Is the dual 4.2 flipsky vesc really that bad?

I’ve been lurking in forums, YouTube reviews, and subreddits for a few months now, and am working out a plan for building a new board. This board would be 2WD, using Flipsky (or Maytech, if I find myself with slightly more disposable income) 6374s @ 190kv. The board would be powered by two 5000mhA 6s 40c Lipos in series, connected to some sort of vesc.

On paper, the Dual 4.20 Flipsky VESC in BLDC is perfect: high continuous discharge, 12s support, and at a reasonable price. However, the countless complaints about Flipsky has left me reconsidering. I don’t need a super high-end esc, but I don’t want to be paying for a piece of crap.

I have yet to see a dual-drive vesc that is reasonably priced (sub 200) and delivers in performance and reliability. Using two Maytech 4.12s might be an option, but I haven’t heard much regarding them, and am hesitant to take a bath as a test subject.

If there are any vesc suggestions you guys have that match the planned specs and budget, I’d love to hear them.

3 Likes

On thanksgiving last year, they sent a mass email literally thanking forum members by their username for finding & making solutions to crippling design flaws to their escs. Meaning they couldn’t be bothered to fix it themselves.

I think that says enough about Flipsky.

4 Likes

…yikes.

2 Likes

Buy some focboxes instead. Lots of good deals on used ones you can find right now.

Also, Flipsky motors will be fine. It’s hard to mess motors up.

4 Likes

I’ll have to look into the used market more, but it looks promising. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

Things I would trust a flipsky 4.2 with.

1. Robot
  2. Ebike
  3. Go-kart

Things I would not trust a flipsky 4.2 with

1. Robot with a knife
  2. Ebike that goes over 15mph
  3. Go-kart without physical brakes
  4. Any electric skateboard

I’m told the 6.6 flipsky is better, but I’m still personally going to continue using my OG focboxes.

9 Likes

i’ve seen far more dead v6 fsescs compared to 4.12/4.2 in the last few weeks.

1 Like

Only Trampa sells VESC. Not Flipsky

4 Likes

Two singles is much preferred over a dual :+1:

That way when (not if) one fails you don’t have to buy both again.

3 Likes

4.2 has some crappy components that can kill the mcu i have 2 with fried mcu on one side. A drv replacement is a easier fix than mcu and all the 3.3 v components. I wont buy another because of this shitty design. A 5c regulator can destroy 1/2 the board.

1 Like

If you want a reliable esk8, delete flipsky from your vocabulary.

4 Likes

The 6.6 dual is solid even at higher currents i have broken a few but they are easy to fix.

1 Like

Mine lasted 3km. Not my definition of solid.

3 Likes

Let than 5 metres but it was the antispark so i bypassed it and has done a few hundred km since.

Mine was the version with no antispark. After 3km, one side of the esc completely shit itself. No explanation.

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again #fuckflipsky

1 Like

No power on that side it will be mcu, faulty drv will have led ect… I have been lucky just blown AS and dvr and capacitor that fell off, and broken usb on 2, a faulty coil fuck your are right they are crap.

1 Like

I have no time for shit like that. Flipsky has failed me 3 times with different things. Enough for me to never touch another of their products again.

2 Likes

I was actually just about to buy a 4.2 Flipsky :grimacing: and I saw this thread. (Working on my first build) What ESC’s would y’all recommend as an alternative (I’m running 12s)

EDIT: added link to the part I was considering

Flipsky = :game_die:

All my shit from them has been great, but I’ve never purchased any 4.2 stuff or the full size 6.6 dual.

BUT, there are better options now. A maker-x dual is about the same price. 2x single generic 4.12s could actually be cheaper. 2x neobox 4.xx would be a bit more (still sub 200) but then you might get focbox performance/reliability.

All this advice is moot if you can wait a bit, save some pennies, and go in on one of the next gen ESCs for the newer HW, for around $100 per.

2 Likes

Two of those neobox 4’s is actually a little bit cheaper than the flipsky 4.2 (not considering shipping). I might go with that option. What would I need to do to set up communication between the two since it isn’t dual with can bus already built in? (basically how would I interface the two to set up the master/slave)

1 Like