Kushboard Pico, an even lighter build! | 121c Orbiter | BN 145mms Belt drive | 10s1p P42A | Mach 1s |

wait, how does the new axle holds in place ?

I’m gonna secure the axle to the aluminum plate with a dutch pin, or grub screw, and the plate will be secured by four bolts on the end of the motor can.

1 Like

I’m not sure what it is,

sounds like a long way from the side of the plate to the axle, it better not stripes ^^"

1 Like

The motor shaft now is way oversized, it’s 100mm now. I plan to use probably about 30mm of it.
This is a dutch pin. Just something to obstruct the shaft and hole so it has no chance to slip.

3 Likes

Some progress today. Got another of the same plate and cut a recess for a 608 bearing, this will be bolted to the other motor mount and act as the support for the other end of the motor shaft

There is about 4 to 5mm of gap between each plate if everything is secured. Everything is kinda mock up right now and i dont have the right length hardware so ill continue next week

Monday comes the hard part, machining the dutch pin

12 Likes

I know that’s just tape on the bottom pic but you should totally cut a groove like that on the lathe, black the plates out, and fill the groove with green epoxy/resin :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Ehhh aesthetics will come later, lets see if this frankenstein even works well first

Oh also, one plate will rotate, the other won’t

5 Likes

This is so fucking cool - well done Linny. Can’t wait to see it completed.

10 Likes

Somethings happening

I cut the shaft to length. And drilled the dutch pin. Cleaned and flooded all mating points with 638 retaining compound, and pressed a 3mm pin with a press.

Im tired already so everything is soft fit now. Ill tighten and threadlock every bolt next week

14 Likes

@Linny are you fully aware of how fuckin cool this project is?
I think it’s important you’re made aware of that

11 Likes

Thank you! It has been fun machining these.

2 Likes

Ride test!

I dont really know how to explain it. But it can still make turns. Due to the back wheels in the same rpm all the time, when turning, one of the wheels is in constant drifting. Its definitely an unusual sensation. Carving is also similar, feel wise. It worked pretty well for the first 10 mins and then shredded itself when i noticed the shaft i made was poking out a bit. Turns out the motor shaft that connects to my plate via dutch pin came loose. So that’s on me. Not sure if this is still worth exploring or should i just suck it up and revert to single drive

8 Likes

Yes

5 Likes

Linny’s hero timeline where he creates the first esk8 differential begins!

4 Likes

Depends entirely on whether you want to engage in the noble art of fucking around and the subsequent era or discovery, or have an immediately practical board. IMO if it’s anything more than like 40% practical then probably not, but it’s a super cool project so I’ll happily watch the fuckery if you have the inclination

1 Like

I will attempt one more time!

So the flaw with my securing method is that with this dutch pin, it prevents the shaft from spinning yes, but if the retaining compound gives way (in which it did), it made the shaft shift out.

What should my solution be? Make a flat spot on my shaft and with a grub screw on the aluminum plate (imagine a big motor pulley)? Calling for opinions!

2 Likes

Can you tap the hole you made and use a grub screw instead of a cylinder pin so it has more surface area to not back out?
Would have to lock the parts together well when tapping

1 Like

Drill out the backside a bit and do a stepdown axle that sits behind the plate maybe?

Oh it wasn’t the pin that backed out, it was the entire shaft that did.

maybe one of these two ideas can be applied?

3 Likes