are about 160 US nukes in Turkey, not everything makes sense in this world either way.

1 Like

I didnt quite check the export embargoes throughly but sure I must do that. We have to obey the rules and not draw negative attraction upon esk8ing.

160 ? The number which is spoken is quite lower than that (50) and its not certain if there is any… If there really are, none of them belongs to TR and all must be in US military bases in TR.

After the first 10 or so who’s left to do the counting? :joy: anyway detail jail is calling me @BillGordon

1 Like

Just the EU document that details what is forbidden and what is allowed is 252 pages long. Out of curiosity, I browsed through it. Guess what, even a lathe is restricted if it exceeds a certain precision (!).

Turkey is not on the list for this kind of goods, but as a seller I’m supposed to track this on a daily basis as political craziness changes quickly… Meaning that I’m probably with one foot in jail already, as I haven’t checked that for a while…

2 Likes

About to pull the plug on a kit
:relaxed:

Manual is a good read

Do you think a 3S2P of these would work?

Thats incredibly cheap for such high powered batteries… seems like a scam

1 Like

Hahaha is no scam, just the best deal in batteries there is. I check their site every other day and have notifications set up. Those cells do 1000A instant so maybe 3S1P would be good.

Wow there have been 9000 KWELDs sold
Impressive.

3 Likes

probably 9001 soon :rofl:

2 Likes

I was the 9010th!

$243 well spent.

9009 would have been cool too, where ya at?

2 Likes

I ma try to convince myself to go for the Malectric spot welder but the difference in price seems not worth it the assle. This Kweld looks so good.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m dreaming of welding copper :star_struck:

2 Likes

It’s not. Battery hookup is legit

3 Likes

Kweld is rated up to 2000A then it should self protect
Recommended 1500A supply
Recommended min 1200A supply
Absolute min 800A supply

I would try 3s2p possibly 3s3p I found 1 3s1p 6000ma Turnagy graphite gave me 1200A

3s2p(paralleling a2nd battery) gave me 1800a (added 50%)

I never tried a 3rd as I dident want to exceed the maximum 2000a. Just saying 3 might exceed the units limit of 2000a.

The battery ideal internal resistance and voltage was talked about above

5 Likes

Thanks so much for the help I’m trying my best to understand it. I’ll definitely give these cells a shot.

Does anyone know if I should expect import duties?
To the US of A.