Is this a good bet?

Thanks @b264 @BillGordon @Linny @BigZwatt for the advice. I lurk enough to know that I should be skeptical of these websites, but it’s good to double check.

Also, we need a list of reputable vs. non-reputable vendors or something. I know everyone has opinions on all that but still, I feel like we need one.

2 Likes

You’re right on the trusted vendor list. It exists, but we’re looking for ways to make it even better.

As for your needs, if you can give more details on your ride goals and current setup, you’ll get even better/more useful answers.

2 Likes

also of note the site is not secure, even when proceeding to checkout

3 Likes

I’m definitely planning on getting a new enclosure, but what I get depends on what battery I get.

I’m looking for something that can push me around locally for the day. I never use much more than 15 miles any single time but I’d like to have 20 miles of range just in case.

I have just a deck that was laying around my house that I’m using right now, but it’s not that sturdy, so I’ll probably have to switch that out too.

Jeez at this point I should just make a new board.

Budget is keyyyyyyy. I’m a poor student. I don’t make money often, but when I do it’s never enough.
I’ve got some money to throw at it, but not a lot.

Also you don’t want to see the current enclosure situation. It shall make your eyes bleed.

here is a thread for trusted vendors

2 Likes

@wandagoner Ah thanks, I couldn’t find one so I didn’t know it existed.

Now you’ve just entered BKB territory. This is, right now, the best deal in DIY:

Trusted vendor, great reviews, slam dunk.

5 Likes

:drooling_face:

I’m on their emailing list but I must have missed the email that announced it. Now I have to find $800.
Where did I put that emergency drug money?

6 Likes

So let’s back up a bit, then.

What’s your desired budget?

@bordboy as bill stated Build Kit Boards are a good site. be mindful of shipping though your profile does not state your location, you should be mindful that if you need to ship batteries via air it can add about $80 that may not be clearly outlined until after you have checked out. i guess said another way, it may save on overall cost to purchase some components regionally. i read somewhere that its good to spend more on vendors and less on shipping.

2 Likes

I don’t really have one, because it’s more of a buy as I get the funding sort of thing. I don’t have enough patience or time to really save any significant amount, so things get bought as needed, and when I want to upgrade I’ll save a little and buy whatever I needed.

That being said, something under $1000 is ideal.

You are doing me a bamboozle.

3 Likes

The plan is to compile all the birthday money I get, because I’m young, and see if it’s anywhere near enough to put me close to $1000

Otherwise I’ll just keep riding my $500 sketch machine

3 Likes

Well, if you end up with enough for BKB, it’s a fun DIY project as well as a great board.

I’ve definitely already entered, just at the minimal level. Only what the sketch budget supports. :+1:

Yup. Small-brained it. Edited.

The LiFePO4 are prismatic bag cells and are very, very good batteries for commuter boards, but an awkward size. They don’t sag much or really any at all*, they last a long, long time and they deal with cold weather much better than lithium-ion. But they have about 1/3 the range per weight, that’s about their only downfall. I have that exact battery in 3 boards.

Plus what @Mobutusan said about the non-LiFePO4 cells and the non-LG MH1 cells

*by the time you feel any sag, you have about 5% or less battery left until it’s exhausted

1 Like

I don’t think they are Samsung 22P, but they are likely pretty comparable to the 22P cells.

Metroboard doesn’t sell anything that’s low-quality, it’s not their game.

They are some kind of generic cell that’s pretty decent as far as I’m aware, but I don’t know which ones.

2 Likes

Im stealing this name for the next build :sweat_smile:

I’ve said this before, there is something primal satisfying about riding something fast and dangerous with the gnawing of potential catastrophe so present in the hind brain its like a micro-dose of drugs. Instead of a huge burst of adrenaline, theres a slight trickle , like an IV. Enough to keep you on edge, but too little to really give you blind strength or courage. That beautiful, silver lining between Hero and bugsplat.

2 Likes