iWonder Discovery 120D Cloudwheel discussion

I get 16-18 miles on my belt drive 12S5P 30Q on clever tires fully inflated.

I get about 30-35 miles when i swap them with boas.

I get 30-35 miles on my direct drives with boas on a 12S4P 30Q.

I realize its anecdotal and varies per rider, but even the Lacroix Jaws only claims 16-22 miles on a 12S4P 30Q pack.

Pneumatics are serious battery hogs.

5 Likes

No, I haven’t. I ride 6 shooters and 107s. I’m a big advocate of pnumies. Thane has no place in esk8 unless you have great streets. Even then, pneumatics are softer, have more grip, and their size and nature makes them much safer.

For thane, I hate where the industry is. Tb makes 110s with keg core. Abec sees it as a copy so they decide mastercarve 111s just to be dbags.
We need to go backwards. Hummie has the right idea. Wider wheels!!

I want the og e-flys so bad. Just to know. I don’t get why Chris changed the wheel instead of us changing pulleys. DUMB

Who’s making these???

1 Like

30t? Or 40t.

I wonder why do the dds get such good range? The free roll? I want a 4wd 60kv DD on 6x3s.

Why do you like boas so much? I’d think 120s geared to the same speed would be cool, have you tried?

Edit - just looked at my clevers- you run 70 psi?!?! What are you geared, and dual 6355s?

30Q. I didn’t mean to type 30T.

Probably because there’s zero loss in torque transfer, way better free roll, are most often matched with urethane.

1 Like

iWonder. Can’t see whether the cores are old style or new.

You are in the minority there. TB 110s are a vastly superior wheel.

4 Likes

There’s more than just chris chaput being a dbag there. Also, kegel cores are superior over abec cores in a number of ways. The most notable is that there is ONE kegel core hole pattern standard and at minimum TWO abec “style” hole pattern standards. Another is that the Abec “style” cores often break their teeth.

2 Likes

You could say that the Flywheel core has a lot of momentum and is hard to slow down and cease production of new wheels featuring it.

Kegel core is like kegel exercises, not everyone does it but they prob should.

2 Likes

The dad joker in me is having a lot of fun right now.

2 Likes

take the belts off a pneumatic board and try to kickpush it like a regular manual board. You’ll be sweating and tired in less than 50 meters. thats why :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I agree 100 that keg cores win. The abec and abec clone cores shit is so dumb.

Makes sense on no torque loss from belt tension. I’m glad the Tb dds didn’t end up being crap. People seem to really dig them.

1 Like

I like my honeycomb wheels and are being fully utilized. They work as intended to absorb the blind man strips harsh shock effect… they also work well with range. I would however not recommend them as the build quality of the core is poor and only interfaces with the Abec Clone standard and not original Abec pulleys.

I’m waiting for a 100mm honeycomb version (basically just equally distributed holes) of the TorqueBoard wheel with harfang type threads, which may never happen, but I’m still hopeful. It would be the dream wheel. I’m a fan of thane, riding too soft on pneumatic wheels makes me complacent by not being able to feel the ground fully. Have always been into sports vehicles, rather than luxury cruisers.

1 Like

I’m glad they work good! Hope I can try some soon!!! This will lead to lots of wheels with odd cutouts trying to copy!

As far as harfang, I always thought they were over priced dumb. No idea if removing contact patch can really help ?

Has somebody tried this icloud conversion kit for hub motors > https://www.icloudwheel.com/collections/cloudwheels/products/wheel-pulley-kits-for-cloudwheel-discovery-version (sorry if I missed it)?

Perhaps in particular with the Backfire Mini?

Will other cloud wheels, e.g. from MBS or Slickrevolution, depicted below work with this kit @Hide?

There’s a thread floating around here discussing those adapters but I imagine in the DIY group they won’t be that popular

So what was the verdict did thay do anything to fined the cause or just deny there was any problem?

Got a link may be? Thanks!

1 Like

Carvlabs adds at wheels to meepos in the same manner

1 Like

Does anyone know if you can get a discovery kit with 5m-htd suitable pulleys ?

Boardnamics press-fits work in the new cloudwheels well (Or have been for me)

You can also use some bolt ons including dickyho ones

1 Like