Kweld spot welder

Useing a lipo to power the Capps is not a current regulated supply don’t do it.

Nope actually I can’t get a lipo shipped to me so psu seems good. Only problem is that all in all I am looking at over 600$ with shipping for the welder, kcap and psu

1 Like

I never said to charge them without a ksupply :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe its a misunderstanding

@Tamatoa yea a psu is a better solution anyways

1 Like

Consider a 700cca car battery

3 Likes

Also a good and cheap option, maybe even the best when you look at performance for money

With the new ones, battery or caps won’t explode anymore but still the kCap input circuit will go through hell and back.

1 Like

hmm my welds stopped sticking and I notice one pack getting very warm while the other mostly cool. Really not sure what is up but I am hoping to get welding and bang out like 2K welds in the next few days. That’s gonna be a lot of tip sanding.

I decided to hook up three of the Spim08hp 3S1P pack that previously gave overcurrent (although worked for other with longer wires) and I am only seeing 1200 amps… sooooooo

something ain’t too good there I guess.

@Battery_Mooch should I just balance charge the packs and see if it magically fixes them?

Not sticking in the slightest

55j only .1mm so that seems bad. Glad this is not an important battery but the group I did Already I don’t trust.

I have no idea what might be going on. I’m just not able to guess what could help. Whatever you do, go slow and monitor all the cells as you charge or use them.

1 Like

Those SPIM08HP cells are super 50/50 in my experience, I tried using them for a mobile charging station but the cells had such differing internal resistances and capacities that every P group was out of balance by the time I had discharged the pack once. Wouldnt recommend for anything that requires any cell-cell consistency ie 1s packs to power arduinos (or what have you).

1 Like

So after skimming through this thread i’m seeing that the recommendation for using a lead acid battery with the kweld seems to be about 700CCA…

Can you confirm this is the best option @tatus1969 ?

1 Like

I think i read on the kweld website to use 800CCA

2 Likes

so you two are saying I should buy a car… interesting… interesting…

1 Like

Presumably to assemble batteries, inside of?

1 Like

that sound like suicide with extra steps

• Small enclosed space
  • Everything’s a fire hazard
  • Combustible gasoline right under you :rofl:
2 Likes

i’ll take 3.

2 Likes

You have space for 3 cars? I’m jelly

2 Likes

They will be stacked on top of eachother much like this:

makes the the most efficient fire starting

^These fresh packs are back to 1800A cal

1 Like

I see quite a lot of questions for a power source for the kWeld.

I recently bought the kWeld and struggled as well finding the right power source which is easy to get in Europe.

I ended up buying a 3s 130c 6000mah CNHL lipo.

I bought two of them to connect them in parallel but I received one with a dead cell so tried to use 1 lipo instead before I send a warenty ticket to CNHL.

It worked out pretty well. On the calibration I got around 1750 amps on storage level.

Today I welded my first pack together with this lipo and got amperages between 1720 and 1790 with this lipo. The voltage after around 200 welds was 3.96.

This might sound weird but I wouldn’t recommend CNHL. See the lipo with the dead cell but I’ve also had quite a bit bad lipos for rc purposes in the past from them. Must say that I did got my money back within 2 work days after my ticket for the dead lipo.

If no other lipos are available you can check the website of CNHL. They have a EU and USA warehouse beside their Chinese warehouse and often got a decent stock in Europe with fair prices.

I paid 44 euro for my single lipo including shipping to the Netherlands from a German warehouse, not to bad.

We’ll have to see how long it’ll last. I don’t have high expectations here but for now it does the job.

1 Like

@glyphiks You still using two of these in parallel?