Is this a good bet?

Also you don’t want to see the current enclosure situation. It shall make your eyes bleed.

here is a thread for trusted vendors

2 Likes

@wandagoner Ah thanks, I couldn’t find one so I didn’t know it existed.

Now you’ve just entered BKB territory. This is, right now, the best deal in DIY:

Trusted vendor, great reviews, slam dunk.

5 Likes

:drooling_face:

I’m on their emailing list but I must have missed the email that announced it. Now I have to find $800.
Where did I put that emergency drug money?

6 Likes

So let’s back up a bit, then.

What’s your desired budget?

@bordboy as bill stated Build Kit Boards are a good site. be mindful of shipping though your profile does not state your location, you should be mindful that if you need to ship batteries via air it can add about $80 that may not be clearly outlined until after you have checked out. i guess said another way, it may save on overall cost to purchase some components regionally. i read somewhere that its good to spend more on vendors and less on shipping.

2 Likes

I don’t really have one, because it’s more of a buy as I get the funding sort of thing. I don’t have enough patience or time to really save any significant amount, so things get bought as needed, and when I want to upgrade I’ll save a little and buy whatever I needed.

That being said, something under $1000 is ideal.

You are doing me a bamboozle.

3 Likes

The plan is to compile all the birthday money I get, because I’m young, and see if it’s anywhere near enough to put me close to $1000

Otherwise I’ll just keep riding my $500 sketch machine

3 Likes

Well, if you end up with enough for BKB, it’s a fun DIY project as well as a great board.

I’ve definitely already entered, just at the minimal level. Only what the sketch budget supports. :+1:

Yup. Small-brained it. Edited.

The LiFePO4 are prismatic bag cells and are very, very good batteries for commuter boards, but an awkward size. They don’t sag much or really any at all*, they last a long, long time and they deal with cold weather much better than lithium-ion. But they have about 1/3 the range per weight, that’s about their only downfall. I have that exact battery in 3 boards.

Plus what @Mobutusan said about the non-LiFePO4 cells and the non-LG MH1 cells

*by the time you feel any sag, you have about 5% or less battery left until it’s exhausted

1 Like

I don’t think they are Samsung 22P, but they are likely pretty comparable to the 22P cells.

Metroboard doesn’t sell anything that’s low-quality, it’s not their game.

They are some kind of generic cell that’s pretty decent as far as I’m aware, but I don’t know which ones.

2 Likes

Im stealing this name for the next build :sweat_smile:

I’ve said this before, there is something primal satisfying about riding something fast and dangerous with the gnawing of potential catastrophe so present in the hind brain its like a micro-dose of drugs. Instead of a huge burst of adrenaline, theres a slight trickle , like an IV. Enough to keep you on edge, but too little to really give you blind strength or courage. That beautiful, silver lining between Hero and bugsplat.

2 Likes

I need to measure my case. I noticed the thick packs are 70 mm ?! weirdness. Still thanks. If it fits ill sit

anybody know if they are bypassing for discharge? I ordered the 10s8p and i want to get the full 80 amps but their website says 30 amps. I also want to see if anybody knows if they actually have a bms in general?

1 Like

Ok, so I went ahead and bought the 10s8p pack. It wasnt bypassed but it was simple enough to just change the location of the negative discharge on the bms.

Though these cells have pretty shit discharge current, 8p after bypassing gives me 40A a motor which is ok for this build.

If I bought lg mh1 cells off of imr it would cost me $300, for $350 this prebuilt pack is a real steal.

2 Likes

Interested what kind of range you see. lots of mAh, but probably lots of sag too,