iWonder Discovery 120D Cloudwheel discussion

I’m glad they work good! Hope I can try some soon!!! This will lead to lots of wheels with odd cutouts trying to copy!

As far as harfang, I always thought they were over priced dumb. No idea if removing contact patch can really help ?

Has somebody tried this icloud conversion kit for hub motors > https://www.icloudwheel.com/collections/cloudwheels/products/wheel-pulley-kits-for-cloudwheel-discovery-version (sorry if I missed it)?

Perhaps in particular with the Backfire Mini?

Will other cloud wheels, e.g. from MBS or Slickrevolution, depicted below work with this kit @Hide?

There’s a thread floating around here discussing those adapters but I imagine in the DIY group they won’t be that popular

So what was the verdict did thay do anything to fined the cause or just deny there was any problem?

Got a link may be? Thanks!

1 Like

Carvlabs adds at wheels to meepos in the same manner

1 Like

Does anyone know if you can get a discovery kit with 5m-htd suitable pulleys ?

Boardnamics press-fits work in the new cloudwheels well (Or have been for me)

You can also use some bolt ons including dickyho ones

1 Like

ok I’m pulling the trigger on the 120mm Discovery wheels I wanna try street wheels for the first time on esk8. I’ll report back after a week or so of riding.

2 Likes

How about someone modifying current TB110s?

My take on this is using any other vendors pulleys will invalidate what’s left of a warranty.

Jury out on discovery version, but be prepared for a ‘those pulleys broke it’ situation

2 Likes

Does anyone know the delivery time for the cloud wheels. The site says up to 18 days but with this COVID thing going on who really knows.

I still don’t get why they insist on continuing to use a PC/ABS blend. The Discovery core thicker spokes don’t help the root problem which is that the bearing outer race is where most wheels cracked, and that wasn’t changed geometrically on the discovery core. Regardless, geometry changes to this hub won’t solve this problem. As the founder of Metroboard, I can say that we experimented with a few materials for our molded wheel pulleys used on the MetroboardX. We tried 30% Glass Filled Nylon and also a PC/ABS blend. Our pulleys also have a light press fit bearing inside. With the PC/ABS blend (what cloudwheels supposedly use), we consistently saw cracks form around the bearing support due to the stress of pressing the bearings in + riding stresses. With the glass filled nylon, we did NOT. PC/ABS is simply too brittle and not a good choice for a hub that is exposed to both the stress of inserting bearings and the stress of being ridden on. Conclusion: Change hub material to either a glass filled Nylon or a reinforced TPU. Both materials are tough, have some give to them, and will not crack nearly as easily as PC/ABS. I have relayed this multiple times to iWonder, but so far with deaf ears. Frustrating, since it’s such an easy fix. And the cost to change to these materials is not significant. Admittedly if the mold was designed around PC/ABS, the shrink rate may be different, so they may need to make a new mold for these alternate materials, but that cost should be in the noise compared to the warranty costs of wheels that are likely to fail before their useful life.

20 Likes

@Hide :arrow_up:

7 Likes

Weren’t you the one that don’t believe is using bearing spacers though?

1 Like

Ok can I get someone to make me some push-fit flywheel core fillers they would go halfway to meet the normal push fit pulley, haggy in my case. The haggy pulleys have some rotational slop in these cores so the core filler® could prob interlock with the pulleys using a wedge to stop the pulleys moving.

@surfnacho you were doing some sick 3D printing ya?

then some glue will be required.

1 Like

its been awhile guys, hows the 105 holding up?

1 Like

2 Likes

This is a pic of a 105 after riding on really rough worn down pavement trail for about 3 miles. The urethane has all types of small tears in the center tread.