J Tyrannotron Bench

Sooo close but no cigar on finishing the battery tonight. Need to wire up the charging on the BMS and batt, then wrap it up and should be good to go.

Had to spend a lot of time extending balance wires as they were too short.

6 Likes

Looking really good dude!

TLDR what bms is that?

Edit: your multimeter is exactly the same as mine!

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s the Ennoid XLite v2 wired up for 20s

3 Likes

Looks like a challenging battery build for sure! Really cool work :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Yeah this has been my most challenging battery to date for sure.

Alright mostly finished with the battery got the BMS in there. Using the Ennoid xlite v2 as mentioned above. This is a recalled version and getting a replacement from @ENNOID. I was informed this is still usable I just have to be very careful so, in it goes. Great customer service.

Next needed to swap in the beefier QS8s and then cross my fingers that all would go well.

It lives!!!

Threw on the motors so that I can see if all goes well. But for some reason I thought I’d be able to use Metrs BT to connect to the Vesc app, wasn’t the case. Did successfully run motor and sensor detection through Metr though.

Still a lot of things to button up like power button, charge port, splicing the can cable for a different remote, mounting, etc. But calling this a win for tonight, need a break and just ride.

9 Likes

So I done fucked up and set myself back a day. I noticed I had the connectors for the xlite BMS charger and battery mixed up. So, went in and fixed that… then while measuring voltage to see if things looked ok hand went limp (I guess) and I shorted the board… which blew the shit out of it (fucking couldn’t believe myself).

So, I had to swap in an LTT (LLT?) smart BMS which is actually what I was originally going to put in anyways (it’s a chonky mf). But that meant needing to do the balance wires again and other stuff. Anyways got it in there and we’re sailing smooth once again.

Also, mounted some Tee Nutz so that I could use my s2 binding as well as a foot stop (not pictured).

Lastly, blue loctited and greased up the gear drives so that they’re ready to mount. Now I need to mount the enclosure and seal it up. Program the VESC and hopefully get a test run before weekends end.

5 Likes

That QS8 looks like a beast of a plug! It makes everything look really small next to it.
Beast mode is in full engagement here. Hats off dude, great work.

2 Likes

Ty Ty. Yeah I used to think XT90s and AS150s were annoying but these QS8s are next level lol. The 20s BMS too, any HV smart BMS really.

2 Likes

…but why?

2 Likes

I was reading those high voltage threads about people running into issues with the xt90s and as150s so thought I’d err on the side of caution

1 Like

Lol interesting, I suppose that works

1 Like

Yeah I think the other option is a jeti 8mm connector which is what @fessyfoo went with. Now granted I’m not going to be connecting and disconnecting my batteries nearly as often. And once connected it doesn’t really matter right…?

1 Like

12s? xt90s / as150 would have worked fine.

This has a mosfet based antispark built into it, so technically you don’t need it inline anyhow.

those HV threads were talking about using QS-8 with a loop key. and for higher voltage they were using QS-8 with a higher Ω resistor to counteract out the higher voltage. as150/xt90 is like ~5.7Ω the jeti 8mm iused is 30Ω.

2 Likes

That’s a prior build. The QS8 is for a new build I’m doing 20s4p P42a with MakerX D100. On my next build I do plan to use the QS8 as a loop key.

Edit: to clarify that’s two new 20s builds that I’ll be using the QS8s in.

3 Likes

i can only pay attention so much… :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

in any event. note that some of those guys ordered the QS-8 with a larger resistor.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yup I got it off @hummieee custom batch.

2 Likes

@Shadowfax this shows the sleeves, but I’ll post another pic where I also capture the motor key

2 Likes

Thanks Jimmy - for anyone looking to do this too, I discovered 8mm skate bearing spacers are good for it

2 Likes

Here’s a photo of what I mean by encapsulating the motor key with the sleeve.

5 Likes

Reminds me of a plain ol shaft collar

4 Likes