iWonder Discovery 120D Cloudwheel discussion

I did have the caveat “imo” on there and thought u might’ve missed it but since u asked, in my humble opinion that top speed gives just the right amount of torque vs speed. Obv everyone’s preference is different. I’m also a larger dude at 210 so take it as you will. Whats ur flavour?

1 Like

I’m the same weight give or take 5 pounds with gear. I’m running 6380s 16/42T with 110mm on 10s. Not sure what my top speed is calculated. But I got 30mph the other day…might have been on a decline. There’s a specific incline i ride through often and need torque

1 Like

That’s the exact same ratio and wheel size I have planned for my upcoming build :ok_hand: I was running a 15/40 on 97mm wheels and the torque was mental- top speed was also only around 40kph (25mph). Bumped up the pinion 1 tooth and its riding perfectly now. Much cheaper to change the pinion than the pulley too…

2 Likes

The lines in rafaels pictures of the transparent cores it looks like flow lines, these happen because the mould is complicated and the molten plastic has to travel a long way, cooling a bit, reducing the pressure etc. and thus showing where it comes together. Most injection moulded products have this. A nice example is this:
Flow-Line

This is not necessarily bad, however these lines do have theoretically reduced strength.

Also it looks like a roughly milled mould, polishing or sandblasting it would go a long way.

2 Likes

Ya I think a few others, namely @pkasanda have advocated for sand blasting as a finishing process that will clean up the mould lines etc… I would really love these wheels to be kosher bc I want to run them on a planned build so badly

1 Like

Hi,every one
have a good day!

5 Likes

Hi Hide
You too!

3 Likes

Today I was watching Portable Electric Vehicle’s 105D youtube video and he mentioned cloudwheels 135 version. Does anybody have any info about these? These wheels will be huge.

Here’s the video, timestamp 4:00

EDIT: Portable Electric Vehicle confirmed it in the comments: “Boundmotors is making a cloudwheel 130 or 135mm. Those will be rad!”

3 Likes

Another thing that was mentioned in the video was the urethane on the 105mm. It was described as softer. Does anyone know if they have actually changed urethane?

I’m curious.

105mm cloud wheels or 110mm 72a TB wheels or just 100mm Tb or hyperdrive wheels?

1 Like

I hesitate between 107 74A and 110 72A.

1 Like

All are probably good options. Haven’t tried the TB, but I’d say the cloudwheels could have the advantage on shittier surfaces, pavings, blind-friendly features, cracks and going up small kerbs, due to the rounder profile. Whereas the TB would have more grip on good surfaces.
You’d also be able to wear the TB down to 70mm whereas it’s not sure how much wear the cloudwheels can handle. 8-10mm wear would definitely expose the foam core, which I imagine would be critical. So overall, despite being cheaper, on the long run, they’d lose against the TB.

3 Likes

Alexnz nailed it.

Newb question.

Should there be bearings on both sides of this pulley that came with the 105mm cloudwheels?

I don’t think so. that circle inside the prongs looks like it would press against the wheel’s bearing right? So when you bolt everything down, it would be fine.

Can you show me the other side of the pulley? I want to see what the gear side look like

2 Likes

Also, how many teeth does that pulley have out of curiosity? Did they recommend a particular size or did u just grab the one that u wanted? When I was looking at the site last the pulleys seemed to be grouped by which production board they went with (exway etc…)

Edit: nvm. I see that the tooth counts are now listed along side the brand.

They sent me the ownboard version which has 44t

1 Like

I want to try street wheels for the first time on esk8. Did they fix the core crack problem with the 120mm discovery version?

Thumbs up from me so far after 250+ kms.

4 Likes

Exciting times :smiley: :metal: Here’s to hoping for 500 seamless km’s :crossed_fingers:

Has anyone tried the 105mm?

1 Like