iWonder Discovery 120D Cloudwheel discussion

I got the replacements and they sent me the same old black cores. Too afraid to try them

2 Likes

Oof. That’s lame.

1 Like

I can’t read all of this thread. Tell me if cloudwheels are terrible or not.

3 Likes

Original Foamies/Cloudwheels: ride into the danger zone. Cores explode.

Discovery core: just might be ok. Cores have not exploded for me.

Overall: They ride pretty darn well. Not the smooth glide of 110s, but better over rough terrain/in shit weather. Legit.

4 Likes

do they fall apart still? People keep asking me but i want to say they’re battery hogs.

Jury is out on Discovery, but my set of clear cores is holding up well. I’d say a 15% range hit vs. 110s.

5 Likes

perfect. you’re a gem, bill.

3 Likes

Truck stop tiger eye or flawless diamond?

3 Likes

Flawless, my man. Simply flawless.

1 Like

(All the above pertains to the 120mm not the newer 105 mm, BTW.)

4 Likes

That they are. The soft ride comes at a price.

My original 120mm cloud wheels had 27% less range compared to abec 74a 107’s :frowning:

3 Likes

same pulleys?

elofty direct drives

Hey Damon! Onearmedboy from Denver here. Tell Jayke hi for me!!

Anyways - I just don’t get the point of these wheels. Big hollow spaces with zero support. Stupid tread pattern. And with the battery loss it almost seems pointless- my pneumatics seem about the same drag but ride so much better.

I’m starting to think thane doesn’t have any business on a motorized vehicle, even my 107s just feel… bad. I’ve heard it said- there’s a reason top fuel dragsters don’t use giant thane wheels lol

2 Likes

That’s pretty normal. Softer and bigger wheel. You probably gained quite a bit of top speed. Normally you’d change gear ratios to compensate for different wheels. Gotta buy the correct kv motor, the 60kv is ideal for 120s but honestly I’d rather ride shark wheels.

2 Likes

The biggest tradeoff on pneumatics over thane is choosing grip over range. Pneumatics won’t slip but they eat half your range.

1 Like

There’s no way they kill it by fiddy percent… Is there? I guess you’d know. What about those honeycomb wheels? Any experience with them??
@longhairedboy
Could you put cloudwheels on the 4x4 that Jayke had in Denver?

@spade has some of these, I believe.

1 Like

Have you tried them? I wasn’t all that interested until I lucked into a barely-used local set. Between them and my 110s, I’m pretty happy with my current options.